PDA

View Full Version : Clutch plate order 999

Gizmo
01.05.2006, 08:00 PM
Anyone got a breakdown of which plate goes where when refitting plates to a 999? Can't work out which way round I took em out today, that'll teach me to stop for coffee half way through :(

Screwy
01.05.2006, 08:37 PM
Dont you mean "that will teach me to stop for a double chocolate latte hazelnut mocha expresso with whipped cream and brandy snap halfway through " ??

;):D:D:D:p

MartinH
01.05.2006, 08:43 PM
Is there nothing on the Multistrada cd I gave you? I am sure (ish) the clutches will be very similar.

Gizmo
01.05.2006, 08:44 PM
Dont you mean "that will teach me to stop for a double chocolate latte hazelnut mocha expresso with whipped cream and brandy snap halfway through " ??

;):D:D:D:p

Hey, when were you in our kitchen?? :D :D Actually it was a giant cookie not the brandy snap :D :D

Gizmo
01.05.2006, 08:46 PM
Is there nothing on the Multistrada cd I gave you? I am sure (ish) the clutches will be very similar.

yeah, i've looked at that and have worked the order out, its the concave plate I can't do, can't work out which way round it goes, its not marked :(

Lily
01.05.2006, 09:12 PM
M

Start with a steel then alternate each until you get to the outside which should be at a depth of approx 4.5mm

You need to line the 'notch' bits up so the pressure plate fits correctly.

rockjock620
01.05.2006, 09:41 PM
Anyone got a breakdown of which plate goes where when refitting plates to a 999? Can't work out which way round I took em out today, that'll teach me to stop for coffee half way through :(

RTFI Michael, if you have some.........dunno basically, sorry!

alane
02.05.2006, 07:49 AM
Don't know if this will work: captured from the 04 workshop manual:
Fit the set of clutch plates (18) in
the following order:
- 1 sintered plate (A);
- 1 convex plate (B) (convex side
facing outwards);
- 1 sintered plate (C) ;
- 1 flat plate (D) (1.5 mm thick);
- 1 sintered plate (E) ;
- 1 convex plate (F) (convex side
facing inwards);
- 1 sintered plate (G) ;
- 1 flat plate (H) (1.5 mm thick);
- 1 sintered plate (I) ;
- 1 convex plate (J) (convex side
facing inwards);
- 1 sintered plate (K) ;
- 1 flat plate (L) (1.5 mm thck);
- 1 sintered plate (M) ;
- 1 convex plate (N) - (convex side
facing outwards) ;
- 1 sintered plate (O) ;
- 1 flat plate (P) (1.5 mm thick);
- 1 sintered plate (Q) ;
- 1 flat plate (R) (2 mm thick).
Drive bearing (19) into pressure
plate (20) and fit the circlip (22) to
hold the bearing in place.
Fit guide pin (21) into bearing (19).
Working from the opposite side,
fit the clutch pushrod into the
alternator cover inner hole. The rod
should be complete with new -duly
greased- OR seals. OR seal side
should face outwards. Then fit
springs, new spring retainers and
screws onto pressure plate.
Fit the pressure plate onto the
flange and then snug the six screws
by hand.
Tighten the screws to the
specified torque, working crossways
(Section B).

alane
02.05.2006, 07:54 AM
To go with the above text:

Derek
02.05.2006, 08:43 AM
Jings! How many convex plates has that clutch got? I made it four. All the other Ducati clutches I've ever seen have usually only got one.
I see that the first plate fitted is a friction plate, this is interesting because this has been a point of discussion on the Yahoo st2-owners forum recently. It acts as a damper and stops the clattering when the bike is in neutral. I've done it to my own bike and it works.
Looking at the diagram I see that there are only 4 springs so the action must be a good deal lighter too. I wonder if I could get away with leaving 2 of them off.

Freak
02.05.2006, 09:15 AM
Mikey, there should be a punched dot on the plate this should be faing outwards from memory, and there is usually just the one... if the clutch is graunching it's probably become flat over time thus it's need replacing

Gizmo
03.05.2006, 04:17 PM
Mikey, there should be a punched dot on the plate this should be faing outwards from memory, and there is usually just the one... if the clutch is graunching it's probably become flat over time thus it's need replacing

well thought i had it sussed, there are 4 thinner plates and 6 thicker, all seem perfectly flat on a flat surface, none are marked. think i've got them back how they were but i'd love to know how to do it properly.