PDA

View Full Version : This deserves a new thread

CJK
10.08.2009, 09:30 AM
luv this...someones gonna tell me its a pile of poo poo aren't they:rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gilera-Saturno-Bialbero_W0QQitemZ290337254658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item439972ed02&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

kennybrown
10.08.2009, 09:46 AM
I think that looks great , are you gona go for it then ?.

CJK
10.08.2009, 10:09 AM
Naw Kenny,will be out my budget....I am looking for something for everyday use however,summit that can be left out in the rain in the work car park for 12 hours without getting stressed about it...nae doubt it will be japanese.

kennybrown
10.08.2009, 10:16 AM
Buy a van !!. It,ll be winter soon and when your bike breaks down you can lob the bike in the back ....easy. Thats what i do anyway, think i,m going to Hopetoun House with the van with the bike in the back. :eek::eek:

239desmo
10.08.2009, 12:19 PM
They are quite rare although from memory there were 2 for sale last year at Stafford show.
Not a bike as a winter hack!
From memory the last one I saw fetched over 3k.
Advert is stretching it to suggest it is up with a Supermono in desirability! :)
Kenny has a valid point about a van.
I started off looking for a winter hack at 500. within a month I had convinced myself that I would need to spend 2k to get something bulletproof and reliable etc for winter motoring and at that point I thought if I buy a van I can travel in winter warm and dry and at the same time move bikes around when I need to.
Ever since buying the van it has been used every week to move a bike, either mine or a pal that borrows it, or just to take stuff for recyling or furniture back from B& Q etc.
Wouldn't be without one now!

CJK
10.08.2009, 12:30 PM
They are quite rare although from memory there were 2 for sale last year at Stafford show.
Not a bike as a winter hack!
From memory the last one I saw fetched over 3k.
Advert is stretching it to suggest it is up with a Supermono in desirability! :)
Kenny has a valid point about a van.
I started off looking for a winter hack at 500. within a month I had convinced myself that I would need to spend 2k to get something bulletproof and reliable etc for winter motoring and at that point I thought if I buy a van I can travel in winter warm and dry and at the same time move bikes around when I need to.
Ever since buying the van it has been used every week to move a bike, either mine or a pal that borrows it, or just to take stuff for recyling or furniture back from B& Q etc.
Wouldn't be without one now!

not just a winter hack i'm after, something to use if the weathers a bit iffy,sick of having a licence and only getting the 916 out on gaurenteed(if such a thing exists)dry days.
There's an old Moto Guzzi I seen advertised somewhere...30 + k miles and still going strong,V50 i think it was gutless old things though aren't they?

239desmo
10.08.2009, 01:08 PM
Wasn't the fastest thing on 2 wheels but you have shaft drive.
Power output about the same as the Ducati and Laverda offerings at the time (50 give or take a few)
Gizmo will give you the low down on any problems with them.
Haven't ridden a V50 but would think the gearchange will be usual Guzzi...........send the gearbox a postcard when you think a change is getting close!:)
If you are thinking of something of this age what about a Pantah? Still see them coming up at 1k'ish and prices are on the up.
You have a chain but better handling and it is a Ducati.

Derek
11.08.2009, 08:21 AM
I had a V50II as a hack bike for around 12 years. It was absolutely gutless. It was claimed to have 50bhp - well they must have been very small horses. Performance was about on par with a British 500 of the sixties. I'd say about 30 bhp if it was lucky. Top whack was about 105mph, maybe a bit more if the wind or the slope was in the right direction.
It was reliable though and with the shaft drive needed minimal maintenance. The brembo brakes were good too but were much improved by ditching the front cable operated master cylinder and replacing it with a conventional one on the bars. I also did away with the linked braking so that I could use the rear independently for winter use on icy roads. Gearchange wasn't to bad either as far as Guzzis go.