PDA

View Full Version : Laverda craziness

Gizmo
25.01.2010, 12:13 PM
Just had this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAVERDA-500-MONTJUIC-MK-I_W0QQitemZ110483817116QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item19b959429c) link sent to me , looks like Monty's are about to go through the same madness as 750SFC's did a few years ago :)

That is a gorgeous example and looks like new , wonder what it'll end up going for?

BruceCampbell
25.01.2010, 12:43 PM
Well it is mint with great history.....but it is still ridiculous:eek: watching with interest to see what the final price is!! Wish I had kept my Monty and come to think of it the Jota also in fact just about all the bikes I have owned!!!!:D

239desmo
25.01.2010, 01:40 PM
Worth twice that I'm sure! ;) :)

Interesting if this is a one off or will it kickstart their values as they have lagged behind the relatively common Jota.

mbg
25.01.2010, 07:09 PM
Gorgeous looking bike and I do suspect it will keep on rising. Wonder when the old Alpino will be worth something. Might be worth putting it back together again. :D

ShedBob
25.01.2010, 08:12 PM
It does look like a good one doesn't it.
Just the thing for the vertically challenged.

ShedBob

239desmo
25.01.2010, 10:15 PM
Just the thing for the vertically challenged.
ShedBob

If you are much over 6' then it will mean it looks as if the bike is wearing you, but to be honest I was warned how cramped they were but compared to a bevel single they are actually fairly comfy as everything kind of falls into place with bars, footpegs and seat.
Once you are moving it all makes perfect sense. Loud and perfect! :lol2:

Krankitover
26.01.2010, 05:30 PM
looking at the condition and work that has been done i doubt if it has reached what it cost to to build yet

69jme69
26.01.2010, 11:40 PM
looking at the condition and work that has been done i doubt if it has reached what it cost to to build yet

or he couldve bought a "new " bike

69jme69
26.01.2010, 11:42 PM
Once you are moving it all makes perfect sense. Loud and perfect! :lol2:

does perfect mean leak oil all over your drive and break down every 500yrds ;)

239desmo
26.01.2010, 11:56 PM
does perfect mean leak oil all over your drive and break down every 500yrds ;)

Oil leaks on older Italian bikes is not an issue by comparison to the British stuff of the same vintage.
The engineering and design was on a different level to most of the British offerings.
If you look at Ducati ,they don't use a head gasket and only oil leak is when the o-ring perishes and that tends to happen when they have been standing unused for years. New o-ring will set you back 50p for a Viton one and should last for years.
Electrics and finish were the problems with Italian bikes not the mechanicals.
Most of the older bikes have had that attended to now and are generally very reliable.
The Monty had issues as it was a development of the Alpino and tended to be caned and combined with an engine that never stopped revving it was a recipe to guarantee problems if all the performance was used.
Everyone with a Monty has an opinion what is a safe limit to use which I have heard range from 8000 to 11000 or more.
Racers reckoned the only rev limit was how badly you wanted to win.
A Monty with it's straight through megas at 8000rpm will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

BruceCampbell
27.01.2010, 01:09 AM
Had another look on Flea Bay and checked out the sellers other items for sale....Its all cutlery and crockery for gawds sake!!! Wot's all that about:eek:

Mike the Bike
28.01.2010, 03:15 PM
Talking of crazy Laverda prices, last month's Classic Bike had a '77 Jota in the classifieds with 7000 miles and the seller wanted 14000 !!

I know Jotas can fetch good money but is that not about double the going rate ?
Always liked big Laverdas since i was a lad but never rode one. Remember in France once following 2 identical red RGS Corsas, the one with the petrol filler cap in the fairing. The guys had come over from Blighty and were touring on them, they sounded and looked great.:D

239desmo
28.01.2010, 03:37 PM
they sounded and looked great.:D

Possibly Laverda prices will start to close on Ducati but certainly 14k for a Jota is way above the usual.
Lavs do sound great (triples and twins) but completely different to old Ducatis.
Get one of each! :D

Gizmo
28.01.2010, 08:01 PM
Talking of crazy Laverda prices, last month's Classic Bike had a '77 Jota in the classifieds with 7000 miles and the seller wanted 14000 !!

I know Jotas can fetch good money but is that not about double the going rate ?
Always liked big Laverdas since i was a lad but never rode one. Remember in France once following 2 identical red RGS Corsas, the one with the petrol filler cap in the fairing. The guys had come over from Blighty and were touring on them, they sounded and looked great.:D

If you ever chance chance to ride an RGS Corsa its one of the best trans europe grand tourers ever made, way better than a Jota yet prices never reflect that. My mate has one and we did a big euro trip in the 90's swapping bikes as we went, I had a ZX7R at the time but the Corsa could keep up even on the real twisty stuff, a brilliant bike and totally under rated in todays classic market.

I'd still be tempted to own a bike like that, BM's R100RS comes pretty close as well plus I can pull the clutch in on that :)

Wassy
28.01.2010, 08:04 PM
Did you see this SFC that sold on Ebay last week

31,200 !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250561271247&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Gizmo
28.01.2010, 08:38 PM
looks like the SFC was John Bisby's bike, last time i saw that was Cadwell for the ILOC do a couple of years ago.