PDA

View Full Version : thread removed/deleted

Gizmo
04.05.2010, 03:35 PM
I've just removed a thread which could have caused me a problem. I have always avoided moderating this forum as there is a grey area in law which could stop me as site owner becoming the publisher and hence the person who get sued. In theory by not moderating I cant be responsible for every word published and hence avoid legal action but I'm not prepared to risk that in court.

Believe it or not you can't post whatever you want on the internet, I'll quote the wiki definition for libel

libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image. It is usually, but not always, a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed

I'd ask that all members think very carefully before making statements that could damage a business, I know at times we get poor service but, as in most things in life, there are always 2 sides and occasionally one can't see the whole picture or simply isn't prepared to accept that there is another side.

I dont want to see poor service being accepted but at the same time please consider the implications of what you post.

This isn't a subject for discussion, I know one other forum owner has made the same decision I have today as we are both concerned at our own personal liabilities, as forum owners we aren't prepared to take that risk and I'd request that members respect that and accept my decision to pull the thread without further discussion.

Thanks, Michael