PDA

View Full Version : Member Map

RobbieT
03.02.2011, 08:12 PM
Ok, this might have been asked/suggested before, but is there a possibility/use for a map option for users of DuN to show their (rough but not exact) location so we can see who is close by. Might be extremely helpfull for new users, as opposed to monitoring where the people posting are from/location stated?????

Also, when searching through threads, is there an option to search for any new threads/posts in a particular time period as opposed to using a keyword search? I know I have read posts that later on I've decided i might like to reply but couldnt remember the title and so couldnt find the post to reply in the search menu. Or am I just being stupid?

miloVanMultistrada
03.02.2011, 08:19 PM
Ok, this might have been asked/suggested before, but is there a possibility/use for a map option for users of DuN to show their (rough but not exact) location so we can see who is close by. Might be extremely helpfull for new users, as opposed to monitoring where the people posting are from/location stated?????

I don't know if this has been done before - but it's certainly something to consider.

Also, when searching through threads, is there an option to search for any new threads/posts in a particular time period as opposed to using a keyword search? I know I have read posts that later on I've decided i might like to reply but couldnt remember the title and so couldnt find the post to reply in the search menu. Or am I just being stupid?

If you use the advanced search option, you can specify you want threads in the last 2 weeks, month, etc:

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/search.php

Another useful way to search is for all posts by a certain member. I often use this because I can remember who was posting in a thread, but not the title or any exact text.

I'm going to move this thread to the Forum and Site Feedback forum as that's where it belongs.

RobbieT
03.02.2011, 08:22 PM
I don't know if this has been done before - but it's certainly something to consider.

If you use the advanced search option, you can specify you want threads in the last 2 weeks, month, etc:

Another useful way to search is for all posts by a certain member. I often use this because I can remember who was posting in a thread, but not the title or any exact text.

I'm going to move this thread to the Forum and Site Feedback forum as that's where it belongs.

cool!

RobbieT
03.02.2011, 08:26 PM

Can I search without using a keyword or member??
I've tried just by date and it wont let me search without entering a word search- which is what i cant remember!
All I rememnber is there was a post today that i want to respond to- Thats all!

Sorry about posting this in the wrong section!!!:comp2:

Scotty
03.02.2011, 08:27 PM
i remember a users map thing , i think it was removed as the developer didnt update it to work with an updated version of the forum software or something ~:?

gordj65
03.02.2011, 08:28 PM
i'm sure there used to be a thread on here about maps, but the general consensus of opinion was that all the bad people were just waiting on us to post our addresses and then they would come round and steel all our bikes.

i didnt really think that would happen myself, not all bad people like ducatis:eek:

Derek
03.02.2011, 08:32 PM
yes there used to be a Members Map, using Frappr Maps or whatever it was called.

RobbieT
03.02.2011, 08:33 PM
all the bad people were just waiting on us to post our addresses and then they would come round and steel all our bikes.

Yeah that was one of my concerns.

So I was thinking of an option, if something like it was possible, for us to put a "rough locaton" on a map in our profile settings if we wish.

Maybe just a flag over a village/town/city borough that opens up with a list of all the members in that area when it is selected?

miloVanMultistrada
03.02.2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah that was one of my concerns.

So I was thinking of an option, if something like it was possible, for us to put a "rough locaton" on a map in our profile settings if we wish.

Maybe just a flag over a village/town/city borough that opens up with a list of all the members in that area when it is selected?

There are mapping sites like this one - http://www.zeemaps.com - which allow you to place markers on a map at the town level. I don't think the town level (unless you live in a really small town) gives too much away, and you could always put your marker in slightly the wrong place if you were concerned.

Here's an example of MTS1200 owners: http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=158028

It's just a question of finding something that interfaces with the forum, or not as the case may be.

Scotty
03.02.2011, 08:39 PM
umm I used to live in Gateshead police station, errm in fact I still do potential thief types honest :)

petzi
03.02.2011, 08:41 PM
i think a simple solution could be to add the location in 'community' -> 'member list'. then you could list up 'n' down to find the nearest user.

RobbieT
03.02.2011, 08:43 PM
i think a simple solution could be to add the location in 'community' -> 'member list'. then you could list up 'n' down to find the nearest user.

Good idea!!!

RobbieT
03.02.2011, 08:46 PM
There are mapping sites like this one - http://www.zeemaps.com - which allow you to place markers on a map at the town level. I don't think the town level (unless you live in a really small town) gives too much away, and you could always put your marker in slightly the wrong place if you were concerned.

Here's an example of MTS1200 owners: http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=158028

It's just a question of finding something that interfaces with the forum, or not as the case may be.

Yeah thats what I was imagining!!!
Is there no way of gettin it to work, not even having a members community networking section in the DuN like petzi said???

miloVanMultistrada
03.02.2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah thats what I was imagining!!!
Is there no way of gettin it to work, not even having a members community networking section in the DuN like petzi said???

I'll put it on the todo list! It's a good idea and is something to look at once the upgrade has happened and I have everything else working.

Gizmo
03.02.2011, 09:08 PM
there was a map based on vbgooglemap by stony arc, a vbulletin.org hack I had big problems with the API and couldn't be bothered to keep fixing it, it was flakey on certain browsers and wouldn't work at all on others http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123148&highlight=googlemap

the plug in is still installed but disabled

there are a couple of vb4 hacks http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=257943&highlight=map

for example.

The problems come as you upgrade forum software which vb do on a regular basis, you have to know which template edits you've done and re -edit each time, its messy and time consuming. i started reducing the number of hacks because of this :(

RobbieT
03.02.2011, 09:13 PM
there was a map based on vbgooglemap by stony arc, a vbulletin.org hack I had big problems with the API and couldn't be bothered to keep fixing it, it was flakey on certain browsers and wouldn't work at all on others http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123148&highlight=googlemap

the plug in is still installed but disabled

there are a couple of vb4 hacks http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=257943&highlight=map

for example.

The problems come as you upgrade forum software which vb do on a regular basis, you have to know which template edits you've done and re -edit each time, its messy and time consuming. i started reducing the number of hacks because of this :(

ooooft!
Was that reply in English?
Didnt understand a word of it!!!
thought I was reasonably ok with computers, now feeling very humbled!!!

miloVanMultistrada
03.02.2011, 09:28 PM

That sounds like a great argument for keeping it in a separate site like zeemaps, and just linking to it.

RobbieT
03.02.2011, 09:38 PM
That sounds like a great argument for keeping it in a separate site like zeemaps, and just linking to it.

Sounds good.
it's better than nothing!

Gizmo
04.02.2011, 07:17 AM
just did a search http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365&highlight=member+map i now remember why i removed it! once you start sharing data with apps outside vbulletin it compromises security and increases the chances of hacking. that member map module had a security vulnerability which the developer did not fix. I had spent hours installing it, fixing bugs then had a system with a big security hole. I've had 2 succesful hacking attempts on our corporate website , both caused by other users on a shared server (which upnorth is) and would not want to leave any hole that could damage others sites. The last one was a few weeks ago , not targeted at us just vandalism but it does happen.

If its a separate map with no link to the upnorth mysql database it'l be a lot more secure.

samieb
04.02.2011, 07:41 AM
To play 'devils advocate', would you really wants a map to show 'Everybody' roughly where you lived? Including the great unwashed/ unwanted thieving scumbags?..

No thanks. Certainly not me..

gordj65
04.02.2011, 08:37 AM
basically, you just want a map with a big red spot over davieravies hoose, saying avoid this place at all costs. and if you do have to go there, leave your wife and any female children over 16 outside:eek::lol2::)

miloVanMultistrada
04.02.2011, 08:55 AM
To play 'devils advocate', would you really wants a map to show 'Everybody' roughly where you lived? Including the great unwashed/ unwanted thieving scumbags?..

Any member map would have to use approximate locations, selecting the nearest major town should be enough. Just to be on the safe side, it should also not include the model or colour of bike owned. The map would of course be voluntary - i.e. users have to add their own details to the map - nothing automatic.

Since most people already list the bikes they own and their location on their DuN profile - visible on each post - I don't see this as a big problem. Also don't forget that some members don't own bikes and some will keep their bikes away from where they live, so seeing a member that lives in Carlisle isn't actually a guarantee that there will be a Ducati there.

If someone in a given area wants to nick bikes, it's far easier just to follow a rider home, or pay the local scallys to lift bike covers and report back...

RobbieT
04.02.2011, 03:15 PM

I wouldnt either if it gave away exact details etc street

BUT
Like Miles says, it of course could be optional, doesnt have to give the bike make/model, and can just indicate a town/village. And we already post roughly where we live and what we own on the forum anyway in the member profile details. So it wouldnt be any different.
Just a quicker/easier way of displaying all the members in your area within, say, 10 miles!

Chiz
04.02.2011, 04:45 PM
Kenny Broon & Wulfie likes maps. Then they can get home OK or find us when we go ooooooot. Put a X at the Green Wellie for Kenny & a X at Mallaig for wulfie.:p:p;)

wulfie
04.02.2011, 05:08 PM
very very funny :P i suppose you could put an X in the middle of the atlantic ocean for chiz its where is most of the time :P drilling for diesel :D

kennybrown
04.02.2011, 07:48 PM
Kenny Broon & Wulfie likes maps. Then they can get home OK or find us when we go ooooooot. Put a X at the Green Wellie for Kenny & a X at Mallaig for wulfie.:p:p;)

Aye................You try readin a map on a bike smarty pants.....:lol2:

bobsyeruncle
04.02.2011, 08:32 PM

Most members show a their location when they post.
Don't think a map showing say 10 members living in glasgow would be likely to result in their bikes getting nicked.

RobbieT
04.02.2011, 09:15 PM
thieving scumbags

speaking of which I got home this afternoon and one of the builders putting up my new conservatory mentioned some of the materials (rolls of lead) had gone missing from the pile of stuff that had been left in my back garden. Then about an hour later my next door neighbour told me she had to shut the conservatory door (left unlocked- the builders have the key but dont lock it as there are so many different workmen coming and going) this morning at about 7am as it was flapping in the wind. I know for a fact I shut it and secured it after letting the cat back in last night. So someone was sniffing around my back garden, in my new conservatory and nicked some lead!

My point is this.
Do these scumbags drive/walk around at night (in this weather?) going into peoples gardens on the off-chance? Or do they drive around during the day down (quiet and residential) streets looking for builder's vans and return in at night to see what has been left lying around?
Either way a pretty sad existence!!!

kennybrown
05.02.2011, 05:37 AM
Your spot on with your point Robbie although most don,t wait till night time to take it.

Mostly drive about in a van or pick-up and any metals they see they lift. Building sites or where people are doing work are usually good places for them as materials are often lying about on site .

Anything with a scrap value they will lift as there.s good money in it.

Done a job in October and had everything lifted from the front garden while at the same time we were building the extension round the back.They even stole the clients gates.:eek: