PDA

View Full Version : Pressure plate, slippers, springs and big thanks to Nelly

Gizmo
04.06.2006, 09:06 PM
I've just fitted a DPP strada slipper clutch to the 999 and wanted to use my black anodised JHP pressure plate ( the red plate didn't look good on a yellow bike), after loads of attempts to find out whether it would fit and being told no, impossible, trying to buy a new Bucci plate and not managing that i called Nelly at CornerSpeed in an attempt to buy the Speedymoto plate. During the conversation he kindly explains how to get my plate to fit and sends me the bolts and spacers to do it. Put it back together using the spacers and the JHP stainless springs and black caps but no joy :( take it all apart go back to the original slipper springs and caps and hey, presto one working slipper with black pressure plate. it looks like the JHP caps were slightly taller than the Bucci/OEM Ducati ones and the spring was a thicker wind so coil bound when i tightened it all up.

Anyway, big, big thanks to Nelly, I owe you a beer fella.

Lily
05.06.2006, 07:12 AM
I've just fitted a DPP strada slipper clutch to the 999 and wanted to use my black anodised JHP pressure plate ( the red plate didn't look good on a yellow bike), after loads of attempts to find out whether it would fit and being told no, impossible, trying to buy a new Bucci plate and not managing that i called Nelly at CornerSpeed in an attempt to buy the Speedymoto plate. During the conversation he kindly explains how to get my plate to fit and sends me the bolts and spacers to do it. Put it back together using the spacers and the JHP stainless springs and black caps but no joy :( take it all apart go back to the original slipper springs and caps and hey, presto one working slipper with black pressure plate. it looks like the JHP caps were slightly taller than the Bucci/OEM Ducati ones and the spring was a thicker wind so coil bound when i tightened it all up.

Anyway, big, big thanks to Nelly, I owe you a beer fella.
Nice one Mikey, we could have picked it up for you as we were there on Saturday :)

Trying hard to resist the bling cabinet but did have a peek at the speedy moto water pump cover which loked very nice.

swannymere
08.06.2006, 05:32 PM
Do you want to sell the red plate?and what make is it?

Gizmo
08.06.2006, 08:49 PM
Do you want to sell the red plate?and what make is it?

not really its been re anodised and is not bright red so i'll probably get it anodised black eventually. its the dpp slipper plate, i'll put it back on 999 and swap the JPP onto the multi when i can afford an open cover.

jamesguschi
08.06.2006, 10:42 PM
I am now seriously thinking of getting a slipper clutch for my 999. I had a very close call at Knockhill on my first track day a couple of weeks ago. I banged it down one gear too much at Scotsman. I leaned into the corner and let the clutch out and the rear wheel locked and I got a massive wobble and skid all the way round the corner. Fotunately no harm done.
Can anybody tell me what the best complete slipper clutch is for my 999 2003
Without it being silly money. The plates look very low the last time I had the cover and springs off.

Gizmo
09.06.2006, 06:16 AM
you can pick them up of eBay for between 450 -500 or just get the DPP strada kit for about 590. there's loads of better versions made by STM etc, 48 tooth, race versions. 48 tooth need special plates as do alloy baskets. i've got the DPP which is made by bucci and quality seems good, Freak might be able to tell you differences between different ramping systems. you need to regrease them about every 500 -1000 miles :eek:

Freak
09.06.2006, 10:31 AM
James,

There are plenty of options available and pros and cons for both:-

The original 748R slipper clutch - This uses 3 ramps to actuate the slipper, main advantages are it's the cheapest option, but this comes at a price as it uses no bearings to ease the operation it simply uses grease on the ramp surfaces which slide together so they need more regular maintenance. Most 748R owners upgrade to a better clutch thus why theses are available usually on ebay estimate around 300

Bucci road and track slipper - Quality item (also badged as a DPP) this uses 6 ramps and bearing to actuate the slipper, the ramp angle is slightly less than the race version which means you only get a certain amount of slip if you're no track riding god this would be my choice, as it's got bearings it requires less maintenance than the above as Gizmo says probably needs regreasing every 1000 road miles or every 2 trackdays, new complete these are around 800 but you'd probably be looking at between 400-500 for one 2nd hand.

Bucci race - Same as the above but the ramps are steeper thus more slip, if your names Gregorio this is for you! ;) I'm guessing a similar price to the above as they're near identical.

STM 12T - The original I suppose, no idea if they still make these 6 post, ramp and bearing as above, I would imagine they'll be identical between the Bucci and STM and probably a similar price and maintenance also.

STM 48T - Pretty much the same again but with a 48T basket, reason being they plates/basket wear better as they have 48 points of contact over the standard 12 (like all other slippers) and they're quieter also because of this, prices will be similar and maintenance will be the same, the downside is the plates and basket are unique to STM and as such carry a premium over standard items and aren't readily available - usually mail order items.

STM Evo - I don't know much about these apart from rather than having 6 springs like most other slippers this uses a diaphram spring, I recall STM stating this gives a smoother action etc but I've no idea if this is correct or not, again the downsides are it's all proprietary kit so you have to buy STM spares, plus I believe you need a special tool to remove the pressure plate which is also expensive.

You then get onto the proper PROPER race items that pop up on ebay here and there...

Ducati Corse (BUCCI I believe) 6/4 post ramp/bearing - same as the above Bucci items some come with 4 titanium posts some with 6 titanium posts, 4 offers slightly less force at the clutch lever over the 6 post, that's the difference, again same ramp/bearing configuration so needs similar maintenance (2 trackdays or 1000 miles) these are all over ebay and do look good, the usual seller does sell all the parts that are needed to fit a road bike with the kit also, some are in good condition and some are quite worn that's the gamble I've seen both ends of the scale, you can also use your standard plates. These also use a different spider spring which you would have to order specially if needed... more later

Ducati Corse (BUCCI I believe) 6/4 post ramp version - same principle as the 748R version (in fact this is the clutch that is used in the 748RS and 749RS I believe) requires more maintenance again because of the lack of bearings has steeper ramps as it's an RS item, again different spider spring so the above applies.

STM race items - I don't know much about these but have seen one or two, I've yet to see one of these pop up on Ebay so no idea on 2nd prices, but you need the correct tools and it's also a 48T basket so you'd need the specific plates again.

There are several others which are technically copies of the Bucci items, I know JHP, Casoli for example make these, FBF (Fast By Ferraci is another one) all are supposedly as good as the originals (I had an FBF clutch without any problems).

Back to spider springs, they're effectively a large washer with 4 or six legs bent at an angle, this provides the degree of slip the clutch has when mated with the angle of the ramps, plus engine revs and wheel speed I guess, they're about 30 quid and do snap, the race (corse) versions use a wider 4 or 6 leg version and the road/race versions use 6 legs only and they're slightly narrower legs, you can't mix and match also.

The ramps or ramps/bearings need a specific type of grease, a high temp moly grease, mine is almost a paste and it's not that cheap, you'll also need a clutch holding tool (anywhere between 50-200) and a good torque wrench capable of 186nm of torque plus 30mm socket and some threadlock also.

Phew..... hope that helps

jamesguschi
10.06.2006, 01:49 PM
Sorry Mate.... Could you type that again Bud.;) ;)

I don't know Bud. I am not really a ' Race Track Demon ' but I did enjoy Knockhill a couple of weeks ago. How many people are actually going to the Monday evening for 18.00 hours.