PDA

View Full Version : hello

rockjock620
31.12.2005, 07:27 PM
Hi everybody, last day of the year, looking forward to a bit of better weather and the chance to get rolling again. Referred to here by Duke of Balerno, having ridden with the Scottish contingent in the Summer, Midgie Masher ride - remember that? Let's hope to get more riding like that. I'm a little distance away from you lot, here in North Yorkshire, but don't mind the distance to team up for rides. I have experience in leading and marshalling and will offer services if needed. Also I know lots of routes, especially over this side of the country, if you want some different roads.

Gizmo
01.01.2006, 11:20 AM
Howdie rockjock, its a long way from Harrogate to do the Midge Masher!! You'll find that there are a few other UpNorth members in North Yorkshire/Lancs/Cumbria etc, we regularly get to Penny Garth Cafe at Hawes which is a nice run out for you from Harrogate or meet at Devils Bridge. Check out the Raid the Lakes threads here, we'll need group leaders and helpers for that one. The Yorkshire section on the main UpNorth website needs content, roads, meet places etc, if you get time over winter add a few of your favourite roads to the forum or send me the details and I'll add them to the main site.

dseered
01.01.2006, 11:35 AM
Welcome RockJock, as Gizmo says, we are going to need some group leaders for RTL ( I prefer the back ) I can see the next RTL meet being a biggy !

rockjock620
01.01.2006, 09:04 PM
Yes, do the Lakes frequently. Can help out anyway you wish. Have roads, cafe/bar stops, scenic viewpoints sorted. Will be there whatever, when the first ride of 06 happens.

rockjock620
01.01.2006, 09:19 PM
Gizmo, don't like detailing routes in public, would much sooner disseminate the info in person and/or lead the rides. Too much publicity for my favourite rides could lead to overcrowding and possible plod alerts. The method for logging routes seems (Like Mr. Kiplings cakes) exceedingly good, but too involved. I confess after looking at it I was confused and bored! Will leave that to others. Were you on the Midgie Masher? I seem to recall discussion from you on the DSC forum, but not sure whether you made it. Scotland is not that far away, I ride there a lot in Summer, making a round trip to include bits of the Dales, the Lakes, the Alston area on a full day out. The Midgie Masher was a little further than normal, so another confession, we trailered up the night before, slept in the car at the services and left with everyone in the morning. We were a little wet when we got back to the car, then drove home..... Great day out.

When I put my rides together I tend to have a theme in mind - "Hills and Valleys of the East" was one - basically 200 miles around the North Yorks Moors, another was "Forts and Fortifications" - Alnwick Castle, Bamburgh Castle, Lindisfarne, Hadrians Wall - you get the drift. It is a simple way of getting a different ride compiled. Anyway enough for the moment, happy riding if you get out.

Oh nearly forgot, the mountain bike riding, keep me informed. I run the club in Harrogate and we ride twice weekly all over the place - we were in the Lakes on Boxing Day, on the Moors 2nd Jan. we'll team up if we get the chance.

Gizmo
01.01.2006, 10:56 PM
Its always best to keep a couple of routes to yourself :) Living on the junction of A6 and A686 Hartside road I'm well used to over crowding and policing :)
You'll find it easier to add routes than the long complicated description makes it, give it a go or just send me your route and I'll add it.

Things like the rides you suggest are perfect, we can add them to the archive in the main site gallery if you've got photos to go with them or just add them as write ups. The main sites meant to be a place where you can read about other riders exploits, I'll add Midge Masher and BDG's trips once I have all the copy and photos, the forums compliment that but I would like more reading content on the main bit.

Yup, I was at Midge Masher for a short while, met up in Ballachulish. We'd ridden up from Penrith via Oban that morning, almost 500 miles in 1 day by the time we got home :eek:

The MTB ride should be 22 Jan weather permitting , its not a serious hardcore ride out ( did you hear that Lily?!!) just a get together and bit of a pedal, probably be the blue run, maybe do a bit of the red descent then back to the Hub for coffee and cake.

Did you do the BikeTreks Boxing Day ride last Monday when you were in the Lakes??

Gizmo, don't like detailing routes in public, would much sooner disseminate the info in person and/or lead the rides. Too much publicity for my favourite rides could lead to overcrowding and possible plod alerts. The method for logging routes seems (Like Mr. Kiplings cakes) exceedingly good, but too involved. I confess after looking at it I was confused and bored! Will leave that to others. Were you on the Midgie Masher? I seem to recall discussion from you on the DSC forum, but not sure whether you made it. Scotland is not that far away, I ride there a lot in Summer, making a round trip to include bits of the Dales, the Lakes, the Alston area on a full day out. The Midgie Masher was a little further than normal, so another confession, we trailered up the night before, slept in the car at the services and left with everyone in the morning. We were a little wet when we got back to the car, then drove home..... Great day out.

When I put my rides together I tend to have a theme in mind - "Hills and Valleys of the East" was one - basically 200 miles around the North Yorks Moors, another was "Forts and Fortifications" - Alnwick Castle, Bamburgh Castle, Lindisfarne, Hadrians Wall - you get the drift. It is a simple way of getting a different ride compiled. Anyway enough for the moment, happy riding if you get out.

Oh nearly forgot, the mountain bike riding, keep me informed. I run the club in Harrogate and we ride twice weekly all over the place - we were in the Lakes on Boxing Day, on the Moors 2nd Jan. we'll team up if we get the chance.

rockjock620
02.01.2006, 08:16 PM
Did our own thing on Boxing Day near Buttermere, the route we did was a bit of an invention on my part and a bit of an adventure too! Started at top of Honister, up and through the Slate mine roads, down Fleetwith, around the Lake UP to the Tarn, then across Red Pike, High Stile down off the col before Haystacks and back up the (road bit) Pass. Quite hard. Vis was poor. Will try and do 22nd, will ask my lot too.

Gizmo
02.01.2006, 09:53 PM
That does sound like a tough adventure ride, I never go riding over that way, daft as its on my doorstep really. As I say 22nd will be an easy pootle on the blue blue run, no doubt you'll be off on the black or into Spooky Woods :)

Do Dicken from Jungle or Guy from What MTB get out with your MTB club??

dseered
02.01.2006, 11:51 PM
It better be bloody easy !

rockjock620
04.01.2006, 08:32 PM
Yes I know Guy very well (he lives just across town, just moved house too) and he has just ordered one of our new club riding tops from me - not bad for a tight arse journo who gets everything for free. Dicken I have met a couple of times - bad smash he had on his mille - don't think he's riding anymore. Jungle sell Santa Cruz and I sell Turner, so a little rivalry there, but all good natured. I will be seeing Guy this week, when the jerseys arrive, will say hello if you wish, but does he know you as Gizmo? Coz I know you as nothing else!

Gizmo
04.01.2006, 08:52 PM
LOL, I know Guy really well, was down at his place in the Boiler House just before XMas for the what MTB day. I hadn't seen him for a while before that. he'll not know me as Gizmo, Michael, Apple computer geek and coffee drinking gobby geordie should be enough.
I work for Orange - Marketing/pr geek :D so a little more rivalry. I take it you are a dealer, probably Psychlosport as its Harrogate??. Jungle are a rival for us as well but they have Stif who are one of our best dealers :D Dickens a mate, he'll probably not ride again, it was a bad smash and it took him a long time to recover.

check out the link I posted on the garmin thread, its a 3d google earth map national trail in South Mountain, Phoenix, one of my favorite trails in the world, Guy should remember that one AIR he smashed himself on it (again).

Yes I know Guy very well (he lives just across town, just moved house too) and he has just ordered one of our new club riding tops from me - not bad for a tight arse journo who gets everything for free. Dicken I have met a couple of times - bad smash he had on his mille - don't think he's riding anymore. Jungle sell Santa Cruz and I sell Turner, so a little rivalry there, but all good natured. I will be seeing Guy this week, when the jerseys arrive, will say hello if you wish, but does he know you as Gizmo? Coz I know you as nothing else!

borderduc
04.01.2006, 09:08 PM
Welcome to DUN, Pete !. Looking forward to the Dalesman's Dash run in July. Oh, and you'll not have as far to come for the Masher this year as it may start in Moffat or thereabouts

rockjock620
05.01.2006, 11:26 AM
Hello Michael, spoke to Guy and he kindly described you as a "webhead"! Don't know Phoenix at all, but heard all about the crash as the man recuperated. It was interesting to see him so useless, for about a month after he started pedalling again we had a chance to kick his arse, and did! Then he recovered fully....... the rest is history as the say. We did get quite a few phone calls whilst he was out of action, to go and ride test bikes, that was a bit of a laugh. The clubbies loved it. Yes, psychloSPORT is me, if you're passing call in for coffee. See you in Glentress, if you can make it a Sunday that's better for me, but hey ho..... will get off to Google Earth now.