PDA

View Full Version : Electrician in Falkirk/Bathgate

RobbieT
10.12.2011, 06:13 PM
Anyone recommend a decent Electrician/Lighting technician in the Falkirk or Bathgate area?

Switched the garage lights on the other day (2x strip lights) and there as a fizzing sound, then a pop, then a bang, then all the lights went out and it tripped the fuses.

Bought new bulbs and starter units but still not working (and the switch still made fizzing noise when I switched it on). Staying well clear for now.......

Mafioso
10.12.2011, 06:24 PM
Robbie, have you checked that you haven't got a leak in your roof,and the water isnt leaking in to the lights? (this has happened to me before), making the exact same noise, if its not that, then it sounds like it could be a loose cable touching something, somewhere.

RobbieT
10.12.2011, 07:25 PM
Robbie, have you checked that you haven't got a leak in your roof,and the water isnt leaking in to the lights? (this has happened to me before), making the exact same noise, if its not that, then it sounds like it could be a loose cable touching something, somewhere.

I did a few years ago, got the whole roof replaced but they kept the light fittings (and presumambly the bulbs & starters)......

so the first thing I checked was for water damage and it looks ok....but then again i might have missed something...

Mafioso
10.12.2011, 08:09 PM
My other guess would be a loose wire, either at the switch or at the lights

RobbieT
10.12.2011, 08:12 PM
My other guess would be a loose wire, either at the switch or at the lights
Thanks mate...will check it out...

jimmyrosko
10.12.2011, 10:25 PM
Robbie,

I agree with Andy, If the switch is making a fuzzy sound its either a loose wire or the switch is goosed. The rest of the noises from the lights is just them trying to fire up but cant due to malfunction at the switch. Get down to B&Q in the morning and get a new switch and change it yersel mate and save yersel lots of dosh :)

RobbieT
10.12.2011, 10:35 PM
Robbie,

I agree with Andy, If the switch is making a fuzzy sound its either a loose wire or the switch is goosed. The rest of the noises from the lights is just them trying to fire up but cant due to malfunction at the switch. Get down to B&Q in the morning and get a new switch and change it yersel mate and save yersel lots of dosh :)

Thanks Guys...B&Q here I come....

jimmyrosko
11.12.2011, 01:47 AM
Thanks Guys...B&Q here I come....

Check its not a loose wire at the switch first :)

Scott 888
11.12.2011, 10:36 AM
Robbie

Iam not so sure its more than likely you have a fault, the fizzing sound at the switch is due to an overload why else would it trip the breaker, if it was an loose wire it would just arc away and if your switch is plastic its unlikely to have gone to earth unless the cable is damaged then tripped the breaker.
In any event I would replace the switch, but its more than likely one of the light fittings are at fault.

Just ma thoughts Robbie

Scott

RobbieT
11.12.2011, 06:10 PM
Quick update, took the switch front and had a look for loose wires & water inside the socket.

Couldnt see any, but one of the screws is rusty so might be some previous water damage.
However, the wiring just doesnt look right...don't know what makes me think that, just a hunch, but my knowledge of electrical wirings systems is practically zero.
Funny thing is though after I had put it back on (and put the fuse back on), I flipped the switch just to check. The buzzing/fizzing sound has stopped. But still no lights.
Starting to think it might be the fittings, as mentioned????
Might just get someone out to have a look, saves me fumbling around in the dark (literally).....

RobbieT
14.12.2011, 10:08 PM
Ok so had someone out who knew what they were looking for to have ...erm...a look.

The good news is...no loose wires.

The bad news?

The whole system is totally fooked...worst DIY job he has ever seen.

in summary....

-plug sockets and light switches wired to the same fuse point.
-wrong size fuse used.
-wiring/cable size insufficient and mis-matched.
-cables severely twisted and stressed.
-signs of old water damage in switches and fuse point.
-signs of old water damage in both light strips.
-one light strip well past its operational lifespan, to the point where you can no longer buy the bulbs to fit it.
:eek:

feck feck feck...
:mad::mad:

Cateran
15.12.2011, 10:29 AM
On the bright side (:o) garage still standing and you're not a wee crispy crunchy bit o carbon.

RobbieT
15.12.2011, 04:54 PM
On the bright side (:o) garage still standing

Yep...I call it the "trigger" garage.

Since I moved in it's had a new roof, new door, looks like it needs new lights and am just wondering when it will need new walls.
But still a good, sound, reliable garage.....