PDA

View Full Version : bad day at the office........

gordj65
07.02.2012, 07:52 PM
customer came in last week , looked at an exhaust for his scooter. High quality one 229 asked me what price i could do it at.So with it being kinda quiet, start off the year and all that stuff i says tell you what, I will do 50 off it, a pretty fair deal. customer says he will think about it and off he goes. Today he comes in with the fitting kit for an exhaust, which he cant get to fit properly, is there something wrong with it can i tell. I dont know what sort off exhaust is it for, he allegedly doesnt know, so while im explaining that its hard to tell, the instructions fall out his pocket, and lo and behold its for the exact same exhaust as i'd offered him 50 off. Turns out customer has gone on internet and found it cheaper. Now he has a problem does he go back to his internet much cheapness person, does he Fu ck, he goes to his local friendly dealer and asks him how to solve his problem. Now being a good dealer instead of telling him to do one, we actually go out of our way to explain whats missing and solve the problem, because thats what you do when you believe in customer service.
Different customer a few months ago bought a scooter of ebay rather than buy a new one from us as we were too expensive, after a couple of days it breaks down so we collect it for him. look at it and suggest he puts it right back on ebay and if he even gets half of what hes paid he's doing very well. We point out that its a dog and will need lots of repairs. we can do enough to get it running but it was so bad that it wasnt worth keeping. but he insists that we fix it and gives it to his son. it breaks down another couple of times we collect it FOC do repair work at his request each time and advise him not to spend anymore on it and to get rid off it each time, but were not listened to. Eventually it stops and it needs a total engine rebuild and could really do with a wiring loom and probably an ecu. Today he phones obviously after brooding about it and gives me a very hard time about how much weve charged him for repairs and how its not working and how bad we were.
Later on a man comes in with three tyres he hasnt bought from us and three rims he also hasnt bought from us (scooter tyres and rims), how much he asks, 30 for all three, "are you fu cking joking 30 your fecking rip off merchants thats 12.50 each". now obviously his sums are crap, but this whole attitude that im ripping somebody off for charging a tenner to fit a tyre to a rim that you havent bought from me is a bit excessive, but business is tight and rather than turn it away I do them for him and dont bother with the insults. do you think he shouts at the cashier in tescos when she charges him.
So I had a bad day at the office today and im sure your sitting there thinking there are two sides to a story and there are . But in my job im not the arsehole thats on here, im a conscientious proffesional when im at work and i really believe in doing the best for customers when ever possible. but im beginning to wonder how long before loose all faith in mankind

miloVanMultistrada
07.02.2012, 08:00 PM
You're too nice Gordon (sounds ridiculous I know ;)). I know what any car or bike dealers would tell me if I brought them an exhaust I'd bought myself and asked for fitting advice... "the hourly rate for the workshop starts at x.xx, would you like to make an appointment" and rightly so.

Andrew H
07.02.2012, 08:03 PM
Miles is right - these were never your customers to start with and judging by their behaviours probably never will be.

Think about some of your loyal customers and get your happy face back on

Scotty
07.02.2012, 08:07 PM
umm tight financial times eh everyone is a customer etc , could be worse , no one died etc

umm probably shouldn't talk about it so ill just say riddor for my employer today = bad shit

GSpot
07.02.2012, 08:22 PM
Interesting reading gord, if it makes u feel better if I ever have a requirement for a scooter or hear of anyone I would 100% send them ur way.

239desmo
07.02.2012, 09:07 PM
Gord I can completely understand your desire to help folk out. I do the same thing.....I go the extra mile and customers DO appreciate it.
It says a lot about you that you do this but there is one big flaw in the scenario that is causing you the grief.
That flaw is these people are NOT customers. What is more to the point they NEVER WILL be customers.
Because they walk through your door doesn't make them a customer because they will use you to save themselves a few bob but even if you did the work for free they still won't buy from you.
I know from running my own business dealing with the public exactly what you have here and the same folk that you describe will try and do the same to me and every other business in their town but still never buy.
My advice, for wot its worth, is suss them out quickly ( bet you had sussed them within 10 seconds) and politely explain that you don't fit parts you haven't supplied (tell them there are insurance issues or some [email protected]) or in the case of the non-running bike you know the repair won't last and you are not prepared to lose your reputation on this pile of scrap etc.
They won't come back but that is fine as that means you can spend time on people who will appreciate your time and effort. They are the people who are or will be your customers.
You could be really nasty of course and do what a jeweller I know does.
Folk come in and ask him to size their finger as they are buying a ring off the internet.
He measures their finger and says "that is a size"N" " when in fact they are a "M" etc.
Off they go with a smile and a skip in their step and he just grins politely at them!

gordj65
07.02.2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks all who answered, you've gave me a different way to look at things here and i will .

gordj65
07.02.2012, 09:15 PM
Interesting reading gord, if it makes u feel better if I ever have a requirement for a scooter or hear of anyone I would 100% send them ur way.

thats only cause you dont know any other scooter dealers lol

PhilLew
07.02.2012, 09:18 PM
in my job im not the arsehole thats on here, im a conscientious proffesional when im at work and i really believe in doing the best for customers when ever possible. but im beginning to wonder how long before loose all faith in mankind

I can vouch for that! :)

My son used to have a scooter and I bought a few bits and bobs from you over the years, including a full bike for parts at one point.

You were always 'conscientious and proffesional' not to mention knowledgable and helpful.

Good customers DO appriciate good service,

Don't let the b'stards get you down!

239desmo
07.02.2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks all who answered, you've gave me a different way to look at things here and i will .

Last week a client out of the blue told me how much they appreciated all our help and what a pleasure it was to do business with us etc.
That will sustain me through a month of the kind of grief you have had today.
Take the positive comments you get to see you through. ;)

BruceCampbell
07.02.2012, 10:23 PM
Chin up Gordon!!! Dont let it all get you down, which is rich coming from me the original purveyor of doom!!!:D

miloVanMultistrada
08.02.2012, 06:37 AM
Chin up Gordon!!! Dont let it all get you down, which is rich coming from me the original purveyor of doom!!!:D

Go on, admit it, Bruce... it was you with the exhaust, wasn't it?! :lol2:

Pict
08.02.2012, 07:42 AM
riddor for my employer today

Bad news there Scotty. Won't ask for details but hoping IP can make a full recovery.

slipperyweeguy
08.02.2012, 09:12 AM
...i really believe in doing the best for customers when ever possible. but im beginning to wonder how long before loose all faith in mankind

Been there, done that, lost faith.
13 years of the motorcycling public was enough.
Today is dog walking, followed by cutting stencils for two Monster tanks. With a bit of luck the dog won't complain.

mbg
08.02.2012, 11:34 AM
As Miles said, you really are too nice. :hug:

sam
08.02.2012, 12:05 PM
Had one on the phone this morning, relayed who he was then went into great detail about what he wanted done to his quad the chassis will be stripped etc and finishes with I will bring it along on Saturday can I have it back for Monday?
I says no you came here last year 7am Saturday morning got me out of bed stating my chassis is broken I am going racing this afternoon cant find anyone to weld chrome moly can you? aye son donned my ovies and welded his chassis, 2hrs later how much for that? 20 (seeing it was for sport and not profit) I will pop it into you later never saw him again. So told him to feck off ! has just appeared with an envelope and 30 in it . That will get me two kegs o IPA, still sent him on his way to find someone else.

Lazarus
08.02.2012, 01:52 PM
...Today is dog walking, followed by cutting stencils for two Monster tanks. With a bit of luck the dog won't complain.

Do the dogs have to cut a lot of stencils then?

-LaZ-

gordj65
08.02.2012, 07:16 PM
thanks to all who replied, much appreciated

Derek
08.02.2012, 07:19 PM
I hope today was a better one Gordon.

rockjock620
09.02.2012, 10:14 AM
Gord, you're just a miserable old cnut! Put your happy face and greet all your customers with a smile and some pleasant words. Like I do.

NOT.

I know exactly where you're coming from, I get the same issues. However - just treat them as "cash cows" and the problem is solved. Bite your tongue, take the money and run. well, not quite but you know where I'm coming from. Just take their money and bank it. Try and extract cash from them and don't issue a receipt. It's not hard to smile, even if you don't actually want to. :) Or mean it.

I have a dummy camera behind the counter and if there is some element of "discussion" ensuing I point it out and mention we can always play the tape back. So far none of the chancers has taken me up on it.

the good guys will always come in and the others - well, they pay anyway.

gordj65
09.02.2012, 08:33 PM
Gord, you're just a miserable old cnut! Put your happy face and greet all your customers with a smile and some pleasant words. Like I do.

NOT.

I know exactly where you're coming from, I get the same issues. However - just treat them as "cash cows" and the problem is solved. Bite your tongue, take the money and run. well, not quite but you know where I'm coming from. Just take their money and bank it. Try and extract cash from them and don't issue a receipt. It's not hard to smile, even if you don't actually want to. :) Or mean it.

I have a dummy camera behind the counter and if there is some element of "discussion" ensuing I point it out and mention we can always play the tape back. So far none of the chancers has taken me up on it.

the good guys will always come in and the others - well, they pay anyway.

that last line, oh so true

Spud Raver
10.02.2012, 05:27 PM
Hey Gordon, when you going to come, pick up my bike, MOT it, bring it back all super polished, with a smile and I can tell you to heres your 40 and not speak to you for the rest of the year? ;)

gordj65
10.02.2012, 07:13 PM
Hey Gordon, when you going to come, pick up my bike, MOT it, bring it back all super polished, with a smile and I can tell you to heres your 40 and not speak to you for the rest of the year? ;)

do that quite happily for you sir.................see what i mean about pain in the arse customers lol

RobbieT
10.02.2012, 07:32 PM
Office Space (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/)

Brill movie.