PDA

View Full Version : A682

MartinH
01.01.2006, 10:43 PM
Barrowford to Hartside (100 miles)

Barrowford is ofF Jct 13 M65. Take the road signed for Kendal (A682) take it easy up through the 30mph bit through Blacko as there are often speed traps here. Just as you come out of the 30 limit there is a tight right and the road opens up, its only about 5 miles to Gisburn but its a classic, beware though as this short section always features in the annual most dangerous roads in britain! It has claimed a lot of people both motorcyclists and drivers so take care. At T junction at Gisburn turn right and then left at the mini roundabout (still on the A682) this section is good but again claimed a lot of people. You drop down into a dip with a righthander and then its a fast uphill climb with some sweeping bends. about a mile and a half out of Gisburn you have 2 options which I will explain. You can either carry straight on to Long preston and then Settle. Sometimes it can be a little busy on here and they have applied a lot of double white lines now which means you DO get stuck in traffic.

The other option is to take the little left hand turning to Paythorne, its starts of a bit narrow but does end up pretty good. Follow the road to a T junction turn right and right again at the next T junction (Wigglesworth). After about 500 metres turn left just after the (plough?) pub on your left. Carry straight on through Rathmell (30 mph through village) then after the 30 limit the road drops away and opens up and is pretty fast. Its better through here in the none summer months as you can see through the bends better when theres less green stuff on the trees. As I said you can go pretty quick here and the sensation of speed is increased by the 'tunnel' effect of the dry stone walls etc. Eventually you come to a T junction (A65) turn left then immediate right and then right at the mini roundabout into Settle turn left at the T junction and after 100 metres you will see the market square and usually many bikes parked up. If you dont feel like stopping carry on a few hundred metres then take the right turning for Stainforth (B6480) keep an eye on the speedo through the 40 limit as in summer there is usually a speed trap. After the limit you can get going a bit all the way to Horton in Ribblesdale. Again take it easy through the village (you are on the B6479 now by the way) You are heading for the Ribblehead Viaduct now, as you leave the limit in Horton you pass under a railway bridge (Settle - Carlisle) this bridge is the signal to go NUTS! You will have seen this section in just about any of the performance car / bike mags as they are always using it. Its a pretty grippy road with a bit of all sorts to entertain you, A couple of things to watch out for are the first long straight if you are following someone closely that knows the road there is a hump that will get you airborne at over 80 mph, not a problem? Well you can get over 130 mph there and at that speed you get very airborne indeed! I remember my first time sat behind my mate who knew the road. Also there is a crest with a farm track just beyond it is well signed so do slow down. Eventually to arrive at Ribblehead Viaduct. If you turn left here it takes you to Ingleton which is just down the A65 from Devils Bridge. However we are turning right to Hawes. This is the B6255 and if you dont like it sell your bike now!! Some very very fast sections and some fiddly bits as well. I never ever tire of this road, if you know it well its incredible. Again it seems like every issue of EVO magazine etc has supercars being thrashed up and down here. I wont try and explain it to you as it would take forever. As you drop into Hawes turn right at the T junction and the Penny Garth cafe is 200 metres on your left. Cafe very friendly run by Celine (French) and her German husband (Kristian) Also a Spanish girl serving. Usually there is a bloke there whos the spit of the actor Donald Pleasance and he WILL talk to you! Have a drink etc then set off on the A684 toward Sedburgh (West) Again the road opens up and can be very fast if you are brave/daft enough. Before you get to Garsdale the road drops downhill and there is a small pub on your right where your turn right onto the b6259 towards Kirkby Stephen. Some good fast bits here but also some bumpier sections with jumps etc. At K Stephen turn right at the lights and carry straight on to Brough (A685) as you get to the T junction at Brough turn right go up the hill and take the left turn (B6276) to Middleton in Teesdale. Theres a few mile here that more suitable for Multistradas etc but theres also good fun to have on Sportsbikes too. At Middleton In T you come to a T junction where you turn left heading to Alston (B6277) Its nothing special for a mile or 2 but then it gets very interesting with a bit of everything, some very fast sections and also technical twisty bits. I love this road! You arrive in Alston and after the cobbled bit you are at a T junction where you go left to Hartside or right towards Hexham etc. We are going left, again its a belter of a road all the way up to the cafe at Hartside. Most of this route is much better either during the week or later in the day at weekend in the summer months. Over the last few years I find myself at Hartside quite late in the day at weekends and I head home this way and its unbelievable. Find myself counting the cars I have passed from hartside to Devils bridge (about 60 miles) and one day last year there was only 4 that I came across and I wasnt hanging about.

Anyone needing a guide for this route just contact me as I dont need much of an excuse to get up there!

Gizmo
01.01.2006, 11:07 PM
French Girls??? I must have missed them when I rode that one :D :D :D

MartinH
02.01.2006, 12:22 AM
Spanish girls too! An German boys for anyone that way inclined! Lederhosen etc.

m55russ
02.01.2006, 09:59 AM
I can vote for that road up to Hawes it's a belter, just watch out for the sheep!! Makes me laugh though the ammount of bikes which use the road, the sheep don't even flinch.......even on a Duke.

rockjock620
09.01.2006, 07:54 PM
sheep, sheep? Them's Yorkshire tups, tha noz - well 'ard, ecky thump!

dseered
09.01.2006, 08:08 PM
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/7371/sheeponroad6pd.jpg

Gizmo
09.01.2006, 08:24 PM
- well 'ard, ecky thump!

yup well hard when you hit them and ecky thump is the sound of your bike hitting the ground :)

when i lived at our last house I just got so used to them I never backed, mad as they'd sleep in the middle of the road under the M6 bridges.

dseered
09.01.2006, 09:07 PM
Well the Lamb Bank started on Radio Cumbria today so I guess they are popping out early this year, last years link though I think !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/lambbank/lambbank_2005.shtml

Spud Raver
09.01.2006, 09:13 PM
Well the Lamb Bank started on Radio Cumbria today so I guess they are popping out early this year, last years link though I think !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/lambbank/lambbank_2005.shtml

Mmmmmmmmm.......tasty with mint sauce ;)

dseered
09.01.2006, 10:10 PM
Or grilled with Jalapeno Jelly as I did last night, very special !

Spud Raver
09.01.2006, 10:14 PM
Or grilled with Jalapeno Jelly as I did last night, very special !

Where do you get that stuff or is it home made.....I love the sound of that

dseered
09.01.2006, 10:16 PM
Where do you get that stuff or is it home made.....I love the sound of that

Mother got me for xmas, I will look if there is a wbsite 2moro, oh yes, it is special, very special, especially when grilled on meat, bubbles and caramellises, amazing stuff !

Spud Raver
09.01.2006, 10:21 PM
I love me Jalepenos......just love em