PDA

View Full Version : Dalesman's Dash, July

rockjock620
16.06.2006, 09:20 PM
Time to look forward to the next mass gathering of the clan!

Sunday 23rd to be exact. Route to start in Penrith, if the likes of Gizmo, Posiden and the Jocks are getting involved at 0900, Hawes for breakfast at Penny Garth Cafe 0930. Then a jaunt acroos to the East Coast for lunch, Squire's for a milk shake mid afternoon, then up via Richmond and Barnard Castle to Hartside Cafe for supper then home via wherever you want to really.

I will meet up at Hawes, do the ride around and return finally over Shap to Devil's and home. Who's game then? Sign up here or on the calendar.

Some of the best roads and sights in Yorkshire - see current issue of "Bike" for a little taster. You will NOT be disappointed!

foxy
16.06.2006, 10:21 PM
Hi
I'm up for this as I am still @@@@@d off at missing the RTL. Anyone else from up here fancy heading down or meeting up en-route??

dseered
17.06.2006, 05:21 PM
I think I will be up for it Pete, would be nice to get Stevie transported to somewhere aswell if he is out of hospital, Fish and Chips on the coast maybe ?

rockjock620
17.06.2006, 08:06 PM
I think I will be up for it Pete, would be nice to get Stevie transported to somewhere aswell if he is out of hospital, Fish and Chips on the coast maybe ?

thinking of Whitby or Staithes or Sandsend or something......for lunch, yes it would be great to get him airlifted out there - don't tell him, it could be a great surprise. But we are going to Squire's too, so there could be good also.

Paul748
17.06.2006, 09:01 PM
Was up there today, Kettlewell, Kilsney, Grassington, Hawes.

By the way the road from Hawes to Sedberg is closed, 25 miles detour.

rockjock620
17.06.2006, 09:05 PM
yes it's roadworks I believe - due to end 25th this month. That road was well knackered anyway.......you coming on the Dash then?

Paul748
17.06.2006, 09:17 PM
23rd I am out of the country, somewhere, but not booked it yet, but the wife will soon sort that though.

rockjock620
17.06.2006, 09:40 PM
you could always forget your passport........it's been done before. Brother-in-law did it when he couldn't be arsed to spend a week with the kids:D :D :D

vic
18.06.2006, 04:40 PM
count me in pete!!!!!:thumbs:
not sure where i'll join in but i'll be there

rockjock620
18.06.2006, 06:24 PM
good man, will post times etc. nearer the day!

Jasper
18.06.2006, 06:57 PM
I'll try and make it.Work permitting

rockjock620
18.06.2006, 07:25 PM
the more the merrier!

Biscuit
18.06.2006, 07:42 PM
i'll be along. sandsend makes for great photo op's if the tides in, like in my avatar

and fish n chips whitby, MMMmmmmmmmmmm :thumbs:

Gizmo
19.06.2006, 06:57 PM
Sorry folks I won't make it, just got an invite for the final stage of Tour De France, VIP ticket, grandstand on Champs Elysee seat , i've wanted to do this since i started in bike industry and finally get to, I just need a rideout in the mavic car to make my weekend :)

rockjock620
19.06.2006, 10:42 PM
you jammy @@@@@@@ - hope it rains and the frogs @@@@ in your wine!

Rigormootman
01.07.2006, 07:57 PM
Hi Rockjock I,m a new member to this club could you count me in for the ride out.Can you let me know where to meet in Penrith.I will be coming from Consett CO.Durham via Weardale and Hartside if anyone wants to hook up with me earlier.Thanks Steve.([email protected])

dseered
02.07.2006, 09:14 AM
It is now looking unlikely that I will coming on this one, with Croft the next day and full track bodywork on its way I will try and get some pics though of your decent / accent of the A6 !

rockjock620
02.07.2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Rockjock I,m a new member to this club could you count me in for the ride out.Can you let me know where to meet in Penrith.I will be coming from Consett CO.Durham via Weardale and Hartside if anyone wants to hook up with me earlier.Thanks Steve.([email protected])

Hi Steve, Penrith is Gizmo's patch and although he isn't coming I'll ask him for a good meet point for you. Some of the Scots are coming down so you can all meet at the same place. I was going to meet up with you lot at Penny Garth Cafe, Hawes, it'll save me a bit of time :D .

I am going all the way round anyway, we'll finish at Hartside and say goodbye there. Or you could head back from Barnard Castle/Scotch Corner way. I'll complete the loop back from Penrith as my leg home. See you on the day. Anymore takers?

rockjock620
13.07.2006, 11:14 PM
Just tonight finalised details of the route - 300/350 miles. Will post more tomorrow, Friday. Start will be at Penrith, Red Rooster, come off at Junction 40 M6, first exit if coming from North, third exit if coming from South. Head past North Lakes Hotel, it's straight across mini roundabout. For 0900. Then Shap (A6) and over to Hawes. Watch this space.

richc
14.07.2006, 09:28 PM
Sounds good! Count me in! Although I've got a feeling I had something else organised that day, oh well.
Rich

rockjock620
15.07.2006, 07:10 AM
Excellent - please cut and paste to this list if you are coming:

RichC
Foxy?
Jasper?
Rigormootman?
Vic?
Biscuitandpotato?

rockjock620
15.07.2006, 09:34 AM
OK some finer details then. The ride will be split into five legs. Start will be breakfast at Hawes, Penny Garth Café, 1000. The Northern contingent may have already eaten at Penrith so they will have to either eat again or watch us troughing! A very short first leg there then. GROUP UP AT THE CAFÉ.

Leg Two will see us all the way over to Helmsley, a fine stop off for many bikers. We will reach here by the A684 and a short hop onto the A19 before leaving on the A172 to Stokesley. That will see us on the run down to Helmsley B1257, the Yorks TT course. This is a beautiful road but very busy, full of bikes and lots of tourists. Poor record for bike crashes (throttle jockeys from Leeds, Bradford et al. Let’s not add to the totals) Police on it frequently. In Helmsley we may not be able to park as a group but meet at the Cross in the market square – buy a parking ticket please, they are VERY keen! There are loos here, snacks, etc, we can fuel here too, but better if we do that at Kirkby Moorside A170 about six miles further, Jet Station on the left. Whatever, this Jet fuel station is the REGROUP POINT for the start of Leg Three.

Leg Three runs over the Moors via Blakey Rigg and Castleton then the A171, B1266 and A174 – fantastic photo opportunities all the way. Mind the sheep! I have had to cut out the notion of lunch by the East Coast as it does not tie in nicely with a fuel stop and the Coast will be heaving with tourists. Dropping into Sandsend REGROUP POINT SEAFRONT, we will run by the sea for a while then turn inland after Whitby to head over Fylingdales Moor. More photos, ice cream stop at the Hole of Horcum on the A169. Lunch stop will be at the end of Leg Three, Thornton le Dale in the heart of the Moors. We can dicuss the “options” here. REGROUP IN VILLAGE CENTRE.

Leg Four, two variations. We can have a quick run back toward Ripon, then North to Leyburn. The “option” is to head over the Yorkshire Wolds via Staxton, Sledmere House, Fridaythorpe (another biker’s café), possibly Squire’s for milk shakes then up the A1 to Ripon, then as above. It will depend upon time, energy, etc. REGROUP TEXACO LITLE CHEF SERVICES RAINTON JUST BEFORE A1/A61 TURN OFF, OR SLEDMERE HOUSE IF LONG OPTION IS TAKEN

Leg Five is from Leyburn essentially right up to Hartside café to finish. Leyburn A6108 to Richmond, Scotch Corner, Barnard Castle, Middleton, Newbiggin, north to A689, Alston then Hartside.

About 300/350 miles, some of the best roads in Yorkshire and the North Pennines. Some great places to see and visit. You WILL enjoy it.

Call me on 07711 391320 for any more info. Print this out to take with you, but I will have itineraries to hand out on the day.

PETE.

vic
15.07.2006, 01:33 PM
yep i'll be coming pete !!!!!!:thumbs:

Biscuit
15.07.2006, 01:38 PM
not at this rate :comp1:

richc
15.07.2006, 05:14 PM
Looking good. Anyone from the Leeds area want to meet for the run to Hawes?
Rockjock: You going to meet at your usual Harrogate stop before going up there?

Rich

Biscuit
15.07.2006, 05:30 PM
i will see how things pan out, the Duke 'may' be back out, if not, and unless there are any protests, i might come by Yamapower... :thumbs:

rockjock620
15.07.2006, 10:19 PM
Looking good. Anyone from the Leeds area want to meet for the run to Hawes?
Rockjock: You going to meet at your usual Harrogate stop before going up there?

Rich

No, I intend to go up early doors (or poss overnight) to Penrith and meet the Jocks (if they are coming!!!!) and ride with them down to Hawes and meet you lot there. If you want to co-ordinate the Yorkies contingent up to Hawes that would be great. Let's see how it pans out, but if they aren't coming then yes, usual place. Timing I will let you know.

steve999
15.07.2006, 10:45 PM
wow i am impressed that is some miles for one day and by the looks of it all on proper a and b roads unfortunately i know that is too many miles for me my knackered old knees would not take the abuse;)

kdblamire
15.07.2006, 11:47 PM
Pete, we are signed up here http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=40&day=2006-7-23&c=1
so won't sign up again, we don't want to do the run twice ;)

rockjock620
16.07.2006, 12:43 PM
Steve, come for part of the day........KD good news, I was really checking that you three were still OK.

rockjock620
16.07.2006, 12:45 PM
So far.......

RichC
Foxy
Borderduc
KDBlamire
DavieRavie
Vic

rockjock620
16.07.2006, 05:43 PM
wow i am impressed that is some miles for one day and by the looks of it all on proper a and b roads unfortunately i know that is too many miles for me my knackered old knees would not take the abuse;)

just think about the Scots boys - they are doing even more..........

richc
17.07.2006, 09:34 PM
Sorrry to say, but I've got to miss this one out. I knew I had something else going on.
Sorry chaps, have good one.
Rich

borderduc
18.07.2006, 07:41 PM
No, I intend to go up early doors (or poss overnight) to Penrith and meet the Jocks (if they are coming!!!!) and ride with them down to Hawes and meet you lot there. If you want to co-ordinate the Yorkies contingent up to Hawes that would be great. Let's see how it pans out, but if they aren't coming then yes, usual place. Timing I will let you know.

Pete,

What time should Clan MacDesmo gather at Penrith on Sunday morning ?. Sounds like 9 perhaps but if you let me know I will co-ordinate with them and plan to get us all there accordingly.

Looking forward to it.

PS you will guarantee us safe passage..and provide a full translation service for us ?

Biscuit
20.07.2006, 03:26 PM
Me 996 'just' might make an appearence yet, thanks to my local Kawasaki dealer! hopefully getting righted on Sat AM...:cool:

rockjock620
20.07.2006, 06:40 PM
yep I'm reckoning on 0900 at Red Rooster off Junc 40m M6, first exit for you! I am coming up to meet you all being well. MartinH is ordering breakfasts at Penny Garth Cafe, Hawes for 10. Isn't he nice?

rockjock620
20.07.2006, 06:41 PM
Me 996 'just' might make an appearence yet, thanks to my local Kawasaki dealer! hopefully getting righted on Sat AM...:cool:

you could always borrow the Monster!

20.07.2006, 11:05 PM
Sorry, never said I could make it...can't this weekend, other commitments.

rockjock620
21.07.2006, 05:52 PM
Borderduc
KDBlamire
Vic

is it worth it?

steve999
21.07.2006, 09:14 PM
of course its worth it, you ride for the ride not for the amount of people there are p.s. pauline is quite poorly at the moment so might not get out at all so sod the amount of people go out and enjoy it

kdblamire
21.07.2006, 09:40 PM
Behave yersell Pete,see ya 0.900hrs Sunday, go get ready to rumble.:thumbs:

rockjock620
22.07.2006, 08:02 AM
yes OK was just feeling a little down yesterday - will be there bright and breezy - numbers don't matter, as Steve says.

Biscuit
22.07.2006, 08:11 AM
you could always borrow the Monster!

Blimey Pete, Cheers for that offer! off to Padgets Autorama to fix the 996 this AM, they got all the bits yesterday - got a 1 mile ride with 4 clutch springs to get it there :eek:. they told me tho if its a problem, just drive down and theyll lend me their van to get it with. looks like my pressure plate is salvage-able too! hopefully will be present and correct come Sunday, Motogp not on till 10.30pm either :)

rockjock620
22.07.2006, 08:15 AM
Blimey Pete, Cheers for that offer! off to Padgets Autorama to fix the 996 this AM, they got all the bits yesterday - got a 1 mile ride with 4 clutch springs to get it there :eek:. they told me tho if its a problem, just drive down and theyll lend me their van to get it with. looks like my pressure plate is salvage-able too! hopefully will be present and correct come Sunday, Motogp not on till 10.30pm either :)
Make it very few and short shifts then! Well if it's ready to rock then I'm leaving here at 0710 to get to Penrith - come if you want, or meet at Penny Garth Cafe Hawes 0930-1000. twill be good to see you out.

Steve748
22.07.2006, 08:22 AM
your right about the Moto GP, there is BSB from oulton park on at 1500 on ITV1

foxy
22.07.2006, 12:12 PM
Sorry guys def can't come down tomorrow now :(
have a good one

Biscuit
22.07.2006, 12:48 PM

had to borrow the van, couldnt engage gear withuot stalling. fitted new drum and acouple of new springs with the assistance of Autorama's mechanic, Cheers, all works well 'cept i canna stop! back brake doesn't work at all now (noticed lever was bent after dropping it) and the half front brake lever is just to short to inspire confidence. and now its @@@@ing down and i aint gotta garage to tinker in so tomorrow dunt look too good for me

borderduc
22.07.2006, 11:13 PM
See you Dalesmen tomorrow.

Rigormootman
23.07.2006, 06:24 PM
RE dalesman dash hope the rest of the ride went OK.It was nice to put faces to names,just a shame I had to leave early for work, still I enjoyed the bit that I did.Hope to see you all again soon.Thanks Steve.

rockjock620
23.07.2006, 11:01 PM
Yes pity you had to leave, good to meet up. Thereafter we had adventure, a little tumble for KD, running a little late all day, played catch up on time, lunched in Sandsend, didn't paddle in the sea, :( called in to see Steve748, :) yes all of us :D lost KD within yards of leaving Steve's place :( I lost all coolant and only got two miles out of it before DB noticed "something wet" dripping off my bike, had to bimble home - the system was completely empty :mad: Re-filled and all seems well, but denied another couple hundred miles of riding.......:( We do have interesting times on DuN! Scenery was great and company was excellent, as ever. Midgie Masher next, anyone? :D

Geoff
24.07.2006, 12:07 AM
Rockjock,David and Duncan
That's Bruce and I just got back into wet Glasgow - left in the wet then a complete dry day down south and return to wet conditions.
Total distance 580miles. Can't feel my hands and my rear is rather tender- in fact I think my whole body aches. After seeing Bruces face I think he was suffering but never mind. As you say shame about Duncans small off.
Role on the midgy bash!

Geoff

weeian
24.07.2006, 12:18 AM
sounds like you had a great day guys, is Duncan ok ?

i wish i had come now :( was moving back into my flat today tho.

/ian

Geoff
24.07.2006, 12:32 AM
Ian,
He was a bit bruised but on the whole alright. I was amazed at the small amount of damage considering he pulled a stoppie rather than run into Rockjock and the bike flipped over and landed on his head I think. Dent in the tank from his head, smashed headlamp, mirror, rear grab rail and scuffing of the paintwork. On the whole not ban considering. I'm sure Ducan will post to fill us in with exactly what happened. When I arrived he had already picked teh bike up. I think it he was trying to copy Sete in the motogp.

Geoff

rockjock620
24.07.2006, 09:37 AM
word of warning - don't run with your visor even partly open. Mine has a "city" riding position, barely open, but still big enough for some bugs to get in. It went straight into my eye, I slowed, moved over to the right of the road (I was on a left hander) to what looked like a small lay-by (in fact just a flatter section of verge) and stopped, almost blind. DB pulled up, KD did likewise in spectacular fashion. No real damage, except pride. Some very impressive mileage there Geoff, well done all the Jocks :) - shame about those closer to home........:(

berto
24.07.2006, 11:06 AM
Ahhhh The Curse Of Geoff Strikes Again!!!!!!!!!!

borderduc
24.07.2006, 11:12 AM
Made it home by 11.30 just in time for MotoGP. 490 miles in all, so a good long blast. Didn't manage to catch up with KDB and couldn't get a mobile signal so did the last leg solo after leaving geoff and Bruce. Swathes of flies, though, and had to stop and scrape a few handfuls off the visor.

Thanks to Rockjock for showing us some good sweepy roads and a change of scenery for us. Wish we had stopped for a paddle in the sea - maybe on next year's Dash....

24.07.2006, 01:01 PM
word of warning - don't run with your visor even partly open. Mine has a "city" riding position, barely open, but still big enough for some bugs to get in. It went straight into my eye, I slowed, moved over to the right of the road (I was on a left hander) to what looked like a small lay-by (in fact just a flatter section of verge) and stopped, almost blind. DB pulled up, KD did likewise in spectacular fashion. No real damage, except pride. Some very impressive mileage there Geoff, well done all the Jocks :) - shame about those closer to home........:(

As I said...other commitments (2 young kids and on school hols). Would love to have ridden. I was at Sandsend on the beach though and pointed out to the wife when a V twin went passed. She was very interested (not). Possibly you Pete since you had lunch there.
Need to call in for a pump, Pete. Tomorrow morning as I'm taking bike for it's MOT....2 months late!!!

borderduc
24.07.2006, 04:50 PM
En route yesterday we nipped in past Steve748 for a social call. Good to meet up with you again, Steve, and you seemed remarkably upbeat for someone who has been through what you've recently been through. It must be terribly frustrating to see us arriving and departing on bikes while you are stuck at home. Still, your cunning plan for an UpNorth social event should keep your mind occupied a bit while your recuperation continues.

Oh, and thanks for the coffee too.

gordj65
24.07.2006, 05:17 PM
En route yesterday we nipped in past Steve748 for a social call. Good to meet up with you again, Steve, and you seemed remarkably upbeat for someone who has been through what you've recently been through. It must be terribly frustrating to see us arriving and departing on bikes while you are stuck at home. Still, your cunning plan for an UpNorth social event should keep your mind occupied a bit while your recuperation continues.

Oh, and thanks for the coffee too.
you forced steve to make you coffe you cruel [email protected]@rds;)

Steve748
24.07.2006, 06:13 PM
you forced steve to make you coffe you cruel [email protected]@rds;)

I was well happy to make them coffee and yorkshire tea Gordon, and DB liked my idea we've been discussing too! I was well impressed with Bruce, it makes me realise how lucky I am. I was a bit envious when I saw the bikes and they started up, It just makes me more determined to get better in time for next year! It was good to see you and I am sorry for keeping you so long!:thumbs:

kdblamire
25.07.2006, 12:20 PM
The good the bad and the ugly of my day out in the dales,woke up Sunday morning 06:15 raring to go, took a light breakfast as I was anticipating a rather large nosh in Hawes at 10:00 left the house at 07:30 to meet up with Borderduc in Selkirk aprox 10 min journey for each of us, as usual our timing was perfect 07:45 we join forces and attack the 60 mile plus A7 to Carlisle .
The sun is shining the air is still and all the bugs and beasties are having a Sunday lie in so with clear vision,the wide fast sweeping immaculate surfaced traffic free (eat ya heart out all you city dwellers)A7 passes in an instant,we cruise on down the M6 to J42, as Geoff had post the previous evening he would meet with us at J46, but seeing as how the M6 has only 44 junctions we presumed he had probably been partaking of to much electric soup and was not quite the full shilling, so we guest J42 was what he meant,(wrong) waited 10 min had quick search of the services without any joy so we blasted on south for Hawes.
Approaching Penrith DB pulls along side making pointy gestures to his tank and me being a rather bright and wise old gentleman deduced he required some essence(that's french for petrol)so exit at J40 pulls into the fuel station low a behold sitting outside the Red Rooster cafe’(that's more french) are “The Lost Boys” AKA Geoff, Bruce,and Rigormootman. partaking of some rays, we formally introduce ourselves and now we are 5 so with DB fuelled up we gather in formation and once again , in a cacophony of Ducati exhaust note, proceed to invade North Lancashire and the Yorkshire Dales and after a fairly brisk but uneventful journey (apart from myself getting some very rude and abusive gestures from a bicyclist for some manoeuvre made by Rigormootman) we arrive at Hawse Penny Garth Café, to be met by a very happy smilie Rockjock and after the usual intros we promptly order and then devour a full english.(Davieravie you missed out on this one yumyumyum burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp).
Now that were fed and watered here we go for the main event,Pete (Rockjock) I can call him Pete now cos we’ve been introduce,leads us off I know not where but generally East and to the seaside for a paddle and more food (see what ya missed again Davieravie) leaving Hawes it’s a good interesting road but oh those bloody tourists,why don’t they stay at home and wash there cars, mow the lawn or get on with some D I Y? and leave the roads to us Ducatista who know what to do on them,(spleen vented )now on with tour next stop fuel(that’s english for essence)for the french amongst you,then dually arrive in Helmsley and I think this is where Rigormootman bids us a fond farewell and heads back home for an appointment with his employment,oh dear what a shame never mind at least he got a bit of a run in and @@@@ed off a bicyclist t’boot.
So onward and eastward to another oh so necessary “petrol” stop( i’ve given up on me linguisticall bent)but we have to muscle our way through a bloody great gang of a potentially dirty bikers,they were actually off roaders and they did allow us access to the pumps after we had pacified them with our good looking bikes as well as our own personal handsomeness and charm, after refuelling we made our excuses and bid them good-bye.
Still heading east into the sun our expectations mounting as we sense the coast ahead we weave our way through an unfamiliar amount of urban traffic soon arrive at the moors and duly attack them with gusto( he joined at the start of the moors)Pete leading DB followed by yours truly with Geoff and Bruce as tail gunners,onward and upwards, twisting turning, rising and dropping,lots of oriental gentlemen flashing past in both directions but we are oblivious to them, we are right in the groove five Ducs growling over the landscape then,oh,and then,it happened my bank balance flashed before me,it plummeted south,my overdraft went into afterburner mode,everything on the road ahead seamed to be retarding rather abruptly, in fact far to abruptly for my liking so into auto retardation mode, squeeze front brake hard, balance up with rear brake oh @@@@ back wheels rising,ease off front, every thing is still in line, back on front brake again looking good we have control,oh feck it’s dead stop ahead Pete’s stoped on the crown of the road trying to turn right on a sweeping left hand bend but can’t due to oncoming traffic David Burnie’s a bikes length behind him and to his left KDB‘S got some decision making to do,take out Pete, take out DB, take out my beloved ss in the left-hand ditch or go for something much more spectacular,snap decision let’s try some Purple helmet stunt and just stop,being just a teeny weeny bit of a exhibitionist I chose the latter, wow the ss brake are good, to bloody good, front end dives back wheel takes off skyward again but this time keeps heading that way I stay with it , got keep my composure,bike now vertical i’m still in my riding position still thinking about bank balance,headlamp and screen now making contact with mother earth, i’m staying in riding position( got to look good even if not feeling to good)now for my piece de resistance(i’m back with the linguistics again) I tuck my head in against the tank waiting for impact,think I better hit the kill switch don’t want the bike to go squirling down the road without me, it may do some damage,so I do that,then bang, impact, backpack hits tarmac, helmet hits tank, grab handle also smashes down on to the black stuff then silence, I jump from below my, what I think is my dearly beloved departed Duc and proceed to drag her up onto her rubber bits while at the same time a female occupant of one of the spectating vehicles enquires about my well-being to which I confirm in the positive whilst cautiously waggling each of my extremities making sure I wasn’t telling her porkies, later that evening I discovered I was.
Pete and DB then help remove the stricken beast to verge and after a general examination the consensus of opinion was you will continue to experience the thrill of riding the highways and byways of the UK and we will carry on with the mission,by this time Geoff and Bruce had caught up and wondered why my bike was pointing in the direction we had just come from,we gave them the full SP with lots of expletives just make it more interesting then after a bit of bodging and fiddling with cable ties and a full road test, then the mandatory photo call, we made off with haste towards Sandsend and the sea for more food and drinks.
Arrive at the seaside enter the car park and make the decision not to part with any hard earned for the privilege,considering it was a Sunday and also Pete was in the company of three tight wad jocks and a geordie and himself a Yorkshire man it was definitely no contest, I myself then proceeded to strip off for more than just a paddle in the sea, I had the forethought to wear my swimming attire under my leathers but it was agreed that for the sanity of the residents of Sansend and the day trippers, it would be best not to expose them to my naked flesh, and also a good nosh was favourite, so to the cafe’(more french) it was.
With our group satisfied in the sustenance department we remount and once again are booming along like a world war two fighter squadron emitting a similar amount of acoustics both thrilling and disturbing the promenaders along the sea front,as usual we are in search of more gas(that’s yankee for petrol) my command of foreign languages is even surprising me,we fill up just outside whitby then carry on west towards Harragate for an appiontment with Steve748 we are playing catchup with time but still facilitate another photo stop up on the moors,the David Bailie moment taken care of we are on the move again over a selection of Yorkshire’s finest,get buzzed along rout by a mad red baron on a panzer and with me now not having a right hand mirror was taken by surprise,I still say he came at us out of the sun, another few miles along the road he did us again, this time he must have been hiding in the clouds I was second in the formation at this time, and Pete still leader,resisted the temptation to take him on, after a painstaking last few miles behind a long train of weekend drivers we arrived at Steves with the afore mentioned standing in his doorway waiting to greet us in an impressive Meccano leg kit and a big grin, me thinks he must have heard us coming, once again the introductions and pleasantries are exchanged we partake of tea and coffee,thank you Steve your entertaning skills are a pleasure to behold and it was good to see you so bright eyed and bushy tailed after all you’ve been through, your an example to us all.
Now this next chapter is where I lost the plot a bit, well not a bit,quite a large amount really, suitably refreshed and toiletted we say our farewells to Steve and proceed to leave, only i’m still busy talking and not paying attention to where we are heading next, so ask Dave “where to next Dave” “not to sure either”he says” “ we just follow Rockjock” by now my bumps and bruises are starting to make themselves known to me so putting my gear on takes longer than usual,i’m rather slow anyway,it’s an age thing, I get the bike turned and drive up to the road end 100 Mtrs, like a good motorcyclist I look right the left then right again,bugger the road is void of Ducatis other than a solo KDB sitting at the junction thinking “av’e got a bit o trouble Betty” so me thinks wait, someone will come back for me when they realise i’ve gone A,W.O.L. 5 min pass seems like an age,no one shows, now that tumbleweed rolling down a deserted street feeling begins to take over,so I go into homing pigeon mode ,thinking they may have gone straight up the A1 so I sets off like a scalded cat as fast as my poor brand new,very second hand looking 800ss would take me blarting up the road those little voices in my head started talking to me in tongs which I can understand because i’m bilingual “what's she who must be obeyed going to say at the state of your pride and joy?” after all she does own a percentage of it,”what if it rains you don’t have a headlamp glass if it gets wet it’ll go pop and it may go dark before you get home then what will you do?” “if you go up the A68 will you get fuel?”and many other doubt provoking thoughts,then sanity returns,I remember I had mentioned to David that, when Geoff and Bruce set off for Glasgow up the A66 then M6 ,M74 we should go up the B6275 through Peicebridge and catch the A68 just south of West Aucklandso I make for Peicebridge, stop on the village green with the intention of phoning Rockjock as I didn’t have David's mobile No, but just as I arrive in the village my phone rings, a text from Dave they are heading for Leyburn then Richmond,measage timed at 18:30 the time now is 19:15 and i’m 30 miles further up the road, what to do?text back say where I am tell them I will wait for David here,Not sure if text has gone so try phoning,beep,beep,beep,beep, something not right , try Pete's No get through and he informs me he’s at home , gives me his tale of lost fluids and assures me the rest of them will find me,I decide to stay put but then that voice starts up again, ”will the BP garage at West Auckland still be open?” “Is your fuel light still functioning correctly after your off? you may have to make a detour to Hexham or Newcastle if you can’t get fuel at West Auckland” and again “what if it rains, darkness no lights etc. etc.?” you will have noticed by now my language skills have deserted me and thinking only in classic panic, so 21:00 comes round David still no show try phoning again still no joy so must go.
I manage fuel at West Auckland and go for a record braking run up the military road towards the CarterBar, at Rochester I catch up on a Northumbria Police patrol car which I casually draw up behind and proceed to follow him, he immediately indicates for me to pass him, KD, thinking it’s a trap gracefully decline,he then pulls into a lay-by and I have no choice but to continue on, he then like a good catholic immediately pulls out again then draws along side i’m thinking he’s going to pull this old git on this rat bike,but no, with a big grin on his face the shotgun rider gestures me to proceed more briskly, not quite sure what i’m seeing I pretend I don’t see him and continue at my leisurely 60 mph he gestured again with a thumbs up and an even bigger grin so not being one to disobey the law progressively turned on the power, he pulled back behind me and dropped back I thought a booking for excessive speed would just round the day off nicely so went for it, the last I saw of them was as a tiny yellow and white speck in my one and only left hand mirror as I topped the the CarterBar and the safety of Scotland,got a wee bit of gliff as I passed through Jedburgh when a local panda car came shanking up behind me only to continue on past taking the Kelso road ahead of me,must have been late for his supper or something,I myself arrived at my abode 22:00 safe and sound but bracing myself for a major ear bashing from her indoors, about the state of me and the bike but nurse Fiona Blamire being my carer for almost 40 years, new how to handle it and she was very calm about it all,just glad I was,although battered and bruised still in one piece and as for the bike all she said was “sh*t happens” my dear.:thumbs: (http://home.pacbell.net/diana_do/knowjack.htm:thumbs:)
thanks everyone for another memorable day out and roll on the Midgie Masher,the bike will be ready for it one way or another,all ready got bids in on Fleabay for some parts and ordered others on the web, only thing I need from Martin at Ducati-Glasgow is the grab handle/seat lock casting,funding the repair myself to keep my N.C D. and avoid my excess,and intend having a falling out with a sheep next year when I will have Protected N.C.D.
I spent the whole of Monday locked in my home workshop incommunicado(that’s another foreign word)stripping the bike down to see what was required to get her looking better for more Midgie Masher preparation.
DAMAGE REPORT
Myself-right knee the size of a balloon and all the colours of the rainbow,very sore and stiff,shoulder also black and blue.
The bike
Screen f*cked
Headlamp f*cked
Tank dented with an imprint of my head
Grab handle/lock mounting casting f*cked
Right hand mirror f*cked
All right hand fairing panel scratched, scraped or cracked
Apart from that all is well with me, thank you all for your messages concern they are very much appreciated, once again thanks.

Duncan.
PS if there are any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors don’t blame me blame my spell checker.

PaulV
25.07.2006, 01:01 PM
Yep, you are definately okay then:thumbs:

weeian
25.07.2006, 01:24 PM
nice write up KD, good to hear your ok ! thats the main thing :)

/ian

Steve748
25.07.2006, 01:38 PM
Good to see and read that your ok and that scrape on your leg isn't that minor injury, bide your time with the replacement bits they will appear on fleabay eventually! As with the screen don't bother getting a replacement standard one, I would go for a double bubble, tinted of course it takes the wind flow off your chest and you still get a bit on the shoulders to reduce the weight on your wrists. If you have to replace the seat go for a Sargent seat. ...http://www.sargentcycle.com/ducati.htm ... you wont regret it as it will transform the comfort level and probably cheaper than the stock one. Nice to see you again on sunday and I look forward to the next time!:thumbs:

borderduc
25.07.2006, 01:40 PM
Duncan,

Glad you got back in one piece. You were well ahead of me as I only got back at 11.30. I came via Scotch Corner/Newcastle/A68 to make sure I could get fuel rather than go direct from Piercebridge.

I'll try to call you re the Midgie Masher so we can get that organised.

I'm going to Ducati Glasgow this week so if you want me to pick up any bits let me know.

Derek
25.07.2006, 01:58 PM
What an epic write up, you should get a medal for that one Dunc. :)
I'm looking forward to the Midgie Masher but I'll be staying well clear of you though ;)

kdblamire
25.07.2006, 02:06 PM
Good to see and read that your ok and that scrape on your leg isn't that minor injury, bide your time with the replacement bits they will appear on fleabay eventually! As with the screen don't bother getting a replacement standard one, I would go for a double bubble, tinted of course it takes the wind flow off your chest and you still get a bit on the shoulders to reduce the weight on your wrists. If you have to replace the seat go for a Sargent seat. ...http://www.sargentcycle.com/ducati.htm ... you wont regret it as it will transform the comfort level and probably cheaper than the stock one. Nice to see you again on sunday and I look forward to the next time!:thumbs: Allready got the double bubble orderd off the net, handle /lock mounting orderd with Ducati-Glasgow,bidding ends at 21:00 tonight on a headlamp unit,and found out the mirrors off Suzuki gsx's are the same£21:00 so will be buying online shortly,the seat is ok and I will live with the tank till next year or maybe a tank cover for now unless someone knows of a good tank repairer.:thumbs:

Steve748
25.07.2006, 03:41 PM
I will live with the tank till next year or maybe a tank cover for now unless someone knows of a good tank repairer.:thumbs:[/QUOTE]

You could buy a baglux tank cover for it and even if you dont put a bag on it you can get a handy map holder to give it some purpose! Did you see my PM?

gordj65
25.07.2006, 03:42 PM
good to see your linguistic abilities are as crap as ever half they things you said are german.important thing is your alright until the next slagging session which may be sooner than you think;)

Tam
25.07.2006, 03:46 PM
What an epic,and i thought Gordy was a good story teller.
Glad your ok Dunc and hands aff ma grab rail at the midgie masher ya duffer:D

kdblamire
25.07.2006, 03:50 PM
good to see your linguistic abilities are as crap as ever half they things you said are german.important thing is your alright until the next slagging session which may be sooner than you think;)
Am not so far out of it that a can't give as good as a get, bring on ya best cr*p yer big waste o web space:finger:
PS OOOOH THAT'S MADE ME FEEL SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER:D

kdblamire
25.07.2006, 04:02 PM
Same goes for you Tam,and Keep yer hands on ya grab rail y tool,at least a can look over me shoulder:crazy:and a can de this :banghead:withoot hortin ma heed:jerkoff:
I think that's me back to normal now, brrrrrrr,bip, briiiiiii,eeeeek,
toooot,baaaaaaar, beeeeeeep.

Tam
25.07.2006, 04:04 PM
Lmho ya nutter:D

Tam
25.07.2006, 04:05 PM
We've always said Geordies were Scotsmen with there heids bashed in and you've just proved it.:p :D

Spud Raver
25.07.2006, 04:10 PM
The good the bad and the ugly of my day out in the dales,woke up Sunday morning 06:15 raring to go, took a light breakfast as I was anticipating a rather large nosh in Hawes at 10:00 left the house at 07:30 to meet up with Borderduc in Selkirk aprox 10 min journey fo each of us, as usual our timing was perfect 07:45 we join forces and attack the 60 mile plus A7 to Carlisle .
The sun is shining the air is still and all the bugs and beasties are having a Sunday lie in so with clear vision,the wide fast sweeping immaculate surfaced traffic free (eat ya heart out all you city dwellers)A7 passes in an instant,we cruise on down the M6 to J42, as Geoff had post the previous evening he would meet with us at J46, but seeing as how the M6 has only 44 junctions we presumed he had probably been partaking of to much electric soup and was not quite the full shilling, so we guest J42 was what he meant,(wrong) waited 10 min had quick search of the services without any joy so we blasted on south for Hawes.
Approaching Penrith DB pulls along side making pointy gestures to his tank and me being a rather bright and wise old gentleman deduced he required some essence(that's french for petrol)so exit at J40 pulls into the fuel station low a behold sitting outside the Red Rooster cafe’(that's more french) are “The Lost Boys” AKA Geoff, Bruce,and Rigormootman. partaking of some rays, we formally introduce ourselves and now we are 5 so with DB fuelled up we gather in formation and once again , in a cacophony of Ducati exhaust note, proceed to invade North Lancashire and the Yorkshire Dales and after a fairly brisk but uneventful journey (apart from myself getting some very rude and abusive gestures from a bicyclist for some manoeuvre made by Rigormootman) we arrive at Hawse Penny Garth Café, to be met by a very happy smilie Rockjock and after the usual intros we promptly order and then devour a full english.(Davieravie you missed out on this one yumyumyum burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp).
Now that were fed and watered here we go for the main event,Pete (Rockjock) I can call him Pete now cos we’ve been introduce,leads us off I know not where but generally East and to the seaside for a paddle and more food (see what ya missed again Davieravie) leaving Hawes it’s a good interesting road but oh those bloody tourists,why don’t they stay at home and wash there cars, mow the lawn or get on with some D I Y? and leave the roads to us Ducatista who know what to do on them,(spleen vented )now on with tour next stop fuel(that’s english for essence)for the french amongst you,then dually arrive in Helmsley and I think this is where Rigormootman bids us a fond farewell and heads back home for an appointment with his employment,oh dear what a shame never mind at least he got a bit of a run in and @@@@ed off a bicyclist t’boot.
So onward and eastward to another oh so necessary “petrol” stop( i’ve given up on me linguistic all bent)but we have to muscle our way through a bloody great gang of a potentially dirty bikers,they were actually off roaders and they did allow us access to the pumps after we had pacified them with our good looking bikes as well as our own personal handsomeness and charm after refuelling we made our excuses and bid them good-bye
Still heading east into the sun our expectations mounting as sense the coast ahead we weave our way through an unfamiliar amount of urban traffic soon arrive at the moors and duly attack them with gusto( he joined at the start of the moors)Pete leading DB followed by yours truly with Geoff and Bruce as tail gunners,onward and upwards, twisting turning, rising and dropping,lots of oriental gentlemen flashing past in both directions but we are oblivious to them, we are right in the groove five Ducs growling over the landscape then , oh and then,it happened my bank balance flashed before me,it plummeted south my overdraft went into afterburner mode,everything on the road ahead seamed to be retarding rather abruptly, in fact far to abruptly for my liking so into auto retardation mode, squeeze front brake hard, balance up with rear brake oh @@@@ back wheels rising ease off front, every thing is still in line, back on front brake again looking good we have control,oh feck it’s dead stop ahead Pete’s stooped on the crown of the road trying to turn right on a sweeping left hand bend but can’t due to oncoming traffic David Burnie’s a bikes length behind him and to his left KDB‘S got some decision making to do,take out Pete, take out DB take out my beloved ss in the left-hand ditch or go for something much more spectacular,snap decision let’s try some Purple helmet stunt and just stop,being just a teeny weeny bit of a exhibitionist I chose the latter, wow the ss brake are good, to bloody good, front end dives back wheel takes skyward again but this time keeps heading that way I stay with it , got keep my composure,bike now vertical i’m still in my riding position still thinking about bank balance,headlamp and screen now making contact with mother earth, i’m staying in riding position( got to look good even if not feeling to good)now for my piece de resistance(i’m back with the linguistics again) I tuck my head in against the tank waiting for impact, think I better hit the kill switch don’t want the bike to go squirling down the road without me, it may do some damage,so do that,then bang, impact, backpack hits tarmac, helmet hits tank, grab handle also smashes down on to the black stuff then silence I jump from below my, what I think is my dearly beloved departed Duc and proceed to drag her up onto her rubber bits while at the same time a female occupant of one of the spectating vehicles enquires about my well-being to which I confirm in the positive whilst cautiously waggling each of my extremities making sure I wasn’t telling her porkies, later that evening I discovered I was.
Pete and DB then help remove the stricken beast to verge and after a general examination the consensus of opinion was you will continue to experience the thrill of riding the highways and byways of the UK and we will carry on with the mission,by this time Geoff and Bruce had caught up and wondered why my bike was pointing in the direction we had just come from,we gave them the full SP with lots of expletives just make more interesting the after a bit of bodging and fiddling cable ties and a full road test, then the mandatory photo call, we made off with haste towards Sandsend and the sea for more food and drinks.
Arrive at the seaside enter the car park and make the decision not to part with any hard earned for the privilege, considering it was a Sunday and also Pete was in the company of three tight wad jocks and a geordie and himself a Yorkshire man it was definitely no contest, I myself then proceeded to strip off for more than just a paddle in the sea, I had the forethought to wear my swimming attire under my leathers but it was agreed that for sanity of the residents of Sansend and the day trippers, it would be best not to expose them to my naked flesh, and also a good nosh was favourite, so to the cafe’(more french) it was.
With our group satisfied in the sustenance department we remount and once again are booming along like a world war two fighter squadron emitting a similar amount of acoustics both thrilling and disturbing the promenaders along the sea front,as usual we are in search of more gas(that’s yankee for petrol) my command of foreign languages is even surprising me,we fill up just outside whitby then carry on west towards Harragate for an appiontment with Steve748 we are playing catchup with time but still facilitate another photo stop up on the moors,the David Bailie moment taken care of we are on the move again over a selection of Yorkshire’s finest get buzzed along rout by a mad red baron on a panzer an d with me now not having a right hand mirror was taken by surprise,I still say he came at us out of the sun, another few miles along the road he did us again, this time he must have been hiding in the clouds I was second in the formation at this time, an Pete still leader resisted the temptation to take him on, after a painstaking last few miles behind a long train of weekend drivers we arrived at Steves with the afore mentioned standing in his doorway waiting to greet us in an impressive Meccano leg kit and a big grin, me thinks he must have heard us coming, once again the introductions and pleasantries are exchanged we partake of tea and coffee,thank you Steve your entertaning skills are a pleasure to behold and it was good to see you so bright eyed and bushy tailed after all you’ve been through, your an example to us all.
Now this next chapter is where I lost the plot a bit, well not a bit,quite a large amount really, suitably refreshed and toiletted we say our farewells to Steve and proceed to leave, only i’m still busy talking and not paying attention to where we are heading next so ask Dave “where to next Dave” “not to sure either”he says” “ we just follow Rockjock” by now my bumps and bruises are starting to make themselves known to me so putting my gear on takes longer than usual,i’m rather slow anyway,it’s an age thing, I get the bike turned and drive up to the road end 100 Mtrs, like a good motorcyclist I look right the left then right again,bugger the road is void of Ducatis other than a solo KDB sitting at the junction thinking “av’e got a bit o trouble Betty” so me thinks wait someone will come back for me when they realise i’ve gone A,W.O.L. 5 min pass seems like an age,no one shows, now that tumbleweed rolling down a deserted street feeling begins to take over,so I go into homing pigeon mode ,thinking they may have gone straight up the A1 so I sets off like a scalded cat as fast as my poor brand new,very second hand looking 800ss would take me blarting up the road those little voices in my head started talking to me in tongs which I can understand because i’m bilingual “what's she who must be obeyed going to say at the state of your pride and joy?” after all she does own a percentage of it,”what if it rains you don’t have a headlamp glass if it gets wet it’ll go pop and it may go dark before you get home then what will you do?” “if you go up the A68 will you get fuel?”and many other doubt provoking thoughts,then sanity returns,I remember I had mentioned to David that, when Geoff and Bruce set off for Glasgow up the A66 then M6 ,M74 we should go up the B6275 through Peicebridge and catch the A68 just south of West Aucklandso I make for Peicebridge, stop on the village green with the intention of phoning Rockjock as I didn’t have David's mobile No, but just as I arrive in the village my phone rings, a text from Dave they are heading for Leyburn then Richmond,measage timed at 18:30 the time now is 19:15 and i’m 30 miles further up the road, what to do?text back say where I am tell them I will wait for David here,Not sure if text has gone so try phoning,beep,beep,beep,beep, something not right , try Pete's No get through and he informs me he’s at home , gives me his tale of lost fluids and assures me the rest of them will find me,I decide to stay put but then that voice starts up again, ”will the BP garage at West Auckland still be open?” “Is your fuel light still functioning correctly after your off? you may have to make a detour to Hexham or Newcastle if you can’t get fuel at West Auckland” and again “what if it rains, darkness no lights etc. etc.?” you will have noticed by now my language skills have deserted me and thinking only in classic panic, so 21:00 comes round David still no show try phoning again still no joy so must go.
I manage fuel at West Auckland and go for a record braking run up the military road towards the CarterBar, at Rochester I catch up on a Northumbria Police patrol car which I casually draw up behind and proceed to follow him, he immediately indicates for me to pass him, KD, thinking it’s a trap gracefully decline,he then pulls into a lay-by and I have no choice but to continue on, he then like a good catholic immediately pulls out again then draws along side i’m thinking he’s going to pull this old git on this rat bike,but no, with a big grin on his face the shotgun rider gestures me to proceed more briskly, not quite sure what i’m seeing I pretend I don’t see him and continue at my leisurely 60 mph he gestured again with a thumbs up and an even bigger grin so not being one to disobey the law progressively turned on the power, he pulled back behind me and dropped back I thought a booking for excessive speed would just round the day off nicely so went for it, the last I saw of them was as a tiny yellow and white speck in my one and only left hand mirror as I topped the the CarterBar and the safety of Scotland,got a wee bit of gliff as I passed through Jedburgh when a local panda car came shanking up behind me only to continue on past taking the Kelso road ahead of me,must have been late for his supper or something,I myself arrived at my abode 22:00 safe and sound but bracing myself for a major ear bashing from her indoors, about the state of me and the bike but nurse Fiona Blamire being my carer for almost 40 years, new how to handle it and she was very calm about it all,just glad I was,although battered and bruised still in one piece and as for the bike all she said was “sh*t happens” speaking of which, learn more about that here, http://home.pacbell.net/diana_do/knowjack.htm:thumbs: (http://home.pacbell.net/diana_do/knowjack.htm:thumbs:)
thanks everyone for another memorable day out and roll on the Midgie Masher,the bike will be ready for it one way or another,all ready got bids in on Fleabay for some parts and ordered others on the web, only thing I need from Martin at Ducati-Glasgow is the grab handle/seat lock casting,funding the repair myself to keep my N.C D. and avoid my excess,and intend having a falling out with a sheep next year when I will have Protected N.C.D.
I spent the whole of Monday locked in my home workshop incommunicado(that’s another foreign word)stripping the bike down to see what was required to get her looking better for more Midgie Masher preparation.
DAMAGE REPORT
Myself-right knee the size of a balloon and all the colours of the rainbow,very sore and stiff,shoulder also black and blue.
The bike
Screen f*cked
Headlamp f*cked
Tank dented with an imprint of my head
Grab handle/lock mounting casting f*cked
Right hand mirror f*cked
All right hand fairing panel scratched, scraped or cracked
Apart from that all is well with me, thank you all for your messages concern they are very much appreciated, once again thanks.

Duncan.
PS if there are any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors don’t blame me blame my spell checker.

When is Chapter 2 out??? ;)

kdblamire
25.07.2006, 05:00 PM
This is the picture book version for those who are slightly retarded,and I think womble's sh*t his pants,see first photo.

Spud Raver
25.07.2006, 05:04 PM
Gordon and I are planning coming down to pay you a visit the night......get the kettle on or the beers in the fridge! :thumbs:

rockjock620
25.07.2006, 05:10 PM
top man, that's the best story for ages - keep up the good work.

kdblamire
25.07.2006, 05:26 PM
Do you know where to come?

Spud Raver
25.07.2006, 05:31 PM
Do you know where to come?

Nope......give me directions and keep it short please ;) .....down A68 to St Boswells................

:confused: :confused: :confused:

gordj65
25.07.2006, 05:36 PM
no subtitles with the pictures ,i thought you said it was easier for us hard of thi;) nking

kdblamire
25.07.2006, 06:52 PM
Gordon, Davie, sent you both a PM with an easy, get you here guide,read it slowly and carefully and digest,see ya sometime.