PDA

View Full Version : Moto Guzzi Centauro?

The Honest Man
17.08.2012, 06:18 PM
Folks I was at the Scottish Italian car and bike day last week. And while there were some stunning Dukes ,my eyes wandered over a Guzzi Centauro in Black,it was a W reg and to be honest I loved the look of it. Can anyone tell me what they are like to ride,run,live with etc,prices what to look for etc. I have seen one down south but have no idea as to value etc,
Is it a viable option to Ducati?
Cheers Paul:D

monster_998
17.08.2012, 06:38 PM
I have no experience of the Centauro itself but in general terms the Guzzis do not have great build quality - I saw a '02 Nevada turn reddish-brown in less an 12 months and a V11 Le Mans that needed 3 gearboxes in the first 1000 milles......

IMO, they are nice to look at, but I wouldn't want to know one. Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

The Honest Man
17.08.2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks mate,maybe not but truths good!:D

gordj65
17.08.2012, 08:07 PM
recently, since being taken over by Piaggio, theyre quality and design has risen, parts supply can still be a bit problimatical especially for older models, but they are improving. Must admit I thought a couple of them looked pretty good as well

The Honest Man
17.08.2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks mate,yes they were nice and quirky! The Nero whatever it was was stunning! The Centauro just looked like an Italian V rod???

Cateran
17.08.2012, 09:00 PM
I've a bit of a soft spot for Guzzis, they're a bit different and in a world of Guzzis, the Centauro is a bit different. Designed along similiar thoughts to a Monster: Lower gearing; No fairing etc. (but a bit heavy compared to Ducs) It has 4 valve heads which means it breathes well. It is Italian and Guzzi has had its problems over the years but a well kept one will run high mileages. I think a Griso is a similiar but better buy.

deputydawg
17.08.2012, 11:29 PM
Guzzis are great - go for it - they're totally different from dukes but completely Italian and an absolute blast.

As for reliability you'll see far more guzzis with big mileages than you will dukes so that tells you something.

In terms of value if you look carefully you'll get a lot of bike for the money.

Cheers

Kenny.

cactus
18.08.2012, 03:53 PM
I owned a 1000 SE (1992) for getting on for 10 years, totally reliable never missed a beat, only problem I ever had was a broken throttle cable. These bikes are big mileage machines, I had mine all over Scotland and to Ireland also, many have toured the world. As stated in an earlier post completely Italian and they get plenty of attention, they take a bit of getting used to and are heavy, as for the Centauro you don't see a lot of them. Go for it, you only live once. :thumbs:

Gizmo
18.08.2012, 07:42 PM
Centauro is pre Piaggio design which IMHO is a good thing, I owned an 07 Norge and it was one of the worst designed and worst put together bikes I've ever had. really wanted to like it as I had a soft spot for Guzzi's but the lack of investment meant they skimped by using a roadster and converting it to a GT. pre Piaggio would be my choice :)

Personally I'd try one before you buy, I did a short test ride on one way back in the 90's and it was quirky, AIR you sit on it rather than in it. if you like the position and ride it should be an easy enough bike to keep running as spares for engine are easily found and it'll use standard Italian parts for brakes and suspension

The Honest Man
20.08.2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys,dont think I will be able to afford it now though. May start looking at Monsters,Multis:)