PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the garage

Gizmo
12.08.2006, 01:29 PM
As some of you know I've been after a classic for a while, replying to the "what bike would you own" thread made me realize i needed to actually do summit instead of talking about it so I've just got meself one of these

http://homepage.mac.com/gizmo999/upnorth/montjuicmk1.jpg

1 of only about 200 Mk 1 Laverda Montjuics with Series 1 cams, high comp pistons and race exhaust so the first puchase might need to be the Supertrapp restrictors so me neighbours don't complain too much.

Roll on winter and time in the garage.

Biscuit
12.08.2006, 02:07 PM
very nice, my local bike shop had a Laverda 600 in for ages (full fairing, twin headlamp thing), looked over it several times, it was really clean. some collector chap just bought it along with a brand new early 90's duke 750.

gordj65
12.08.2006, 02:08 PM
well done mike, believe it or not one of those or something incredibly similar went past the shop the other day there, was german registered, same colour, looked beautiful

rockjock620
12.08.2006, 02:37 PM
Orange is the only colour for these! Back in 1977/78 I was down at Spurn Point and saw two Jotas parked together - one orange, one silver, what a sight! Lusted after one ever since. Is the Montjuic a spec up from the Jota? I know Slaters tweek the Jota, is it cams, pipes etc? One of my mates is restoring one as we speak, having oil flow problems............

MartinH
12.08.2006, 02:40 PM
You will be also needing this then!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laverda-Montjuic-Alpino-500-manual_W0QQitemZ230015561898QQihZ013QQcategoryZ122262QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gizmo
12.08.2006, 03:02 PM
You will be also needing this then!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laverda-Montjuic-Alpino-500-manual_W0QQitemZ230015561898QQihZ013QQcategoryZ122262QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks Martin, its a mark 2 manual but still applicable

Gizmo
12.08.2006, 03:04 PM
Orange is the only colour for these! Back in 1977/78 I was down at Spurn Point and saw two Jotas parked together - one orange, one silver, what a sight! Lusted after one ever since. Is the Montjuic a spec up from the Jota? I know Slaters tweek the Jota, is it cams, pipes etc? One of my mates is restoring one as we speak, having oil flow problems............

its orange Pete, all the montjuics were. its a special uk version 500 twin alpina based model, high cams, pistons etc, looks like a mini SFC 750 which is on my dream garage list

gordj65
12.08.2006, 03:20 PM
sorry the one i saw had jota on it so it mustnt have been the exact same, but still bloody nice :D

Screwy
12.08.2006, 04:00 PM
You jammy [email protected]@rd , Allways wanted one when they came out , Every bike mag raved over them. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Steve748
12.08.2006, 04:59 PM

The Montjuic is an Alpina 500 twin with different cams, straight thru pipes and different bodywork by Slaters it was a right beast to ride, really anti-social and wouldn't tickover. It was named after the race track of the same name where Laverda had some results! The same engine was later developed for the 600 and 750 bikes of the 90's.
The Jota was a triple and named after a spanish dance in 3/8 time. Laverda had a 750 twin and needed a bigger engine so they put another cylinder on the end of the 750 and as they couldn't afford to change the crankshaft they had it so the end cylinders would alternate with the middle one in a 180 crank giving the engine that unusual sound.
They called it a 3c (3 cylinder) and after selling a few Slaters and Steve Winterton saw the potential changed the cams and the pistons, put a straight thru exhaust on it called it Jota and went racing with it with Roger Winterburn and Pete Davies. Some success was enough to give the Jota legendary status ever since. Later bored out for the 1200 Mirage which was more of a tourer!

Neepdocker
12.08.2006, 07:21 PM
Very nice!! I hope you're going to be using it. Not locking it up in the garage to admire. :) :) :)

ProjectImola004
12.08.2006, 07:40 PM
...what a fabulous bike Gizmo. I love these - lost for words!! :) :)

weeian
12.08.2006, 07:52 PM
michael they are stunning bikes, well done for going & getting 1 !

1 day i will get 1.

/ian

BDG
12.08.2006, 11:15 PM
Nice one Michael, didn't take you long from the other thread starting, suspect you were already plotting:D

Loz
12.08.2006, 11:33 PM
LOL, Shaun beat me to it.

Mike, look forward to seeing pics soon!

Gizmo
13.08.2006, 09:23 AM
Nice one Michael, didn't take you long from the other thread starting, suspect you were already plotting:D

I've been looking for a few weeks Shaun, I knew the Laverda was there as it belongs to JohnC who helped me start UpNorth, wasn't sure it was the right bike as I'd want an SFC or SF but typing that post i realised I'd go on looking for one at the right money forever, better to get something I like and get a start working on it than sit procrastinating :D Straight after I replied I called John and we came to a deal on it. He's still got his RGS Corsa, 750S and Formula 750 race bike to play with, might pick it up next weekend and maybe stop at Cadwell on the way back with it. I'll add photos as soon as I get it.

Monster-Rob
16.08.2006, 06:27 PM
Congratulations, very nice indeedy..

:)

Gizmo
17.08.2006, 05:55 AM
well, todays the day,I'm about to start the drive down to pick it up, will post photos tonight or tomorrow

Monster-Rob
17.08.2006, 09:20 AM
enjoy, I have my weather fingers crossed for u :)

looking forward too seeing the piccys..

Nowt like the feeling of picking up a new PAJ.

BDG
17.08.2006, 10:01 AM
Gizmo, i've got an old orange Rickman topbox in the loft you can fit.

Start scouring ebay for some old Lewis Leathers and a Bell Star helmet for that authentic 80's look, along with bright yellow NCB plastic waterproof leggings for winter.

Gizmo
17.08.2006, 09:55 PM
Gizmo, i've got an old orange Rickman topbox in the loft you can fit.

Start scouring ebay for some old Lewis Leathers and a Bell Star helmet for that authentic 80's look, along with bright yellow NCB plastic waterproof leggings for winter.

no room for top boxes on this race machine Shaun :) and i've already got a TT leathers jacket sat waiting :D

here we go folks, dragged out from John's barn today and looking good, tax disc expired 1992 and it ain't been on the road since then!!

http://homepage.mac.com/gizmo999/laverda/montjuic06.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/gizmo999/laverda/montjuic05.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/gizmo999/laverda/montjuic04.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/gizmo999/laverda/montjuic01.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/gizmo999/laverda/montjuic03.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/gizmo999/laverda/montjuic02.jpg

dseered
17.08.2006, 10:12 PM
Pantone 151c ;)

Engine looks mahooooosive, shes a babe mate !

arj
17.08.2006, 10:35 PM
You may find this link of some use:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/laverda/itcatalog/mainframe.htm

I've not dealt with Wolfgang myself but he seems to have a very good reputation. Also does quite a few parts suitable for Bevels and indeed all Italian exotica.

Gizmo
17.08.2006, 11:02 PM
You may find this link of some use:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/laverda/itcatalog/mainframe.htm

I've not dealt with Wolfgang myself but he seems to have a very good reputation. Also does quite a few parts suitable for Bevels and indeed all Italian exotica.

thanks, a very useful link

Spud Raver
18.08.2006, 12:01 AM
I think the disc's need a rub down first or are they meant to be painted in creosote. ;) Looks like a good wee project. Should keep you entertained over the winter:thumbs:

So.......when are you purchasing the new allotment???? ;) ;)

MartinH
18.08.2006, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=Gizmo]no room for top boxes on this race machine Shaun :) and i've already got a TT leathers jacket sat waiting :D

here we go folks, dragged out from John's barn today and looking good, tax disc expired 1992 and it ain't been on the road since then!!

QUOTE]

Looks good, you out on her on Saturday then? :D

Linzi
18.08.2006, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=Gizmo]no room for top boxes on this race machine Shaun :) and i've already got a TT leathers jacket sat waiting :D

QUOTE]

Looks good, you out on her on Saturday then? :D

Haha :D she won't be going anywhere for a while - there's quite a bit of work to be done.

MartinH
18.08.2006, 07:57 AM
Bit of spit and polish and it should be ready for the weekend?

Gizmo
18.08.2006, 08:17 AM
Bit of spit and polish and it should be ready for the weekend?

just a lit bit more work than that Martin, it hasn't been started for over 13 years!! need to get carbs sorted, battery, fuel taps and a few other bits to get it running but I'll probably strip the whole bike to get the frame stoved first. Some bits need rechroming so i'll have to strip it to get at them, forks will need a rebuild as I'd think the oil might need a change. valves need checking ( but they always do on monty's), engine oil filter etc ( that gets done every 500 - 1000 miles!!)

Got a spare frame as well but its a bit bent, I need to see if i can find someone to replace a couple of tubes and then get it back in line.

dseered
18.08.2006, 08:21 AM
Mikey, ref the frame drop Felix a PM over on DSC and ask him for Barry's number, really good bloke and fabricates frames for a living and makes them really nice !

He is the guy that fabricated Felix's new machine.

He is based in York.

Gizmo
18.08.2006, 08:31 AM
Mikey, ref the frame drop Felix a PM over on DSC and ask him for Barry's number, really good bloke and fabricates frames for a living and makes them really nice !

He is the guy that fabricated Felix's new machine.

He is based in York.

thanks Ian.

gordj65
18.08.2006, 09:46 AM
looks like the perfect restoration find. not too much to do but still enough for fun :D

ProjectImola004
18.08.2006, 10:00 AM
wow, only just read this - what a great bike and all those bits - well done.
I worked in Hitchin incidentally for a while - whereabouts was it there?

Gizmo
18.08.2006, 10:19 AM
wow, only just read this - what a great bike and all those bits - well done.
I worked in Hitchin incidentally for a while - whereabouts was it there?

Think its the north end of Hitchin, a farm off the 505. John is a good customer of Baines, he's got the Formula 750 Laverda race bike which will be heading back to them over winter after he snapped the balancer shaft at Cadwell a few weeks ago.

ProjectImola004
18.08.2006, 10:35 AM
Bl*dy hell, I know John, top bloke - blimey it's a small world!!

here I am in the North Highlands talking to a bloke in - whereever it is you are, about a bloke we both know whos in a completely different part of the world!!! ;)

Gizmo
18.08.2006, 06:11 PM
Bl*dy hell, I know John, top bloke - blimey it's a small world!!

here I am in the North Highlands talking to a bloke in - whereever it is you are, about a bloke we both know whos in a completely different part of the world!!! ;)

Did you get the mags he sent you Ed :D :D

He did all the initial webwork on upnorth, weve known each other a long time now, used to ride all over Europe together, there's a pic somewhere on here of me and him on one of those tours, tour d'arse it might be titled.

ProjectImola004
18.08.2006, 07:04 PM
Yes I did and next time you speak to him tell him I got them via Baines and still have them & thank you (I'm sure I did this already) - They are a load of old late '80s bike scripts all with something to do with Italian bikes in them.

Put him in touch with me as I don't have his details - I can come and have some horse poo in his porridge!!! :D ;)

Gizmo
18.08.2006, 08:23 PM
Yes I did and next time you speak to him tell him I got them via Baines and still have them & thank you (I'm sure I did this already) - They are a load of old late '80s bike scripts all with something to do with Italian bikes in them.

Put him in touch with me as I don't have his details - I can come and have some horse poo in his porridge!!! :D ;)

Ah but he's got a load more up in the farm loft, he kept anything with Laverda's in, I know I went through them all yesterday and grabbed the montjuic articles :D

I've told him you are on here anyway :)

ProjectImola004
19.08.2006, 09:18 AM
Great!

The Lav Formulas that Geoff and Russ raced were bl*ody fast - after John Baines spent all winter tuning the F*ck out of them - great looking bikes too!

Paul748
21.08.2006, 05:48 PM
Good catch that Mike, look very nice indeed.

weeveetwin
23.09.2006, 11:15 AM
Seen this one Mike? It looks a real beauty!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-LAVERDA-MONTJUIC-MINT-MK1_W0QQitemZ110036529813QQihZ001QQcategoryZ122172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Steve748
23.09.2006, 01:00 PM
That is a really nice one, see the same clocks and bars as they used on the triples. Nice and original, somebody is going to get a nice bike. Earplugs mandatory! :eek:

239desmo
24.09.2006, 08:50 AM
Approx 500 people have looked at it but no bids!
Perhaps it is Michael looking 496 times and 4 others of course? :D

Steve748
24.09.2006, 10:38 AM

Once you've looked you are counted! So it will be every Laverda nut around the world that will been counted. I still have a look on Laverda stuff even though I would never buy another!

Gizmo
24.09.2006, 11:15 AM

the monty is an "odd" bike because it was UK only, if you want a 500 racer most collectors would go for a Formula but they rarely come up. Monty's tend to be bought by people who saw or heard them early eighties, its not something you get into from other models. Even though they are extremely rare the market for them is small :( Jota's tend to be sought after, SFC's command the highest pries but IMHO the SF750 is probably the most desirable and easiest to sell, i'd be interested to see one of them come up on ebay.

that monty is a nice example, montydons are the experts at restoring them , hopefully i'll get mine into that condition eventually.

239desmo
24.09.2006, 12:04 PM
the monty is an "odd" bike because it was UK only, if you want a 500 racer most collectors would go for a Formula but they rarely come up. Monty's tend to be bought by people who saw or heard them early eighties, its not something you get into from other models. Even though they are extremely rare the market for them is small :( Jota's tend to be sought after, SFC's command the highest pries but IMHO the SF750 is probably the most desirable and easiest to sell, i'd be interested to see one of them come up on ebay.

that monty is a nice example, montydons are the experts at restoring them , hopefully i'll get mine into that condition eventually.
I think it is a lovely bike and hits the spot with me! I am no expert on Laverda (or Ducati!!) but this seems to be Jota money. Is this the going prices these days?

Gizmo
24.09.2006, 01:04 PM
I think it is a lovely bike and hits the spot with me! I am no expert on Laverda (or Ducati!!) but this seems to be Jota money. Is this the going prices these days?

they are moving towards the 4K mark now, you have to remember these are much, much rarer that Jota's, 125 were made, 98 still exist according to Montydons. it was a special made using some factory Formula parts which were sold worldwide but the Monty got UK only bodywork specially commissioned by Slater Bros the importers and parts are almost impossible to find. the Jota was also a Slater Bros model but sold in much bigger numbers and for more years and more bits exist for them.

The monty was usually tested against the new at the time Pantah 500SL, both cost around the same money (2300 in 1980) both had the same HP, 52 but the Monty was 40lbs lighter and more race track orientated, its a bit like a 749R today. Jota's were more road biased and usable and are still a much better buy if you want to ride a classic Laverda although i'd probably look for an RGS corsa if i really wanted a classic Laverda to do big trips on, that model is one of the best sport/sport tourers ever made.

Gizmo
29.09.2006, 10:21 PM
well , almost 1800 views and it didn't reach its reserve :( I'd have thought it would get to 3K but the highest bid was £1880, i was right when i said there was a small market for them :(

Nige Ducati UK
25.11.2006, 03:00 PM
I always wanted a monty when i was a lad in 1980 but all i could afford was a s/h RD400. There was one Monty that i used to see regularly at Matlock Bath and me and all my mates lusted after it constantly, even though the RD's were just as quick.

I graduated onto Kawasaki H2 750 triples after the RD, which were awesome in their day. Long story much shortenned......in 1992 i had the chance of buying another H2 or a Monty.....a decision that took nearly a month to make.

"Mr Noisy" came to Nottingham! My neighbours hated me, i had shares in Loctite, my dentist loved me, Richard Slater was my best friend, the local plod always knew where I was but the grin factor was great. :D

However, it was not all beer and skittles. Be prepared to have some "interesting times" :( :mad: :confused: :comp2: :eek: :beer:

"Mr Noisy" now resides somewhere in the North East. look out for it DWL 345V i think was the reg number. It has (had) no fairing when i owned it. it also had a 600cc conversion in it, which gave it a little bit of mid range and was marginaly easier to ride than the 500cc capacity.

The lesson I learned from it, was never go back, always go forward.

Enjoy ;)

Gizmo
26.11.2006, 09:39 AM
I always wanted a monty when i was a lad in 1980 but all i could afford was a s/h RD400. There was one Monty that i used to see regularly at Matlock Bath and me and all my mates lusted after it constantly, even though the RD's were just as quick.

I graduated onto Kawasaki H2 750 triples after the RD, which were awesome in their day. Long story much shortenned......in 1992 i had the chance of buying another H2 or a Monty.....a decision that took nearly a month to make.

"Mr Noisy" came to Nottingham! My neighbours hated me, i had shares in Loctite, my dentist loved me, Richard Slater was my best friend, the local plod always knew where I was but the grin factor was great. :D

However, it was not all beer and skittles. Be prepared to have some "interesting times" :(

"Mr Noisy" now resides somewhere in the North East. look out for it DWL 345V i think was the reg number. It has (had) no fairing when i owned it. it also had a 600cc conversion in it, which gave it a little bit of mid range and was marginaly easier to ride than the 500cc capacity.

The lesson I learned from it, was never go back, always go forward.

Enjoy

ooh, i had an H1 triple back in 1975, wanted an SFC750 electronica but there was no way i could ever afford it but it got me into Laverda's , even now i hanker after an H1 or H2 but the prices are crazy :(

I'll keep an eye out for your old bike, I've just found out there will be an attempt to get 30 monty's together at the VMCC to recreate the original Monty race series, can you imagine the noise from 30 sets of megaphones :)

i'm well aware of its quirks :), mine is a nicely tweaked bike, bigger oil pump, needle roller swingarm and sensible modifications. i'd originally planned on taking it back to as close as it left the fatory but will now get it back to how they were "owned" and more usable. think i'll fit the front fairing for looks but they are more unstable at speed if you have it on.

Frame went for powder coat on Friday, most of the chrome bits are away now as well, I've got a goal of 14/15 July to get it finished :)

I'm still not sure i can ride it out of my yard, its all gravel and I'll be clutch slipping and sliding my way across it to a hill, it'll be very embarrassing having to push it to the road first :)

Nige Ducati UK
26.11.2006, 10:51 AM
Now you must sell tickets to that event: riding it accross gravel with the infamously fragile Monty Clutch......worth paying to watch. ;)

I tried for ages to find a suitable mod to make the thing more reliable and user friendly without success. This was ultimately the deciding factor when selling it. I could put up with all the other shortcomings but the clutch was a real pain.

I would still buy another H2 if the prices ere reasonable, but as you rightly say they are mad.

Puts it into perspective just how far things have moved on when you consider that the M695 has the same BHP at an H2......:eek:

Gizmo
26.11.2006, 11:32 AM
Now you must sell tickets to that event: riding it accross gravel with the infamously fragile Monty Clutch......worth paying to watch.

I tried for ages to find a suitable mod to make the thing more reliable and user friendly without success. This was ultimately the deciding factor when selling it. I could put up with all the other shortcomings but the clutch was a real pain.

I would still buy another H2 if the prices ere reasonable, but as you rightly say they are mad.

Puts it into perspective just how far things have moved on when you consider that the M695 has the same BHP at an H2......

ah, yes, the clutch has been modified with better springs :) it just makes it harder to pull in though. luckily i live on open roads and don't have any town riding to do, i'd never have bought it if i did!

All the mid 70's stuff is going up in value, the triples are much sought after and whilst i can see why there are a lot nicer options before i'd spend that kind of money.

The 695 is missing one important triple feature, the hinge in the middle and a 2000 rpm revband :D I can still remember the first time i opened the H1 up and the front wheel went skywards very quickly I managed to get it down then tried to go round the fast approaching corner with the rear wheel going wherever it wanted and the front pawing for the sky, happy days

Nige Ducati UK
26.11.2006, 12:20 PM
ah,
The 695 is missing one important triple feature, the hinge in the middle and a 2000 rpm revband :D I can still remember the first time i opened the H1 up and the front wheel went skywards very quickly I managed to get it down then tried to go round the fast approaching corner with the rear wheel going wherever it wanted and the front pawing for the sky, happy days

My H2 was the later "C" model with the longer sing arm which made a massive difference over a mates H2A. Milder wheelies and an "oil damped" hinge :) ....as you say happy days.

My fave triple was the S2 350, i still have Bike's roadtest called "The Angry red Vaccuum Cleaner comes to Town". Now that really did have a narrow powerband, zip below 6500rpm and zip above 8000. Every ride was an adrenaline fueled rush. I'm sure that was where the phrase "rode it like he'd stolen it" came from ;)

Scottch
26.11.2006, 12:27 PM
Can't agree with that Nige, sorry.

"rode it like he'd stolen it" definately originated from Glasgow ;)

Nige Ducati UK
27.11.2006, 11:19 PM
I will bow to your superior knowledge oh wise one.....let me guess another arguement over who's turn to pay at the bar???? ;)

Scottch
28.11.2006, 09:08 AM
No argument here mate - it's your turn! :D

239desmo
06.01.2008, 05:04 PM
Just an update on a long extinct thread!
Bike in question decided it needed to move way North where it could make as much noise as it wanted without bothering anyone.
So in the one weekend where parts of the country actually had seasonal weather the dirty deed was done.
Bike is on the ramp and spanners are being cleaned!
2008 is shaping up for a noisy one!;) :)

ProjectImola004
06.01.2008, 05:09 PM
without trawling through this thread again, which bike are you referring to?

Gizmo
06.01.2008, 05:15 PM
Just an update on a long extinct thread!
Bike in question decided it needed to move way North where it could make as much noise as it wanted without bothering anyone.
So in the one weekend where parts of the country actually had seasonal weather the dirty deed was done.
Bike is on the ramp and spanners are being cleaned!
2008 is shaping up for a noisy one!;) :)

I'd better alter my bike list in my profile now. Big thanks Stewart. we're looking forward to a run up early in the year to hear it up and running :D

Gizmo
06.01.2008, 05:17 PM
without trawling through this thread again, which bike are you referring to?

Stewart is now the proud owner of a Laverda Montjuic, unfortunately I just haven't had time to complete the restoration so he's taken over. You'll be able to hear it from your house when he starts it Edward :D

ProjectImola004
06.01.2008, 05:19 PM
Oh Bl*ody excellent!!! Lovely bike, lovely sound, can't wait to hear and see it!! :)

its me
06.01.2008, 06:50 PM
wow, i'm so jealous very nice.:tantrum:

239desmo
06.01.2008, 08:28 PM
Oh Bl*ody excellent!!! Lovely bike, lovely sound, can't wait to hear and see it!! :)

If the exhausts (sorry ....hollow tubes!) are pointing your direction your windows will come in before you hear it!;) :)

ProjectImola004
06.01.2008, 08:48 PM
...at least I'll see the shock wave crossing the firth and have time to take cover before I'm lacerated by flying glass!!!! :eek: :p

239desmo
06.01.2008, 08:50 PM
...at least I'll see the shock wave crossing the firth and have time to take cover before I'm lacerated by flying glass!!!! :eek: :p

:D :D :D