PDA

View Full Version : BMW kneeler

sam
26.07.2018, 11:00 AM
Seeing as it is quiet at the moment Ill throw this to the lions.

I picked up a new project a couple of months ago to use on my anual Moidart/ Kinlochleven run,its a BMW R75 kneeler. This was being built by a guy to race but fell ill and it lay for some 10yrs then a friend of his put it up for sale. Having discusions with the MOT chappie on what is required to make this road legal then a trip to VOSA to have it sorted out. On closer inspection there are not two wheels in the correct position so I'lll have to clear the jig and rectify.
First is to remove the scooter chair wheel, I have purchased a 10" minilight along with a road legal Avon advan tyre. New hub aquired and my ex passenger is machining a new spindle as I type.
Motor has been stripped and measured bead blasted and thoroughly cleaned ready for assembly.
The motor consists of balanced crank, high comp Omega pistons not knowing the history of the con rods they were sent off to a metal improving company and have just arrived back from being shot peened to relieve stress which also increases the strength by aprox 30%.
The cylinder heads have been machined to create what is called a splayed head giving a more direct flow of fuel into the cylinders fed by a race cam, Kibblewhite valves and Dellorto carbs, the head has also been twin plugged. Stroll on April. :)

Derek
26.07.2018, 11:54 AM
That will be good fun but do you not think that a kneeler on the road could be a bit dangerous? It will be so low vehicles in front won't know it's there. You could always fit a flag to it :D

sam
26.07.2018, 12:28 PM
It will be bright and LOUD , a friend had mentioned a flag but I could see that taking out pedestrians when cornering. I shall also have daytime led running lights.

Derek
26.07.2018, 12:58 PM
... a friend had mentioned a flag but I could see that taking out pedestrians when cornering...
:flash: Even more fun :flash: :D :D

sam
28.07.2018, 09:17 AM
:flash: Even more fun :flash: :D :D

Here's me thinking you were a retired chilled out hippy ! :lol2:

sam
02.09.2018, 09:30 AM
I achieved a little bit of kitchen engineering yesterday. I needed to up the main spine for the chair hub from 1 1/4 to 2" so machined a plug to fit the inside dia of the tube bored the centre then used a 2" hole saw boring each intersection then removing the tube to the next one. Life can be much simpler when the science has been removed, all done within the hour.

sam
25.09.2018, 05:30 PM
Chair wheel mounted and in the correct place, camber and tow set. Minilight wheel instead of the scooter wheel keeping it within period, also added another 5 inches into the width extending the distance from centre of the drive wheel to centre of the chair wheel. Getting a wee buzz doing this one!! :D

BeePee
25.09.2018, 11:01 PM
That looks fantastic but what's under the cover :flash::)

sam
26.09.2018, 06:09 AM
Empty bottles ! Got in there before the supermarkets !!:lol2:

sam
26.09.2018, 09:03 AM
That looks fantastic but what's under the cover :flash::)

It's another classic a Ducati TT2 with a 600 SL motor. I do small bits to it now and again but other projects keep on coming along that gain more interest :)

sam
28.10.2018, 12:31 PM
More progress, I found a nice slim seat unit that complimented what I was aiming to achieve but this involved removing more tubes.
Hopefully this is the last I have to alter and I can now start joining the dots. I also discovered that the front end was leading and not trailing so made a new set of forks using oval tube, still in keeping with the CRMC regs.

Sam

Scott 888
05.11.2018, 08:38 PM
Just needs some bra broon pipes now Sam:)

sam
05.11.2018, 09:26 PM
Cylinder heads modified,Just ordered Kibblewhite springs and caps for the high lift cam, bores rebored engine built,check valve clearence for the high comp pistons and adjust squish, just recieved my oval tube for the new forks , seat rails finished, master cylinders mounted, petrol tank fabricated, fairings mounted then painted then broon pipes and finally wiring done, stripped down powder coated and rebuilt. Getting there though.

Sam