PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new here and new to Ducati's!

Spagforth
16.10.2006, 09:48 PM
Hello Folks, I have pushed the boat out and bought my first Ducati. I have been biking all my life and now on the wrong side of 50. I have had BMW's for the lats 21 years with smatterings of other things alongside them and have gradually got disillusioned by their declining quality. My last bike a GS1200 was a poor succesor to the 1150 whcih was a great bike but bloody heavy.

To cut a long story short I have been riding my Suzie's Ducati S2 800 Monster during the summer, she has been recovering from a broken leg, and absolutely loved it.

So much soo I have taken the plunge and bought a S4RS with the 999 engine in it. I absolutely love it to bits. Everything that motorcycling should be , fast, light, handles and looks like its doing 100 at a standstill. If I could get it in the front room I would its a work of art.

Funny really, every time I go to it I think its never going to start and whgen it does it sounds like its in terminal melt down but apparently they all do that. Goes like stink and that V twin power delivery is just so addictive.

Looking forward to many years on it. Bit of a ramble but thought I would share it with you. Hope to see you at a meet or on the road soon.

Cheers Spagforth

PS. Do they really all sound like that!!! Just had its 600 mile service and apparently everything was just fine. Are there any weak points on them? You know the rumours that abound. But there again BMW's were supposed to be the first word in relaibility!!! Have you logged on to the GSER's UK website and looked at the technicla pages. Scare the pants offf you!!!!!!

;) :beer: :lol2: :D

Spud Raver
16.10.2006, 09:59 PM
Welcome Spaggy.....make mines a Berocca tablet, Im still feeling the effects of a monster booze binge over the weekend! :D

Steve748
16.10.2006, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the best site on all things Ducati with an excellent forum too!
Yep, they all sound like that apart from the wet clutch models and there will be a few more of those next year.
I'll have a cup of Yorkshire:tea: please!

Biscuit
16.10.2006, 10:16 PM
Hey Spaggers, Absinthe plz.

Easingwold you are, had family in Oulsten, some good roads you have out there, hopefully see you around. Welcome to DuN :wave:

desmomick
16.10.2006, 10:36 PM
to DuN Spagforth..:welcome:.. there is no going back now youv'e tasted and liked, and do not be too concerned about reliability problems with your choice of bike. They did have issues with dodgy electrics and build quality in the past but Ducati realised they had to raise the standard to remain competetive and now offer a package that you can be confident with. The noises you hear are normal... nothing to worry about. Ducati's run with a dry clutch configuration..:confused:..imagine a dozen whitworth spanners in a biscuit tin, put on the lid, pick it up and shake it!!:eek:...kin noisy..eh?remove the lid and pour in 2ltrs of oil, replace lid and shake the tin again..not so noisy? The oil acts as a cushion and reduces the noise. Most other makes run with wet clutch(oil) so you dont hear anything, thats the difference. There is some noise from the desmodronic valve operation but...:yawn:..just ride the bugger, stop frettin, and enjoy!!!!:D

she has been recovering from a broken leg, and absolutely loved it.
I am more concerned about this statment....:laugh: :laugh:

Martin Ducati Glasgow
16.10.2006, 10:52 PM
Hello Folks, I have pushed the boat out and bought my first Ducati. I have been biking all my life and now on the wrong side of 50. I have had BMW's for the lats 21 years with smatterings of other things alongside them and have gradually got disillusioned by their declining quality. My last bike a GS1200 was a poor succesor to the 1150 whcih was a great bike but bloody heavy.

To cut a long story short I have been riding my Suzie's Ducati S2 800 Monster during the summer, she has been recovering from a broken leg, and absolutely loved it.

So much soo I have taken the plunge and bought a S4RS with the 999 engine in it. I absolutely love it to bits. Everything that motorcycling should be , fast, light, handles and looks like its doing 100 at a standstill. If I could get it in the front room I would its a work of art.

Funny really, every time I go to it I think its never going to start and whgen it does it sounds like its in terminal melt down but apparently they all do that. Goes like stink and that V twin power delivery is just so addictive.

Looking forward to many years on it. Bit of a ramble but thought I would share it with you. Hope to see you at a meet or on the road soon.

Cheers Spagforth

PS. Do they really all sound like that!!! Just had its 600 mile service and apparently everything was just fine. Are there any weak points on them? You know the rumours that abound. But there again BMW's were supposed to be the first word in relaibility!!! Have you logged on to the GSER's UK website and looked at the technicla pages. Scare the pants offf you!!!!!!

;) :beer: :lol2: :D

Welcome on board Spagforth, mine's a hot toddy - i'm full of the flu!!:(

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new bike - a very good choice, I was out on a S4R yesterday - i'm super impressed with them too!:)

Mart

padge
16.10.2006, 10:57 PM
hello there and welcome spagforth!
had a spin on an s4rs a few weeks back,awesome!:eek:

biking will never be the same again now,i guarantee that! :D

where abouts is Easingwold anyway?

i'll have a cup of cha, ta very much.

rockjock620
17.10.2006, 09:44 AM
Welcome aboard, tea please! Did you ever pick up the PM I sent you? Can't remember now if you replied! (PM's are top right of the screen). Keep any eye on the rideouts section, we were out this last Sunday, not a million miles from you.

Freak
17.10.2006, 10:16 AM
Morning, great bikes those S4RS's don't know of any major issues with them to be honest, the testastretta lumps pretty bullet proof.

But over 50 eh? that's the average age on the forum going up again LOL!!!

Ooh nice coffee for me please as the stuff out of the machine here is pish!

Scottch
17.10.2006, 10:18 AM
Welcome aboard mate!

rockjock620
17.10.2006, 10:37 AM
Morning, great bikes those S4RS's don't know of any major issues with them to be honest, the testastretta lumps pretty bullet proof.

But over 50 eh? that's the average age on the forum going up again LOL!!!

Ooh nice coffee for me please as the stuff out of the machine here is pish!
nowt wrong with over fifty mate!

weeian
17.10.2006, 11:26 AM

Beware ! Elderly crossing the road . . . . :p

Welcome spag ! i love the s4rs its a beast of a bike.

/ian

rockjock620
17.10.2006, 12:25 PM
shut the @@@@ up and get your homework done!

Freak
17.10.2006, 02:25 PM

I don't want to know about your sexual conquests Pete! :p

Nimue
17.10.2006, 05:23 PM
Eyup Spaggers, I got my first Duc at the end of last year, never looked back! My S4 doesn't sound as clattery as some, wonder what could be wrong? (Oh, but my Termis, now that's another thing entirely!)

Make mine a swift pint please, cheers, Jan xx

Paul748
17.10.2006, 05:27 PM
Welcome Spaggers, the sound is part of the attraction. Pint of porter please

239desmo
17.10.2006, 08:54 PM
Welcome Spagforth, a small Glenmorangie no ice or water would be very nice thank you! :D I say when it comes to cars I haven't reached my Mercedes years and when it's bikes I've yet to come to my BMW period! You're going the other way...top man!! Don't worry about age you're still a spring chicken compared to some here! ;)

vic
17.10.2006, 09:14 PM
how do spagforth, S4RS what a top bike :cool:
mines a cup of yorkshire tea mate :tea:
welcome to DUN,hope you like what you see
cheers

weeian
17.10.2006, 11:47 PM
I don't want to know about your sexual conquests Pete! :p

lol hes a jealous guy jon ! :D

/ian

Spagforth
18.10.2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome folks, absolutely love the bike and reassuringly you all confirm that Ducati's have shed their dodgy reliabilty reputation. Which is more than can be said for BMW who seem to be going t'other way! anyway, dry clutch rattles and rumbles, who cares the thing is just sooooooo drop dead gorgeous. As one of you said,, 'quit frettin, get riding' . Having said that the roads round Easingwold, ( just north of York), are covered in @@@@e now thanks to billy Farmer and his humungous taty pickin machinery. The Fazer winter hack is having to cope with all that lot!

See you soon chaps.

Cheers Spagforth ;) :) :beer:

vic
01.08.2007, 09:34 PM
Was good to meet you and Sue tonight,Hopefully you'll log on and see this post.Look forward to meeting up with the pair of you again....Soon :D

Cheers Vic :thumbs:

PS Get that clutch cover bought :lol2: