PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Accounts

Gizmo
12.11.2006, 08:43 AM
It seems that we've had a large number of famous racers suddenly registering on upnorth :) I know it can be amusing to use the anonymity of a second account for a bit of fun but not everyone sees it that way :(. UpNorth's primary function is to be a site for northern Ducati owners to get information and organize meets, it's also quite a nice place to hang out and enjoy a bit of craic/banter however it needs to be a balance between the 2 and if it goes too far in the direction of craic we run the risk that we'll deter people from using it as it can get too "cliquey" and have little to do with why its here.

I've got no desire ( or the time ) to start monitoring every post or registration and then having to make decisions on censoring or deleting them, I've always believed that everyone using the site understands that they are part of a "group" and will consider their actions and impact on that group so the role of a moderator should not be needed.

Up until now I've had very little to do, common sense has prevailed and most of the posts that have caused issues have been deleted by the poster without any admin intervention, I'd like this situation to continue......

The only way i can prevent double accounts is to make registration require my approval, this will deter people from joining and one i want to avoid if I can.

The accounts from yesterday are all now set to "miserable user" this means that you can still access the site but some functions work haphazardly, you'll get 404 errors and page redirects, if you want to continue using the account drop me a pm from your normal login name.

Hopefully everyone understands my reasons for doing this. I'm leaving this thread open to allow anyone who wants to comment to do so.

Spud Raver
12.11.2006, 10:07 AM
Yep....I agree 100% with you Michael. While we all have a good laugh at each others expense (mostly mine :D ) sometimes the bounderies are overstepped and its something I personally dont want to see.

There were some funny posts there for a while though :lol2:

rockjock620
12.11.2006, 03:06 PM
Agree entirely, they are/were a gross waste of time and space. We all like a laugh but such postings devalue the site. Before long it would be like the other ones........

Paul748
12.11.2006, 03:59 PM
Ditto

ProjectImola004
12.11.2006, 05:05 PM
I've been offline for a couple of days so I have no idea what has been going on. Although I did see someone post by the name of Neil Hodgson, have no idea of it is the real macoy or someone just using the name.
Anyway what did I miss?

rockjock620
12.11.2006, 05:16 PM
I've been offline for a couple of days so I have no idea what has been going on. Although I did see someone post by the name of Neil Hodgson, have no idea of it is the real macoy or someone just using the name.
Anyway what did I miss?
nothing really, we're just going to ignore it.....them......

Fergie
12.11.2006, 05:19 PM
Anyway what did I miss?

The real Mccoy? Hardly. It was me having a poke at Berto. Fair and square. If anyone sees it as a waste of time or childish or a waste of space then they need to take a long hard look at thier sense of humour, and if need be go out and get one!
There are plenty of useless threads on here. I find the best moderator is just not too look at them or reply to them. Thats what I do.

As for people being upset by the banter, I only see a few minor murmerings.

Ian

ProjectImola004
12.11.2006, 05:23 PM
oh, I'm out of here, not getting involved in politics!

...can I change my surmame name to Lawson then? ;)

Fergie
12.11.2006, 05:27 PM
oh, I'm out of here, not getting involved in politics!

...can I change my surmame name to Lawson then? ;)

Nigel or Eddie???;)

ProjectImola004
12.11.2006, 05:32 PM
:D lol

doooorrrrrrrrrrrr

what's my christian name mate?

Spud Raver
12.11.2006, 05:32 PM
No one got killed or really was abused.......Berto dishes it out big time and its fair play that he takes it all on the chin....... :cool:

dseered
12.11.2006, 05:56 PM
The real Mccoy? Hardly. It was me having a poke at Berto. Fair and square. If anyone sees it as a waste of time or childish or a waste of space then they need to take a long hard look at thier sense of humour, and if need be go out and get one!
There are plenty of useless threads on here. I find the best moderator is just not too look at them or reply to them. Thats what I do.

As for people being upset by the banter, I only see a few minor murmerings.

Ian

Fair play, have a pop at Berto, Fergie Vs Berto, why hide behing another username ?
I think I have a sense of humour, it is perhaps behind the times, when dead people start showing up on a forum for a laugh though ?
Thems the rules mate, in fact Gizmo can make them up as he goes along if he want, that is his perogative, if you don't like it.................

ProjectImola004
12.11.2006, 06:07 PM
now I am really confused - dead people? wtf:eek:

Fergie
12.11.2006, 06:14 PM
Fair play, have a pop at Berto, Fergie Vs Berto, why hide behing another username ?
I think I have a sense of humour, it is perhaps behind the times, when dead people start showing up on a forum for a laugh though ?
Thems the rules mate, in fact Gizmo can make them up as he goes along if he want, that is his perogative, if you don't like it.................

Oh my God! Neil Hodgson is.....is......is.....?
Come on mr Dsee. I believe the humour came from Berto proclaiming himself the next Pons! I was having a laugh. Really.
If you are referring to Mr Sheene, then I am sure even HE would have found it funny. If you are honestly, and I mean honestly offended then I am sure whoever is behind the Sheene facade will unveil themselves and apologise.:rolleyes:
Rules are rules and I think the forum is great. But there appears to be on for one and one for another.

Lets face it. Is a thread about sheep s h a g g i n g any less offensive than having a funny pop at Berto?

dseered
12.11.2006, 06:27 PM
Feel free to have a pop at who you want fella, I really couldn't give a @@@@, why hide though, I don't really know Berto, I do know he can be a little on the obnoxious side at times though, whatever.
In the past I have held other names on forums, I still do in fact, only the mods know them, if indeed they do, I'm not sure, I am however sure they can find them if they want though as they would ping up from the same IP.

It just went a bit far last night,

Fergie
12.11.2006, 06:36 PM
Feel free to have a pop at who you want fella, I really couldn't give a @@@@, why hide though, I don't really know Berto, I do know he can be a little on the obnoxious side at times though, whatever.
In the past I have held other names on forums, I still do in fact, only the mods know them, if indeed they do, I'm not sure, I am however sure they can find them if they want though as they would ping up from the same IP.

It just went a bit far last night,

I thoroughly disagree. Fergie is my name and my tag. No hiding at all. EVER.
As for the Neil Hodgson tag!!!!!! Come on! The Craic line is there for stuff like this. I for one found it hilarious. It did not go far enough.
I did not hide one bit. Everyone who read the thread on My Sunday Run would have got the gist of it.
Its this sort of pish that spoils it.

Anyway Im off out for dinner. In Cumbernauld. With Neil.:D

The real pity is Berto never got the chance to participate in what was his finest hour. Probably.

;)

Gizmo
12.11.2006, 06:39 PM
i've let a lot of stuff run because it is amusing, i found the Neil Hodgson gag funny and laughed as did many others, my concerns are over where it then goes, we can all asume alter ego's and wind each other up but is that what what the forum is for? The reason i deleted the Bary Shene thread was cos I could see it might offend, whether it did or it didn't isn't the issue its the fact that potential existed. the reason i made the public statement on it was cos its the first time we've had it happen and whilst it was funny i see no need to continue it, thats not applying different rules for one or another. I know Fergie will say what he wants to Berto and doesn't need an alias but that might not apply if others start to do the same. thats not a dig at anyone involved yesterday, it was funny and I'm sure many people did laugh it starts a trend that I really don't want to have to try and moderate.
Hopefully no one sees that as a dictatorship, yes, i can make rules but i hope everyone sees the reasons why i've taken that stance as i really don't want to spend my time policing things or it will end up like other forums which i'm sure most of us don't want.
I'm about to leave and will be away for 3 days so if i can't get internet access you can all create as many aliases as you want....

Neepdocker
12.11.2006, 06:53 PM
It was I. We can all be [email protected] at times but honestly Ian it was not done to offend.

If I have offended anyone. Sorry.

G. Agostini.

Spud Raver
12.11.2006, 06:57 PM
G. Agostini.

I think he owns my local chippy??? ;)

Neepdocker
12.11.2006, 07:04 PM
I think he owns my local chippy??? ;)

There's a big family of Agostini's over here. I think they came here just after the war. Lovely Chips:rolleyes: ;) ;) ;)

Fergie
12.11.2006, 08:30 PM
It was I. We can all be [email protected] at times but honestly Ian it was not done to offend.

If I have offended anyone. Sorry.

G. Agostini.

Never offended me mate. I had tears running down my face.
Point made though Mr Gizmo. I agree that it could go too far.
Saying that, the post count shows there are still people out there!

Like I said earlier, its just a real pity that Berto never got a chance to wear a flower to his prom!!!!!!!
HE WILL BE GUTTED!
(and that in itself is fodder for round two!! DING DING!)

weeian
12.11.2006, 11:20 PM
i apologise michael. it was funny with 8 pints in me. :)

/ian

berto
13.11.2006, 07:42 AM
Ya bunch o barstards I was on the verge of bagging Randy/Ian/Dan/Tony till i saw it was a big hoax started by a copy of Feggie(copy/xerox did you see what i did there??oh never mind).
Yeah Feg some pal you are you could have text me to let me see what was goin on before grubenfuhrer Giz deleted all the funnies.
Anyway you are all welcome for a cuppa at any of the Scottish/New Era/North East and British rounds we will be competing in next year but remember ride safe people wearing jeans will not be welcome(Is that ok Feg?)...;)