PDA

View Full Version : Hmm So you call this a side stand????

mellowman
06.02.2006, 12:07 PM
I have just got my nice new shiney red Ducati on Saturday - took it out for a quick ride about - grins all over - sheeeeit do they stop abruptley! and the acceleration hahahahaha giggles like a little school girl with a new poster of a boy band!.

Loved it stopped, turned, went quick fantastic. Stopped by a mates place so that he could admire my new bike and tell me what a great bloke I was because I now owned a really great bike, put the side stand down, got off the bike - bike falls over taking me with it - CRACK need a new helmet, JEEEESUS what was that all about - seems the little side stand doesnt snap into place like all the other (all three of them) used to do - it wasn't down properly and just folded back up under the weight of the bike.

BUGGER.

luckily no damage except to my pride and ego and a bit of a scratch on the pannier. except as I type this I realise I have a stiff neck and a sore arm from lifting the bike up. Oh and now I need to buy a new lid to - perhaps a shiny red Ducati logod one. possiby not.

Live and learn.

Sean.

PS

is this a common problem? My mate said it happened to him the first time he bought a ducati - I think maybe he was just being kind??

Derek
06.02.2006, 12:44 PM
Mellowman,
Sorry to hear that you dropped your nice new bike. As fas as I'm aware there is no problem with the current sidestands. Just make sure it is fully forward before you let the weight of the bike rest on it. A few years back the sidestands were arranged to retract as soon as the weight was lifted off them - Now these were a problem :eek:

macbean
06.02.2006, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear of your mis-hap. Every Ducati I've ever seen has a crap sidestand. They're all too flimsy and end up getting worse with age. I've had experience of four bikes parked in my garage by mates etc (996, 748, 900SS and Multistrada) and they all went gradually worse with age and use. Time Ducati got a grip...

Freak
06.02.2006, 03:38 PM
999 one's a beast Mac maybe they have been listening....

How's my daughter anyway? :D

macbean
06.02.2006, 03:45 PM
Ruby's just grate... she wants horse riding lessons, shall I send you the bill?

Freak
06.02.2006, 03:48 PM
Ruby's just grate... she wants horse riding lessons, shall I send you the bill?

Horse riding lessons!!! Next she'll want a horse.... I think the sheen is starting to fade on this unwritten adoption :weed:

macbean
06.02.2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah but the best part is , her mother's allergic to horses! She'll be piggy eyed and sneezing every time Roo goes home. That's worth the price of a horse alone!!

Freak
06.02.2006, 04:24 PM
I can imagine you're gutted with that then ;)

So I assume you planted that seed in her mind just for that very reason eh?

nic6196
07.02.2006, 01:20 PM
Mellowman,
A few years back the sidestands were arranged to retract as soon as the weight was lifted off them - Now these were a problem :eek:

yup!!! i'll agree with you there! my 94 ss has a suicide stand- hence the reason it has now hit the deck twice taking me with it - i obviously never learnt my lesson the first time!! i now have an inbred fear of putting the bike on the stand, resulting in it taking me about 10 mins to park up every time i stop now! oh yes and some lovely scratched bodywork to boot. Also count yourself lucky you are a guy and strong enough to lift the bike, when it happened to me i had the horrific ( now hilarious) embarassment of getting stuck under the thing, getting petrol poured all over me, then having to run to get the group of hysterical welders across the street to help me up with it!!

now that was embarassing!:o :o

Martin Ducati Glasgow
07.02.2006, 02:04 PM
A few years back the sidestands were arranged to retract as soon as the weight was lifted off them - Now these were a problem :eek:

Ahhhh, the old sui-side stand problem. These have caused many an issue in the past.
It's funny, 50% of our customers that have these, love them (after getting used to them) the other 50% get shot of them ASAP. It's just personal preference as usual. I must admit, they took me ages to get used to although I don't really have a preference.

The good news is most can be modified very quickly / cheaply.
For folks with 748's 916's, there is a 3 bracket that rectifies the problem and the stand acts as per a "normal" side stand. It should be noted there is no cut out switch however and care must be taken to retract the stand before riding away.:eek:

For folks with the SS as an example, there is a post on the back of the assembly that can be buffed off to convert the stand. Nic, if you speak nicely to drewV2 i'm sure he could do it for you.

For anybody else out there, call Harry in Parts at our place and he could talk you through it!
Just remember, again you could ride away with the stand down and that's not good (understatement of the year!!) Much care must be taken here on an ongoing basis:eek:

As to the strength of the new stand, I had this pic taken to show how strong the new ones are, they're solid. Both wheels are off the deck here. The full weight of the bike is on the stand, although i've got my knee behind it just incase!!!!!
Don't try this at home, just in case. I've never had one break (touch wood!) but i'm sure there is the possibilty one could one day, if it was faulty etc!!!
Also you don't want to be doing this often or for any length of time!!

nic6196
07.02.2006, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=Martin Ducati Glasgow]
For folks with the SS as an example, there is a post on the back of the assembly that can be buffed off to convert the stand. Nic, if you speak nicely to drewV2 i'm sure he could do it for you.

yeah i know, Harry told me and i've been waiting for him to do it for about 2 years now- since the aforementioned incident! seems to think that he doesn't want to buff down the screw thingy and wants to fit some little bit of metal plate...... i have no idea what he is talking about so i'll just have to put up with it for now. just make sure i have strong guys out with me anytime i go out or don't go anywhere that involves a lot of stopping - best way!

Scottch
07.02.2006, 02:18 PM
Just lean it against a wall! ;)

Martin Ducati Glasgow
07.02.2006, 02:22 PM
just make sure i have strong guys out with me anytime i go out !

I'm sure you'll get loads of offers on here!!! ;) :D

Incidentaly, (and I don't know if you already do this, I know you're not a newbie or anything like that!) some folks prefer getting off the bke to put the stand down instead of stretching their leg forward to hold it out. I don't know if you've tried that as an alternative!:)

nic6196
07.02.2006, 02:26 PM
Just lean it against a wall! ;)

i like that idea better than martins, i really dont fancy that idea of tryin to get off and balance it at the same time, no no! or preferrably - hand it to someone else to park so i can get in the pub quicker - bonus!

Martin Ducati Glasgow
07.02.2006, 02:34 PM
i can get in the pub quicker - bonus!

:D :D :D :D

Derek
07.02.2006, 03:46 PM
The good news is most can be modified very quickly / cheaply.
For folks with 748's 916's, there is a 3 bracket that rectifies the problem and the stand acts as per a "normal" side stand. It should be noted there is no cut out switch however and care must be taken to retract the stand before riding away.:eek:
!

I did this mod to my 900ss but I also wired a piezo sounder in parallel with the stand warning light. If I left the stand down it gave out a loud BEEEEEEEEEE..... to let me know. I don't know if the 916, 748 etc. have a warning light though.

Freak
07.02.2006, 04:52 PM
I did this mod to my 900ss but I also wired a piezo sounder in parallel with the stand warning light. If I left the stand down it gave out a loud BEEEEEEEEEE..... to let me know. I don't know if the 916, 748 etc. have a warning light though.

No, no warning light on 748-998, non on the 749/999 also.... wouldn't be hard on 998/749/999 and late 748's etc as they use a switch on the sidestand which I am sure you could hack into

dseered
07.02.2006, 05:57 PM
I just forget to put my feet down :(

alane
08.02.2006, 05:30 PM
And for riders with superlights - check the side stand fixings for tightness - I once rode to a mates a good few miles away only to find he wasn't in AND one of the side stand bolts had come adrift, so couldn't leave the bike, couldn't fill with petrol, and basically made the last few miles home on fumes. Bugger.

Freak
09.02.2006, 09:14 AM
Mate had a similar experience with a 916 Alan... went out for a spin got home, put the sidestand down, well attempted to but it had fallen off, so propped up against the wall until a new one arrived

Gizmo
09.02.2006, 06:32 PM
And if you've got a Monster and are fitting rearsets don't do it on just the side-stand, one of the footrest bolts holds the side stand on, once loosened the bike falls on top of you, it took me about an hour to get out from under it and then try and refit the bolt with it half laid on top of me :(

dseered
09.02.2006, 07:40 PM
And for riders with superlights - check the side stand fixings for tightness - I once rode to a mates a good few miles away only to find he wasn't in AND one of the side stand bolts had come adrift, so couldn't leave the bike, couldn't fill with petrol, and basically made the last few miles home on fumes. Bugger.

Had to jump mine off a battery pack last Sat, fuel light was on as tank was near enough drained for Winter, I just left it running at the petrol station, kinda jesticulated to the attendant and he switched the pump on 'remove your helmet though' came over the tannoy !

dseered
09.02.2006, 07:41 PM
And if you've got a Monster and are fitting rearsets don't do it on just the side-stand, one of the footrest bolts holds the side stand on, once loosened the bike falls on top of you, it took me about an hour to get out from under it and then try and refit the bolt with it half laid on top of me :(

Bet that was funny :D

Well afterwards anyway !

Scottch
09.02.2006, 10:15 PM
Bet that was funny :D

Always is, when it's some other poor bugger!! ;)

Neepdocker
11.02.2006, 08:34 AM
Sorry to here about all the problems with your stands. These people can help www.brancatoengineering.freeserve.co.uk They sell a stainless bolt that allows the stand to stay down.These are avaliable for SS 748/9** ranges.But as Martin stresses you MUST remember to retract the stand.

Scottch
11.02.2006, 04:39 PM
But as Martin stresses you MUST remember to retract the stand.

I suppose you'd only forget once :(

Neepdocker
11.02.2006, 08:27 PM
I suppose you'd only forget once :(
Nah it's just like riding a unicycle. Trust me I know;) ;) ;) ;)

kdblamire
25.07.2006, 02:20 PM
If you want tips on how to handle a bike without a side stand? ask Bruce who came on the Dalesman with us on Sunday, no side stand , and only one arm, I admire him and was amazed at his adeptness.:hail:

gordj65
25.07.2006, 03:29 PM
just to tee you all off ,see the sidestand on the st 2 its feckin brilliant.its had the weight of one of my wifes 20 odd stone pals on it and never complained.(i didnt either she was too big to argue with and the bike sort of disapeared when she sat on it).
its right where you want it to be easy to put down and it doesnt flick back up ever.
you might have the flasher bikes but i can just get off mine and walk away

PaulV
25.07.2006, 03:41 PM
just to tee you all off ,see the sidestand on the st 2 its feckin brilliant.its had the weight of one of my wifes 20 odd stone pals on it and never complained.(i didnt either she was too big to argue with and the bike sort of disapeared when she sat on it).
its right where you want it to be easy to put down and it doesnt flick back up ever.
you might have the flasher bikes but i can just get off mine and walk away

...an I have had no bother with my Multi. Had a GSXF before this and the thing rolled off it's stand. I realised I wouldn't make it back to the bike in time so shut my eyes and waited for the crunch:mad: :mad: . No noise came, so opened my eyes and the bloody thing was rolling extremely slowly and was still up right. I made a move to try and grab it before it fell, at that point :eek: :eek: it saw me running and took a dive. Bar end and fairing damage but nowt major. Never left it on the stand out of gear ever again, and to this day I always leave the bike in gear.;)