PDA

View Full Version : New Motor

rockjock620
08.05.2007, 09:10 PM
OK, having put about three hundred miles on it so far......read around some forums.....here are some observations and responses to others. No particular order and a little rambling but........

Wrist problems? Take the strain with your legs at the tank and don't lean on your arms or hold the bars too tight - relax and use your lower body to steer and control weight shifts.

Mirrors Useless? Adjust them high, lift your arms and look under your elbows not around them. Easy. A bit like a pair of flapping chicken wings, but it works. Vibrations are only a big problem if you have the bike in too high a gear and not pulling in the sweet part of the torque curve. Use the gears correctly. The test bike had "loose" mirrors which kept moving, if mine develops that syndrome (brewer's droop I reckon) I'll let you know the cure.

Underseat storage? Since when has ANY Ducati had any space at all, anywhere? Usual solutions - bumbag, rucksack, tankbag (yes I know it's plastic.....). Tail pack?

Looking at the dash? If you can't spare the time to look at it, interpret it, understand it, and use the info it provides then you must be going waaayyy too fast for any road riding! I need reading glasses but can see and use my dash OK.

Seat? Yes it is a touch hard, but not very big so there will be an easy and probably affordable gel option out there quite soon.

Brakes? Have to be way better than anything I've ever used, even on a 996?

"S"? Same performance really, just a lot of bling - oops!

Tank Range? Interesting I saw 98 miles elapse before the fuel light came on Bank Holiday Monday. Then on the "count up" miles I saw 29.5 and it was still going. Upon refuelling it toook exactly 13.8 litres to brim - so maybe there was bit more left........15.5 litres being tank capacity. Alright so I wasn't redlining it all over the place, but what's the point in that? Still phenomenally quick even when short shifting. Use the torque, not the revs.

Braking in corners? The bike will only sit up because you allow it/force it to, it's inherently stable in the direction pointed, don't upset that stability.

Bars trapping your hands? Not if you hold them at the outer ends rather than pushing against the inner stop with your thumb. But it's only at U turn style manouvres anyway.

Personally I really hate only two things - the lights being permanently on and the very tacky plasticky feeling screen. Oh and the "squint" on the end cans. That's three I know. Oh and the weld scar on the outer face of that beautiful swingarm. Still, a bit of carbon will cover that. Make that four. And the fact that I'll need a new front paddock stand. Damn, I'm gonna quit while I'm (almost) ahead.

Acceleration? fantastic (nearly lost the bars once - mental note, grip a little tighter if really trying hard in a straight line), braking? quite brilliant, corner speed and stability? superb. It's basically fecking awesome, the awesomest thing in a shedload of very awesome things. I think.

Sentimental photos to follow.

Spud Raver
08.05.2007, 09:19 PM
When can I get a shot and do my report? I promise not to have Hayfever too...;)

samieb
08.05.2007, 09:28 PM
I agree with most of the things said here. Particulary the fact that you don't have to thrash it to go places. A nice, firm, steady pace while enjoying the twisties will get you there with a smile on your face just as quick. Oh 1 thing you missed Pete was that on a bumpy road it jumps the little bumps & humps in the road and wheelies for fun. However thats before you've exceeded the running in rules and regs (sticking to under 6k RPM) honest guv'ner...

rockjock620
09.05.2007, 04:30 PM
Photos as promised - tribal gathering - The Triplets (anyone watch "My Hero"?) Saturday evening sunshine, bliss!

rockjock620
09.05.2007, 04:32 PM
I agree with most of the things said here. Particulary the fact that you don't have to thrash it to go places. A nice, firm, steady pace while enjoying the twisties will get you there with a smile on your face just as quick. Oh 1 thing you missed Pete was that on a bumpy road it jumps the little bumps & humps in the road and wheelies for fun. However thats before you've exceeded the running in rules and regs (sticking to under 6k RPM) honest guv'ner...

6krpm? wot's dat den? :D

winston
09.05.2007, 09:34 PM
Are you on about the Hypermotard ?

Mr C
10.05.2007, 08:42 AM
What a fine Collection you have there Pete

samieb
10.05.2007, 11:44 AM
6krpm? wot's dat den? :D

Its called running the bike in gently Pete!! Lol

Dougie748
10.05.2007, 12:30 PM
Nice bike Pete.

First time I've seen one in the flesh. Pictures don't do them justice.

I would agree with you on the swingarm weld but the squint looks fine to me.

I can't believe those stock exhausts pass noise tests! :)

Dougie

weeian
10.05.2007, 04:01 PM
very nice pete !

/ian

Paul748
14.05.2007, 06:51 AM
Nice...