PDA

View Full Version : Going from Ayrshire to Knockhill this Sunday

borderduc
25.06.2007, 08:50 PM
Since Drew, me and Dave G are all going to Knockhill can we agree on a meet-up place and time for Sunday morning ?.

Drew, you're coming from Monckton
I'm starting at Kilwinning
Dave G is starting from W Kilbride

Where would be the best place to meet up, guys ?. I'm not sure what the best route is - via Dalry/M8 or KIlmarnock/M77 ? - but you local chappies will know better than me.

Timing-wise, should we try to get there in time to get parked up before the superbikes warm-up at 9.30 ?.

If any of the Glesga guys want to meet up on the way then let us know.

dseered
25.06.2007, 09:09 PM
See you there DB, my second ever trip over the border :) will be in the DG area, not sure if you guys are ?

borderduc
25.06.2007, 10:36 PM
We'll be at the DG area - best seat in the house for the show, so we'll see you there. Hope you managed to get a hotel OK.

Dave G
26.06.2007, 08:41 AM
I'll need to pick up a mate on the way,he's at Lugton on the A736,so its on the way really,we'd join the M77 at J3.
The other one will (hopefully) stay at my house so will come with me from the start.
Apart from this,I dont mind where we meet.
The A77 wont be the quickest way for us DB but it might be for Drew if he's starting at Monkton,more than welcome to join us though Drew,the A736 is fairly fast.

While I've every intention of going on the bike, if it looks like persistant rain on the day then we may still opt to go by car....despite the debacle last year with the parking arrangements.:rolleyes:

drewV2
26.06.2007, 11:14 AM
I dont mind the meeting venue, anywhere suits. The 736 is fine for me just need a time and location to meet. I agree that we should try and be there early, I was late on the road two years ago and traffic was a nightmare, even on the bike, (even worse coming back took me nearly 3 hours, roadworks etc probably the worst journey ive ever had on a bike) lots of traffic cops so no chance to make up time. Forecast aint great ( sunshine and showers ) but could change. Just let me know waht suits the rest of you

borderduc
26.06.2007, 11:33 AM
How about meeting at Lugton ?. Would 8 am be time enough to get there for superbikes warm-up ?. We can make it 7.30 if you guys prefer - better to be early in case of hold-ups, and we 'll maybe get our brekkies at the DG stand.

Talking of going by car if the weather is wet, Dave, I see from the Knockhill website that there is no park and ride this year (unless I've read it wrongly) so if that is the case we'd better be really early to avoid the traffic jams.

My mobile no. is 07957 498240.

Looking forward to this !:cool:

drewV2
26.06.2007, 11:39 AM
DB,
7:30 would suit me fine I dont mind how early we get there. Lugton it is, just confirm the time. Havent had the 916 out since the NW200 (had a long weekend in Eire since then with the wife on the VFR soaked to the skin for two days and 300 miles but two glorious days of sunshine as well and plenty of Guiness) so looking forward to this as well

Dave G
26.06.2007, 11:56 AM
7.30 at Lugton then:D
The chap were picking up actually lives at the McClarens nursery site a mile beyond lugton,We can meet in Lugton then I'll just pull into his gate entrance and wait,he'll be expecting us.

Kerry mentioned entering the circuit at the old hairpin entrance,anyone know how to get in that way? as I'll be on good form just to reach any entrance;)

drewV2
26.06.2007, 12:25 PM
Just go in the main entrance as usual then keep to the right (dont follow the instructions for the carparks to the left) which will take you down past the hairpin and then round to the left to the DG stand

dseered
26.06.2007, 02:27 PM
We'll be at the DG area - best seat in the house for the show, so we'll see you there. Hope you managed to get a hotel OK.

Oh shiiiiiteeeee, Claire txted this aft and said she had booked a hotel, just looked at the link she gave me, have not dared to look at the tarif yet but as it says 'voted Scotland's most stylish hotel' I think I better have a few beers before I look !

http://www.dakotaforthbridge.co.uk/

TonyV
26.06.2007, 03:12 PM
Oh shiiiiiteeeee, Claire txted this aft and said she had booked a hotel, just looked at the link she gave me, have not dared to look at the tarif yet but as it says 'voted Scotland's most stylish hotel' I think I better have a few beers before I look !

Looks a bit too smart for a meccanica clad biker. :p
Might join you there, we're also going up on Saturday afternoon.
Kerrie at DG recommended getting to Knockhill by 7 -7:30 latest by car
which would be a bit of a red eye if we setoff on Sunday morning

dseered
26.06.2007, 05:49 PM
Looks a bit too smart for a meccanica clad biker. :p
Might join you there, we're also going up on Saturday afternoon.
Kerrie at DG recommended getting to Knockhill by 7 -7:30 latest by car
which would be a bit of a red eye if we setoff on Sunday morning

Ahhh, pleasently surprised at the price - we are booked in the restaurant at 6.45 for dinner then :beer: :thumbs:

I will be the one with the clogs and Claire looking embarresed at the state of ineibriation of me :)

Gizmo
26.06.2007, 07:03 PM
Just go in the main entrance as usual then keep to the right (dont follow the instructions for the carparks to the left) which will take you down past the hairpin and then round to the left to the DG stand

does that apply for cars as well? given the time we'll need to set off i can't see us being on bikes.

drewV2
27.06.2007, 09:04 AM
does that apply for cars as well? given the time we'll need to set off i can't see us being on bikes.

Yes should apply to cars as well as parking is available up behind where DG will be situated

Dave G
27.06.2007, 10:57 AM
You sure about that Drew?
Last year you needed a specific pass to get a car into the circuit,if you didn't have it you were routed a few miles away with no options.:mad: We then had to decide what to take out of the car and carry on an old bus:mad: and had to leave a lot of our provisions and stuff for the kids behind.
I was absolutely raging about it and haven't forgotten over a year later:mad:

drewV2
27.06.2007, 12:14 PM
according to the Knockhill website on Monday, there will be no park and ride facilities this year ( car parks miles away then the old bus you refer to ) and all parking will be at the circuit (nightmare congestion on the roads approaching Knockhill) Unless they have ammended the position since. Check their website just in case

jonny ducati
27.06.2007, 08:24 PM

Nice hotel mate,just been built.
5 mins along the road from me,
jonny

dseered
27.06.2007, 09:04 PM
You sure about that Drew?
Last year you needed a specific pass to get a car into the circuit,if you didn't have it you were routed a few miles away with no options.:mad: We then had to decide what to take out of the car and carry on an old bus:mad: and had to leave a lot of our provisions and stuff for the kids behind.
I was absolutely raging about it and haven't forgotten over a year later:mad:

Thanks Dave, if that is the case Martin had better be getting me a car pass in the post fast as I will not be a happy boy if after paying 140 for 2 passes I have to walk miles.

eonan
27.06.2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks Dave, if that is the case Martin had better be getting me a car pass in the post fast as I will not be a happy boy if after paying 140 for 2 passes I have to walk miles.

Worth checking out with Martin, but I'm pretty sure its changed this year. Last year it was clear on the Knockhill web site that you had to buy car parking passes. This year there isn't even an option, it just says "New for '07 - All cars and bikes will be parked at Knockhill" at the bottom of the ticket booking page.

Like I say though, definately worth checking out just in case.

dseered
27.06.2007, 09:58 PM
Worth checking out with Martin, but I'm pretty sure its changed this year. Last year it was clear on the Knockhill web site that you had to buy car parking passes. This year there isn't even an option, it just says "New for '07 - All cars and bikes will be parked at Knockhill" at the bottom of the ticket booking page.

Like I say though, definately worth checking out just in case.

Have sent MDG a PM, lets just hope a car park pass is included in the 'orange band' for 47 over ticket face I hope so !

drewV2
28.06.2007, 01:11 PM
according to the Knockhill website park and ride is discontinued and all parking at the track is now free

dseered
28.06.2007, 01:15 PM
according to the Knockhill website park and ride is discontinued and all parking at the track is now free

Cool, it was insinuated that parking was miles away, you can't beat a good walk round the track, when park and ride, coupled with 'discontined' was mentioned I had a dummy spitting session :)

gordj65
28.06.2007, 07:55 PM
good news is theres no road works on the forth road bridge this weekend so that should help travelling

Martin Ducati Glasgow
28.06.2007, 08:34 PM
Have sent MDG a PM, lets just hope a car park pass is included in the 'orange band' for 47 over ticket face I hope so !

Alright fella - take it easy, that's the second time you've mentioned the price:eek:. Don't worry, the tickets are well worth it. You're going to wonder why I don't charge far more for these tickets come the end of the day on Sunday. You'll love it, I promise!;)

For information for you and everybody reading this - priority CAR parking is NOT included in the price of the ticket because simply put, there isn't any priority car parking for anyone - PARKING IS NOW FREE!:)

Priority BIKE parking IS included - at the side of our marquee as in the photos in this post.

The old system of 'park and ride' is not in operation anymore. So you are not miles from the circuit at all. You are parking inside the circuit or in the field next door. In fact, right behind our area!

Knockhill have flattened what used to be the moto-cross track and turned it into a car park.

The only problem I can see for everyone is that the rain might mean the parking area is a bit wet and possibly muddy. So bring sturdy shoes that you don't mind getting dirty. (no high heels or brand new white trainers!!!:eek: )

Apart from that, dress for the weather - we will be dry no matter what, as we are inside and undercover but if it gets wet and windy the temperature up there can get a little chilly so bring a decent jacket and / or jumper.
On the other hand if it gets hot like the last two years bring the sun cream!

Excess belongings can be locked away so you don't need to carry them around, so don't worry about that.

Then all you need to bring is your camera - we supply all the food and refreshments for the entire day.

I promise - you'll have a fabulous day out and have the best view in the whole place!

Mart:)

dseered
28.06.2007, 09:48 PM
Alright fella - take it easy, that's the second time you've mentioned the price:eek:. Don't worry, the tickets are well worth it. You're going to wonder why I don't charge far more for these tickets come the end of the day on Sunday. You'll love it, I promise!;)

For information for you and everybody reading this - priority CAR parking is NOT included in the price of the ticket because simply put, there isn't any priority car parking for anyone - PARKING IS NOW FREE!:)

Priority BIKE parking IS included - at the side of our marquee as in the photos in this post.

The old system of 'park and ride' is not in operation anymore. So you are not miles from the circuit at all. You are parking inside the circuit or in the field next door. In fact, right behind our area!

Knockhill have flattened what used to be the moto-cross track and turned it into a car park.

The only problem I can see for everyone is that the rain might mean the parking area is a bit wet and possibly muddy. So bring sturdy shoes that you don't mind getting dirty. (no high heels or brand new white trainers!!!:eek: )

Apart from that, dress for the weather - we will be dry no matter what, as we are inside and undercover but if it gets wet and windy the temperature up there can get a little chilly so bring a decent jacket and / or jumper.
On the other hand if it gets hot like the last two years bring the sun cream!

Excess belongings can be locked away so you don't need to carry them around, so don't worry about that.

Then all you need to bring is your camera - we supply all the food and refreshments for the entire day.

I promise - you'll have a fabulous day out and have the best view in the whole place!

Mart:)

We all know I'm a flighty fecker, sorry Martin I should have known we would be looked after, rain or shine I will have my Assen clogs on :) have a full hearty Scottish breakfast an be on top form - I have no issue with the price as I understand that Knockhill is one of the best rounds in the UK and having only once sampled Ma Martin's biscuits I deem it worthwhile before I even get there.

I had been practicing my 'limp' all day in order not to have to walk to far ;)

See you Sunday dude, Claire is driving so I will be bringing some refreshments !

Mafioso
29.06.2007, 07:02 PM
How about meeting at Lugton ?. Would 8 am be time enough to get there for superbikes warm-up ?. We can make it 7.30 if you guys prefer - better to be early in case of hold-ups, and we 'll maybe get our brekkies at the DG stand.

Talking of going by car if the weather is wet, Dave, I see from the Knockhill website that there is no park and ride this year (unless I've read it wrongly) so if that is the case we'd better be really early to avoid the traffic jams.

My mobile no. is 07957 498240.

Looking forward to this !:cool:

Managed to get sunday off at the end so i'll be going to this one. DB if you are coming via M8 i could meet you somewhere near my house or if you guys go the Glasgae way i might meet you somewhere along the line.If not could meet any of the Edinburgh guys by the forth road Bridge or whatever, be going by bike even if it is raining .:thumbs:

Neepdocker
29.06.2007, 07:20 PM

I have been lead to believe that David Coulthard owns or is a shareholder in the said Hotel.

Enjoy you're stay.

Dave G
29.06.2007, 09:19 PM
Quickest way for us is towards the Kincardine bridge Mafioso,which may be a bit out of your way as you'll pass knockhill to get there:D

Usually the police are out in force with speedtraps around there too....like the bears that wait for the salmon to start swimming upstream.
Looks like the weather on sunday may be a little better than is predicted for tomorrow, hmm,leathers or waterproofs?:cool:
Note to self...remember a sidestand puck!!:D

Mafioso
30.06.2007, 12:18 AM
Quickest way for us is towards the Kincardine bridge Mafioso,which may be a bit out of your way as you'll pass knockhill to get there:D

Usually the police are out in force with speedtraps around there too....like the bears that wait for the salmon to start swimming upstream.
Looks like the weather on sunday may be a little better than is predicted for tomorrow, hmm,leathers or waterproofs?:cool:
Note to self...remember a sidestand puck!!:D

Kincardine bridge will be fine by me Dave as i only live 15 minutes ride from it. I live near Livingston West lothian, (not actually in Edinburgh) about 5 minutes from Edinburgh. M9 is only 5 minutes away from my house,so i've got the choice of M9 or FRB depending on who is coming either way.Anyway i could meet you guys in the first garage right after leaving the m9 on the way to the bridge or in the second one right by the bridge.For me leathers, since summer time is up on us ;) :D

patch7462
30.06.2007, 08:03 AM
I will be leaving Edinburgh just after 0715hrs and be across the FRB by about 0730hrs. anybody wishing to meet up then I can stop off before the bridge or in the long layby the other side.

Post on this thread if you want to meet from the east side of the country.

Dave G
30.06.2007, 09:21 AM
Kincardine bridge will be fine by me Dave as i only live 15 minutes ride from it. I live near Livingston West lothian, (not actually in Edinburgh) about 5 minutes from Edinburgh. M9 is only 5 minutes away from my house,so i've got the choice of M9 or FRB depending on who is coming either way.Anyway i could meet you guys in the first garage right after leaving the m9 on the way to the bridge or in the second one right by the bridge.For me leathers, since summer time is up on us ;) :D

Not being too familiar with these garages,perhaps one of the others could make a call or you can decide which'll be easier.
I reckon about 40/50 minutes to get there from lugton, agree-disagree?

Fergie
30.06.2007, 09:51 AM
The weather is showing 17 deg and heavy showers, but it is Knockhill so anything can and probably will happen! Bring snow shoes!

It promises to be a cracking day. Martins mum always puts on a worthy spread, and even at 70 when you factor in the burger van prices and exclusive seats it is still value for a day at the races.

Last year was splendid. We had Mr H's legendary cool box. It has its own wheels and needs three to carry it. I think last year we had well over 100 bottles and still a few left! The food was relentless and after 11 courses you feel full!

If the weather changes it will be exciting for sure as a few wrong tyre choices could make things tricky at the hairpin! Just hope there are no injuries and we might see the Ducati's triumph!

:D

Mafioso
30.06.2007, 01:54 PM
Not being too familiar with these garages,perhaps one of the others could make a call or you can decide which'll be easier.
I reckon about 40/50 minutes to get there from lugton, agree-disagree?

Right Dave no worries, i could meet you guys at the Bp garage (the first one right after the road works).I take you will be coming by the M80, just watch out where the 30 limits are as there is speed cameras in both of them also other two places to watch out for is, right before you come off the m9 the first bridge, there was a van on it today and at the road works right after the exit

Mafioso
30.06.2007, 02:11 PM
I will be leaving Edinburgh just after 0715hrs and be across the FRB by about 0730hrs. anybody wishing to meet up then I can stop off before the bridge or in the long layby the other side.

Post on this thread if you want to meet from the east side of the country.

All right patch, just wondering if you wanted we could meet at the garage at Newbridge,head up the m9 and meet the others don't know what do you think?

borderduc
30.06.2007, 04:52 PM
Mafioso,

Us lot from Ayrshire would better be going over the Kincardine Bridge and into the circuit from the Saline side - it's more direct and would help to beat the scrum by nipping in the back way. If you're also going via Kincardine Bridge and not the FRB (Forth Road Bottleneck) I suggest we meet in Kincardine 8-8.30 - just after the left turn in the town centre as you head towards Knockhill/Clackmannan there's an old filling station (now closed, I think). If you're going via FRB best if we meet you at the circuit. Feel fre to call me on mobile if you want.

suicidesam
30.06.2007, 05:22 PM
Mafioso,

I suggest we meet in Kincardine 8-8.30 - just after the left turn in the town centre as you head towards Knockhill/Clackmannan there's an old filling station (now closed, I think).

The old garage is now a jet wash/valet bay.. not open early enough to get the bikes washed though :lol2:

Mafioso
30.06.2007, 07:02 PM
Mafioso,

Us lot from Ayrshire would better be going over the Kincardine Bridge and into the circuit from the Saline side - it's more direct and would help to beat the scrum by nipping in the back way. If you're also going via Kincardine Bridge and not the FRB (Forth Road Bottleneck) I suggest we meet in Kincardine 8-8.30 - just after the left turn in the town centre as you head towards Knockhill/Clackmannan there's an old filling station (now closed, I think). If you're going via FRB best if we meet you at the circuit. Feel fre to call me on mobile if you want.

Hi DB i'll be going by the Kincardine Bridge way , give you a bell later on :thumbs:

borderduc
30.06.2007, 08:31 PM
Ok. The plan is...

DaveG is meeting me here in Kilwinning at 7-ish.
We'll meet Drew and the Rocketman at Lugton (the gates to the garden centre/nursery on the Glasgow side of the town) at 7.30 and head via Glasgow and Cumbernauld
We'll pick up Mafioso at 8.30 at the BP garage at the last roundabout before the Kincardine Bridge (where you turn off the Grangemouth-Airth road towards the bridge -there's a restaurant/Travelodge sort of place opposite it). Then up to the track via Saline or Powmill.

Anybody else coming our way and wanting to meet up on the way, feel free, otherwise see you at the track for a cracking day's racing ! :cool: