PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Egypt!!!

ScottyB
26.02.2006, 04:22 PM
Well folks just a quick post from Egypt to let you all know i am missing you like crazy.......NOT.

Finally on the wreck site at last after 2 days in Cairo "trying" to sort out working visas to no avail.

2 nights in the Sheriton Hotel was an experience to say the least, armed guards and metal detectors in the reception area! It is not as relaxing as you think trying to catch a sun tan with some local hovering round the pool with an AK47!

Eventually managed to get offshore by "Aquiring" some visas from a very friendly port master at Suez, driving for 6 hours through the Sinia desert before jumping on a supply boat to take us out to the wreck.

Facilities onboard the recovery vessel are fine, good food not that i need fattening up any more, comms are crap, local politics and paper trail are the worst i have ever seen!

I am unsure what the arabic for Manyana is but they make the Spanish look like work o' holics.

I have taken some photos and will post them when i get home. 1 in particular is a scream, for those who like films and can remember trainspotting, i have found a toilet 5 x worse than the 1 in the film!!!

Speak soon or should i say "Salam"

Regards

ScottyB

berto
26.02.2006, 04:26 PM
sootybuttfecker!!

ScottyB
26.02.2006, 04:32 PM
Talking of butt feckers.......

I did not believe it until i saw it with my own eyes, all the arab men walk down the street hand in hand, i sh1t you not.........

I thought it was just Martin and Harry at Ducati Glasgow who openly showed affection to each other in public.........

Scottch
26.02.2006, 04:51 PM
Scotty,

Good to hear you are safe and well mate :thumbs:

After our last conversation I was unsure if you were still out there or on your way home.

Hope everything goes according to plan, keep yer heed doon pal ;)

Cheers!

ScottyB
26.02.2006, 04:58 PM
Nae bother neebs will do. A bit of a shakey start but we are here now.

Just waiting for the nod to kick off the recovery. ROV and divers have been down surveying.

I have seen a few folk even more bloated than you mate!!;)

Scottch
26.02.2006, 05:01 PM
I have seen a few folk even more bloated than you mate!!;)

That's a mirror you've found ya Tullibody tink!

ScottyB
26.02.2006, 05:03 PM
LOL.

Miss you too slim.........:thumbs:

Scottch
26.02.2006, 05:04 PM
Same here Naomi!! :D

posiden
26.02.2006, 07:13 PM
Scotty whats the wreck, how deep is it and is there any treasure ?

ScottyB
27.02.2006, 04:27 AM
Hi Poseidon,

Not a nice salvage i am afraid mate.

It is the "Al Salaam Boccaccio 98" the Egyptian ferry which went down 40 miles off the port of Hurghada.

She was on route from Dubah in Saudi to Safaga in Egypt which should have taken 8 hours with 1318 passengers including 96 crew. As you probably know from the news at the beginning of Feb she never made it.

Usuall Sky news rumour mill put it down to bow door failure initially but early indications show it may have been fire related?

We are just standing by on site waiting for the green light doing all our checks and general stuff to keep occupied.

I am only out here short term until the 8th March at the latest as i am due back offshore North Sea on the 10th to my normal full time job. This is a bit of additional work on my 4 weeks off for a yank company, which will hopefully pay for the 998R Martin at Ducati Glasgow is sourcing for me.......
:thumbs: