PDA

View Full Version : zymol concours wax

shane147
12.09.2007, 01:43 PM
doesnt she look brill,ready now to get full of flies again!.

Scottch
12.09.2007, 01:51 PM
Never use anything but Zymol

foxy
12.09.2007, 02:34 PM
errmmm .... what's Zymol? Sounds like something you shoudl buy in the chemist when no-one's looking or listening ;)

Seriously though - that is one shiny shiny bike :cool:

239desmo
12.09.2007, 02:47 PM
errmmm .... what's Zymol? Sounds like something you shoudl buy in the chemist when no-one's looking or listening ;)

Seriously though - that is one shiny shiny bike :cool:

Had a quick smurf and found the following. Is it really that expensive?
http://www.pistonheads.com/features/zymol.htm

Scottch
12.09.2007, 02:51 PM
http://www.zymol.co.uk/

Expensive, but the results are damned good

foxy
12.09.2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Stuart.
lol - that's a good right-up, however I think I'll stick to the cheapie stuff for the moment. The monnie would keel over and faint if I attacked it with Zymol and not Fairy Liquid ;) :D

shane147
12.09.2007, 04:03 PM
Had a quick smurf and found the following. Is it really that expensive?
http://www.pistonheads.com/features/zymol.htm

ebay.com thats the place the usa,half the price but you have to wait a while but more than worth the wait.

239desmo
12.09.2007, 04:36 PM
Apart from the fancy cleaners, I have now found 3 different waxes. Concours, Atlantique and Ital ( for soft Italian paint! ..I kid not! Not content with dodgy electrics we can add paint to the list now!)
So does anyone know if there is a difference in performance or is this a big marketing con?:confused:

Gizmo
12.09.2007, 04:37 PM
Depends what you are looking for, Zymol is OK, but the cleaner wax leaves white deposits and the shine isn't that good. I've tried Megs as well but ended up with Swissvax which is more expensive again but gives a better finish. Car only gets washed with Johnson baby wash, dried carefully and polished. it always looks best after I've cleaned paint work with Swissvax cleaner then applied wax. I tried it on the multi and paintwork looked very nice afterwards but not the same as it does on the car. Fook, I'm a sad git :)

Gizmo
12.09.2007, 04:39 PM
Apart from the fancy cleaners, I have now found 3 different waxes. Concours, Atlantique and Ital ( for soft Italian paint! ..I kid not! Not content with dodgy electrics we can add paint to the list now!)
So does anyone know if there is a difference in performance or is this a big marketing con?:confused:

Different waxes for different types of paint and colours, some cars have water based paint so wax has different properties and darker colours need different waxes.

239desmo
12.09.2007, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=Gizmo;Car only gets washed with Johnson baby wash, dried carefully and polished. [/QUOTE]

Now you tell us!....... There was a selection of Johnson baby products flying around at the Masher campsite last month! We could have rubbed them on the bikes instead of Eddie!;) :D

239desmo
12.09.2007, 04:47 PM
Different waxes for different types of paint and colours, some cars have water based paint so wax has different properties and darker colours need different waxes.

All getting too complicated. I'm with Foxy and back to the Fairy! (Not connected with above post!):)

shane147
12.09.2007, 05:26 PM
Depends what you are looking for, Zymol is OK, but the cleaner wax leaves white deposits and the shine isn't that good. I've tried Megs as well but ended up with Swissvax which is more expensive again but gives a better finish. Car only gets washed with Johnson baby wash, dried carefully and polished. it always looks best after I've cleaned paint work with Swissvax cleaner then applied wax. I tried it on the multi and paintwork looked very nice afterwards but not the same as it does on the car. Fook, I'm a sad git :)

cleaner wax is notthat brill,but if you do the full stage process,ie clay bar then hd cleanse and then wax its the only way to go,after that you could wash the bike in anything and it would gleam,cheers shane.

Gizmo
12.09.2007, 06:00 PM
All getting too complicated. I'm with Foxy and back to the Fairy! (Not connected with above post!):)

Fairy or any other washing up liquid is about the last thing to use Stewart, it contains salts and grit to scrape grease off plates and get glass clean, it'll destroy paint work over time. Baby wash is ph neutral and contains no abrasives but most good car shampoos are similar.

Gizmo
12.09.2007, 06:01 PM
cleaner wax is notthat brill,but if you do the full stage process,ie clay bar then hd cleanse and then wax its the only way to go,after that you could wash the bike in anything and it would gleam,cheers shane.

I've never clay barred plastic panels, always scared I might damage them, tend to use a good cleaner then wax. you are right preparation is the key, i was told an hour a panel of prep on a car before even thinking about applying wax :eek:

shane147
12.09.2007, 07:02 PM
I've never clay barred plastic panels, always scared I might damage them, tend to use a good cleaner then wax. you are right preparation is the key, i was told an hour a panel of prep on a car before even thinking about applying wax :eek:

Continuing on here on clay bars,not gonna bore everyone to death,but a good quality clay bar,ie ultra soft with detailing spray will not scratch any surface just keep it wet,try it on an old panel really horrible old panel on say and old car thats been stood,watch the muck fall of the car and then rub with the back of your hand on the panel,then you will be surprised,its a long way round but the best result in the end,i should no its my living,try it.

dseered
12.09.2007, 07:47 PM
Continuing on here on clay bars,not gonna bore everyone to death,but a good quality clay bar,ie ultra soft with detailing spray will not scratch any surface just keep it wet,try it on an old panel really horrible old panel on say and old car thats been stood,watch the muck fall of the car and then rub with the back of your hand on the panel,then you will be surprised,its a long way round but the best result in the end,i should no its my living,try it.

Gizmo - practice on all the plastic panels on my Multi if you fancy ;)

Neepdocker
12.09.2007, 08:23 PM
Alway's use Barry's wax.

Mr Sheene;) :)

Scottch
12.09.2007, 08:36 PM
You've waxed a few helmets in your time eh?

ProjectImola004
12.09.2007, 09:31 PM

...we talked about this recently in another thread. The clay is fine for plastic parts Michael, the bumpers and mirrors on those German sports cars I used to drive are made of plastic and were fine.

As I said in that other thread, it's brilliant stuff and pound for pound it is very reasonable compared to 'off the shelf' waxes simply coz it lasts so long. I've used only 1 and a half pots of 'Carbon' since 2001 - and that's on 4 concours winning Porkies, a Merc and the Imola!!!! (alot more HD-Cleanse though)

Neepdocker
12.09.2007, 09:39 PM
...we talked about this recently in another thread. The clay is fine for plastic parts Michael, the bumpers and mirrors on those German sports cars I used to drive are made of plastic and were fine.

As I said in that other thread, it's brilliant stuff and pound for pound it is very reasonable compared to 'off the shelf' waxes simply coz it lasts so long. I've used only 1 and a half pots of 'Carbon' since 2001 - and that's on 4 concours winning Porkies, a Merc and the Imola!!!! (alot more HD-Cleanse though)

I saw you rubbing a rag "smeared" with baby oil over the Imola.

Or can remember nothing about our night at Applecross?:hug: :o

Spud Raver
12.09.2007, 09:45 PM
Im sure Scott told me about the time he won a car polishing competition...... lads top shelf magazine standard too!

I heard birds were dripping of the bonet it was that shiny! :eek:

shane147
13.09.2007, 02:57 PM
Gizmo - practice on all the plastic panels on my Multi if you fancy ;)

demo for you gizmo if you like no probs,cheers shane