PDA

View Full Version : Multi Termi's torture

PaulV
22.10.2007, 11:17 AM
Since I have had the bike I have always thought it sounded a little muted..... so I got me a nice slip-on after market amplifier!:D

Bit of spare time at the weekend so decided to fit the new exhaust on sunday morning to cheer myself up after the rugby.....

Bad idea. I now have the original end piece and the replacement in my living room. :comp2: :comp2:

It all looked so easy, unbolt the rear lights and number plate hanger, undo the support for the exhaust and slip it off, reverse for fitting.

How many bolts, nuts and brackets?????? :(

Not only that but siezed nuts on the bracket on the top side of the exhaust have caused major grief, one snapped and a slipping bolt on the rear lights is stopping play! I can't get access to the bracket that holds the whole light cluster to the exhaust............:banghead: :banghead:

Why not simplify and design a better system. It would cut costs at production and save my finger nails!:dunno:

Biscuit
22.10.2007, 11:32 AM
Part ex it for a multi with the termis already fitted :thumbs:

HTH

PaulV
22.10.2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your useful input!:rolleyes:

:sarcasm:

I am considering it!;)

Biscuit
22.10.2007, 11:48 AM
well, thats what I'd do, I only bought the new car because the tyres were bald on the old one :D

Spud Raver
22.10.2007, 11:49 AM
Can you get it up to mine and do it in the garage? Nice and warm, coffee, tea, radio, proper tools etc :)

PaulV
22.10.2007, 11:56 AM
Can you get it up to mine and do it in the garage? Nice and warm, coffee, tea, radio, proper tools etc :)

Thanks for the offer. All I need to do is get everything unbolted from the standard exhaust and then bolted onto the new one. It would be p*ss easy if nothing had siezed or there weren't any slipping threads. Both end cans are in the flat, so warm and coffee aren't issues, as for the tools, ain't nothing wrong with my tools!:cool:

Spud Raver
22.10.2007, 12:00 PM
Yer bloody tools are in ma garage!!!!! ;) Taking up valuable space! :D

What are you using? An IKEA cutlery set? ;)

PaulV
22.10.2007, 12:14 PM
Yer bloody tools are in ma garage!!!!! ;) Taking up valuable space! :D

What are you using? An IKEA cutlery set? ;)

The stuff I got with my Meccano set in '77';)

rockjock620
22.10.2007, 07:08 PM
angle grinder, large hammer, cold chisel, dremel and oxy-actylene are all on my starting grid for exhaust-ing jobs like this! :D

Gizmo
22.10.2007, 07:15 PM
the termi kit is a joke, it doesn't come with the 4 bolt plate which you are struggled to get off Paul, that plate is not available as an individual part so you have to get it off the original can. the problem is its held on by anti tamper studs/nuts which shear as you remove them destroying your original can so you can't refit for MOT's or if you ever sell the bike :(

the light bolts shouldn't be so bad, AIR its just bolts threaded into u clips which are easily replaced.

these were easy to get off when i did mine, TBH the job didn't take too long as, other than the 4 bolt plate, everything was straight forward. you'll need to cut a hole in the aluminium foil cover which was easy enough with a dremel, it might take time without one.

Derek
22.10.2007, 08:32 PM
...the problem is its held on by anti tamper studs/nuts which shear as you remove them destroying your original can so you can't refit for MOT's or if you ever sell the bike :(

I've never seen the part in question so I might be talking sh!te but are we talking about studs on the exhaust which sheer off when you try to undo the nut?
A trick I've use many times on rusted on exhaust nuts is use a cut-off disc on a dremel (or an angle grinder if there is access) to take a slice off the side of the nut so that the edge of the threads is just exposed. A tap with a chisel will then free it off and the remains of the nut will practically fall away. This might well work on the anti-tamper nuts too.

Gizmo
22.10.2007, 09:31 PM
I've never seen the part in question so I might be talking sh!te but are we talking about studs on the exhaust which sheer off when you try to undo the nut?
A trick I've use many times on rusted on exhaust nuts is use a cut-off disc on a dremel (or an angle grinder if there is access) to take a slice off the side of the nut so that the edge of the threads is just exposed. A tap with a chisel will then free it off and the remains of the nut will practically fall away. This might well work on the anti-tamper nuts too.

yup, 4 studs each one with an anti tamper feature so that as you remove the nut the stud shears.if you are aware you can take care and maybe get 2 out of the 4 off. if Ducati just supplied the plate with the new termi you wouldn't need to remove them, if Ducati just listed the part as a separate item that might also help.

gordj65
23.10.2007, 07:41 PM
lifes been going too well for you. you need a bit frustration ya fud:D :D

PaulV
26.10.2007, 12:05 PM
Yep is is the plate that was causing probs, also I deffinately have a bolt that looks like the thread is slipping, It's the single bolt above the brake/tail light. I'll work at it over the weekend and just see how I get on.