PDA

View Full Version : First Bike On Scene - Done

alane
10.11.2007, 08:46 PM
FBOS course. One day starting at 9:30 scheduled end 16:30
Took place at 'The Centre', Capitol Centre shopping park, Preston.
Dead easy to get to located just behind Dunelm Mill if you know the area.
With a bit of trepidation I decided the bike was the better option to use on account of the parking facility said parking for approx 5 cars but no problem with parking for bikes. As it happens there was only four others on the course and one instructor - all of 'em in cars so plenty of room for little old me.
After a buffeting drive up the M6 it begins to rain approx 500 yards from my destination so an almost dry start to the day.
My compadres for the day are all around 40~50 and consist of a bike instructor, a traffic cop, a "born again" biker and a guy who puts plenty of miles riding in a group with his mates.
Reasons for being on the course all boil down to just plain wanting to be able to help should the need arise.
Personally, I was one of first on scene when a scooter went down and the extent of my assistance (along with half a dozen others) was to phone for an ambulance - but I couldn't even get that right because when the lady asked me where I was I just didn't have a clue of road names or location, even though I was no more than 3 miles from home. The scooter rider seemed unconcious and after what seemed like about 5 minutes of people just standing round waiting someone threw a blanket over him. I think that was so none of us would be distracted by the flopping around of his foot which seemed no longer to be under the control of his leg owing to the disconnetion of the ankle bone. I digress.

The course Tutor was an ambulance guy with - as you might guess - plenty of experience of the traumas of rta's. But we didn't come along to have a lecture on how bikers are referred to as organ donors, we didn't want to see the various states of rest the bikers came to as a direct result of accidents, we wanted to learn how to cope with being one of the first bikers on scene at an accident. After all, seeing as how many of us still ride round in pairs/groups heaven forbid it might be your mates life you are helping to save.

Down to business, the course consisted of sessions each dealing with the different stages of an accident scene and the resulting trauma.
A major cause of death at bike accident? - asphyxiation from blocked airways in the first five minutes after the initial accident.
Approximate time to have accident? - 1.42 seconds, broken down into the time from initial wheel touching car to the wheel entering the engine to the wheel deforming the car to the rider hitting the top of the car to the rider coming to rest.
Mechanism - the method by which the rider has sustained the trauma and a major factor in the initial assessment of the scene and possible traumas to the rider.
Removing the helmet - the centre had example helmets which we tried on one guy (but none were a 'snug' fit) but I offered to use my own and in doing so it brought home the fact that most modern helmets present their own difficulties when faced with trying to remove them. They are snug, they are tight, they catch your ears, they push your nose (when someone else is removing them whilst keeping your head secured) and basically it's bloody hard.
When to remove helmet.
When not to remove helmet.
when to move the patient.
when not to move the patient.
how to recognise shock.
how to recognise different traumas.
how to perform cpr.
HOW TO CALL FOR AN AMBULANCE.
how to direct a scene.
how to treat a wound.
how not to treat a wound.
how to treat broken limbs.
how to perform cpr.
how to stem blood flow.
when not to stem blood flow.
recognise lung blood from stomach blood.
recognise arterial blood from vein blood.
why a broken femur or pelvic trauma can be life threatening.
how to clear an airway - tilt head back and pull chin forward.
how to clear an airway if you think the patient has a broken neck - for fecks sake don't tilt head back!!!
how to move a patient with suspected spinal injury.
how to snatch a patient in danger.

I went into the course thinking it would be a breeze and really that I could learn from it but "hey, I've been biking for nigh on 30 years so I reckon I know most of it" so bring it on.
I came out of the course humbled but with a wiser head on just in case heaven forbid I am first/second/third on scene and hopefully it would make a difference to the outcome. Maybe it won't, but it wouldn't be for the want of trying.

When I first posted the course details I think there was a subsequent post saying basically "don't do it, you'll be liable if owt goes wrong".
I put that point of view to the tutor and guess what he said "I only hope that guy isn't in an accident and you are all stood round not knowing how to clear his airway whilst he asphyxiates in the first five minutes".
It comes down to duty of care - do what you can within the limit of your ability and it may give the much needed few minutes help to the subsequent attendants.

I passed and expect a certificate in a week or so.
I would recommend this course for anyone (and everyone). It's a day out of your life and about 50 and worth every penny.

Most "entertaining" totally inconsequential unrelated fact of the day - the face of the manequin used in the cpr demo's as manufactured by some company whose name I have forgotten - is taken from the death mask of a beautifully serene unknown lady dragged out of the Seine in the nineteenth century. A friend of the gentleman who was making the manequin said he knew of the perfect face to use and it was a death mask in a museum in Paris (?). I cannot veirfy that as yet, but apparently that's the story which accompanies each manequin sold.

cheers for reading - now what's stopping you going on the course - it might be me you save!

guzzirider
10.11.2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks- inspired me to go on a similar course myself!

alane
13.11.2007, 12:59 PM
Glad to be of service.
Had to laugh though, cos part of the course is how to remove a helmet and it takes two persons. Basically one holds the neck and jaw (supporting the head) whilst the other removes the helmet.
So there was me with my hands around the neck of the volunteer patient when an irresistable urge came over me in a wave and the guy on the ground squeaked "Please...release.....your......grip". Did I mention it was a traffic cop?