PDA

View Full Version : Chicken or egg

Gizmo
08.03.2006, 03:57 PM
Following on from Ray's comments below

Maybe a topic for another thread? what comes first the chicken or the egg, or in this context, the ducati rider or the events/stuff for them to do??

In the Yorks region there are 30 plus DSC members, over the course of any given year maybe I see less than half of them out and about on regional or national DSC stuff.

I'd be interested to know what folks actually do want to do as part of a Ducati community. I know the regular posters will all contribute so would also like to ask those who are happy to read in the background to add their opinions. I'll start it by saying the reason I formed this website was that I felt the larger national clubs can't focus on their regions enough and I thought there were a large number of Ducati owners who weren't involved with clubs because the clubs offered them little in return.

Over to you.....

dseered
08.03.2006, 04:30 PM
I think this site has answered Rays quandry, he maybe only sees about half of the DSC members on the Yorkshire region, however with the formation of DuN perhaps we will also see half of the Scot, Half of the Yorks etc but from 'other' clubs, not just the DSC, we are already seeing DOC and MOC, maybe some Multsrada.nets, and due to the Dealers spreading the word some folk who have never even thought of joining 'a club'

This site is a great introduction to Ducati ownership as there is no pressure to do anything, rides are there if you want them !

We all ride Ducati's, well thats what I want to do ride my bike, I have become diillusioned with the DSC I have no desire to join any of the other 'clubs' I just want to meet like minded people and ride my bike.

That is exactly what this site is and does and what it is going to achieve over the coming months, it is going to set the benchmark for the future, in my opinion.

gordj65
08.03.2006, 04:30 PM
Following on from Ray's comments below

I'd be interested to know what folks actually do want to do as part of a Ducati community. I know the regular posters will all contribute so would also like to ask those who are happy to read in the background to add their opinions. I'll start it by saying the reason I formed this website was that I felt the larger national clubs can't focus on their regions enough and I thought there were a large number of Ducati owners who weren't involved with clubs because the clubs offered them little in return.

Over to you.....
me i use the sight for seeing what others are up to, mildly abusing davie ravie :beer: and being jealous of martin .I rarely venture out for any social events (gordon nae pals me )cause i work a lot and tend to go ride outs myself as and when the mood takes me but then again im probably not your average member .....if its any help i like the sight and how its going so far
cheers
gordon:comp2:

dseered
08.03.2006, 04:32 PM
Also ALOT of people view the boards, just think back to RTL last year, I wasn't expecting half the people that we got, most were folk who had just noted the date down and turned up, fair play I say !

andros
09.03.2006, 08:08 AM
Yep I agree, I think the board is going the right way and for alot of people it will be great for finding out what is going on in our area, also feels it belongs to us a bit more if that makes sense!

weeian
09.03.2006, 03:08 PM
Yep I agree, I think the board is going the right way and for alot of people it will be great for finding out what is going on in our area, also feels it belongs to us a bit more if that makes sense!

ill second that Andros, i agree with you. DuN is Great :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

/ian

Gizmo
09.03.2006, 03:48 PM
Interesting stuff but what kid of events do people want which would encourage them to come along??

I'm usually happy to ride by myself or in a small group but quite like having a purpose so would always choose an event where its just to meet that I can make for lunch or coffee, a bit of chat then go my own way or maybe join a small group heading in the same direction so an organised full days ride isn't one I'd want every week but will do a few times a year. what I'm trying to find is what balance of tis type of event, full day or weekend rides and trackdays people here actually want that way the various clubs might be able to provide events which do attract more numbers or are seen as more reasons to join a club.

Feedbacks the most important bit of this whole site and I'll do what I can to provide the web based stuff everyone asks for but feel the same thing is needed to help Ray and the other club RO's make their club events a success...

SS_al
09.03.2006, 05:19 PM
Interesting stuff but what kid of events do people want which would encourage them to come along??

I'm usually happy to ride by myself or in a small group but quite like having a purpose so would always choose an event where its just to meet that I can make for lunch or coffee, a bit of chat then go my own way or maybe join a small group heading in the same direction so an organised full days ride isn't one I'd want every week but will do a few times a year. what I'm trying to find is what balance of tis type of event, full day or weekend rides and trackdays people here actually want that way the various clubs might be able to provide events which do attract more numbers or are seen as more reasons to join a club.

Feedbacks the most important bit of this whole site and I'll do what I can to provide the web based stuff everyone asks for but feel the same thing is needed to help Ray and the other club RO's make their club events a success...

Mikey,

With regard to the above, I've got plenty experience trying to extract information out of communities. It always difficult to gage what people want and quite often a thankless task that snowballs into something useless. Maybe this issue needs to develop a wee bit into somthing more tangible. As you say, This site (and others) depends on feedback - and to that extend the existance of the clubs.

If RO's want useful information it might be better to put together a short survey which could be issued along with the e-newletter and especially to new members. It probably shouldn't be in a thread as member could miss it, ignore it or mis-interpret it. By doing this clubs should achieve two things:

Identify what members aspirations in a quantifiable way and help the direction of the club.

Make members feel included in the running/ development of the Clubs.

Maybe this is a bit OTT for the likes of DuN - However, as I've experienced with other clubs it should be a necessity.

If you think the above's a load if pointless phish - ignore. If you want do something about it lettuce know, I'll happily help.

m55russ
09.03.2006, 06:09 PM
If we think back to the dawn of DuN I can remember someone saying we don't want to go down the route of a club and that DuN is just a way of folk coming together with a mutural interested.

I was interested to see the other day that the average age of users of this site was 40.3years old. I like many others try and juggle work, home life and try to get a odd run out on my beloved. Family pressures alway come first unless I have pre booked it weeks in advance and even then the odd Christening can bol**+! that.

Following on from Gord I hope in the near future I can post a 'Who fancies a burn tomorrow a.m. to .................' and I hope someone or others may tag along. Like Gord due to mainly running my own business. I do tend to just jump on and ride at the drop of a helmet,DOH!!!!.

I have found this site to be friendly,helpful, technical useful and above all, a chill out zone once I have fed the dog, put the kids to bed, poured the wife a glass of wine :beer: and done the books etc

So far the site for me has acheived my expectations, to all concerned keep up the good work. Keep on doing what you lot are doing, don't start worrying about things. In my experience people tell you when things go or are wrong not when things are right. We can spend too much time worrying about stuff when there is no need to.
Enough waffle I am off to feed the dog!:mad:

Lily
09.03.2006, 06:26 PM
M

When we first came up with DUN it was all about communicating to each other about events. The forum was an afterthought but has really helped get people more involved and I think its building great friendships already.

For me personally I want to be able to chat to friends, meet new friends and above all share the ducati riding.

Obviously I am much more track biased and love racing so track days and racing meets are fun for me. However now I am starting to get on a bit I am thinking of doing more trips and road riding and I can't wait to get up to Scotland/lakes/yorkshire to meet up with more folks.

I think just the general use of the forum/site for people to publicise 'offical' organised meets and then as Russ has said for those random I fancy a ride who wants to come days.

I don't think we should be an offical 'club', there are plenty of those already and we can do without the stress. If we want to do something as a group then those that are doing it pay for it, simple and no politics.

We have a simple code of ethics for the site and I am sure this will continue into our meets and rides and we can all just get along without the need for any hassle.

dseered
09.03.2006, 07:37 PM
Message boards are great for letting folk know whats going on, who will be where and getting those that want to involved, the following shots are from a trackday, yes just a std trackday, lets get a few peeps together and go and say hello, although Lily did come up with the goods as far as Brownies go :D

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6527/p10100043dm.jpg

http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/899/dscatoulton18lg.jpg

http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/9818/p10100204rk.jpg

It was a great day out, no pressure, just like minded people having the craic and saying hello, it was good also to see the amount of attention that the bikes got, especially Simons !

Everyone keep evryone else informed and we are onto a winner, I would have nipped over to Ray's Curry night, I didn't know about it though and no-one can accuse me of not being on-line enough ;) as I said before, this format IS the way forward !

Long may it continue !

Real Mccoy
09.03.2006, 08:42 PM
How did the curry night go Ray, i cant remember seeing the original thread either :dunno: Was it members only :moon: ..

I think all getting together (yorks lancs) lot and chilling somewhere like devils then all moving on to Hawes is a good little run, without taking up the whole day, maybe good for wednesday nights in summer :tea:

rockjock620
09.03.2006, 09:01 PM
The main problem with "clubs" (and I have been in many down the years - football, scuba, canoeing, climbing, MTBing etc) is that they are run by committee. Too many chiefs etc. and seem to lose touch with the member and his/her needs too easily.

I am quite a free thinking individual, but also welcome the company of like minded people to share the common experience. Hence I will get up at six in the morning in Summer (remember that?) do a three hour run and then go to work - self employment helps, but I still would do that years ago when I was in teaching. Smug grin all day. But I also issue an open invite to my "unofficial club" rides every Tuesday evening. Both are good fun, but the frustration involved there with riders coming late, needing fuel instantly, wanting food, pees, fags etc can spoil it if we are not careful. Yet I still do it, and enjoy it - and I suspect many of you do the same sort of mix of riding.

This forum is doing a cracking job of getting on with the task of organising rideouts, socials, trackdays etc. With no pressure on "members", or "the committee" everyone just looks, contributes, turns out (eventually we hope) and rides. I think it's secret will be exactly that - no-one expects, and no-one feels obliged, to have to do anything. Which looks like it means, conversely, that everybody wants to do everything, when they can.

On the subject of the various other Ducati groups, I have strong and single minded views and experiences. I joined one of them. (only ever had the one Duc, since Sep '04). My local ride organiser hardly ever went out, the regional organisers never really organised any general riding for the members. Oh yes, there were trips to WDW, WSB, BSB, the Shows, the Dealers, a trackday, but not riding. As a new member I thought I might have had the hand of friendship extended, the odd invite to attend, etc. Not really. The communication was one way, from me to them.

So I put myself forward to organise the rides, doing first and third Sundays in the month and every Tues evening. I became the rideout organiser. Net total of interest - three, ever! Nobody from the committee ever came out to join in, or just see what we were up to. Ever. So from Ray's deduction, I never saw even a tenth of the folk in my area. My mates on their bikes (the Japs yep) made up virtually all of my riders - often up to eight at a time.

My point here is that "the club" was concerned with itself, not the members. A small group was enjoying what it was doing, and nothing more. I tried, but failed, to see the point in what was going on.

I noticed another club that seemed to be doing what I wanted to do, which was getting out and riding. Having contacted them I did ride with them, enjoying their company. Then I also noticed, from afar, and by hearsay, that they too had some "political" problems.

Some people revel in the comfort of clubs, and I readily acknowledge that they (the clubs) serve a certain need, but it would appear many of us do not have the same needs.

People from both those groups are now appearing on this forum, and things seem to be happening, despite their being no "officials" on DuN. So, do we need the club atmosphere? - I think not, in my experience.

Things like the mountain bike ride are great open house type events. The rides planned already seem like they will be similar, fun and friendly, with the important point that they are being organised by the contributors (read members) for themselves. It remains to be seen how many "ducatistis" will appear in my neck of the woods - but there are many, many of them from what I have gleaned.

So clubs, no; DuN yes; is my vote. I think the "short notice" ride thing has little value - spur of the moment is exactly that, and needs no organising. It's very much a small, local group type event - best done on TXT msg.

Sorry to bang on a bit, but in quick summary, I think it sounds like we have it almost right, see the summer through, collect some stats and opinions at the end and review then. But so far, so good.

Spud Raver
09.03.2006, 11:41 PM
Things are fine as they are. A wee place you can take the mick and arrange a few meets.

BTW eggs came first, how did chickens grow up to be chickens. Thats a silly question! You buy eggs at Sainsburys and such places. You can make chickens from them! ;)

Gizmo
10.03.2006, 12:16 AM
Sorry, maybe I should have explained, I don't really want to change DuN from what it is now into a club it was more from the perspective of the various existing owners clubs to see what they need to do to atract members and, more importantly, keep them.

Its good to know that the social side is liked as its what I think will keep it together here and hopefully between us we'll continue to organise nights out, mountain bike rides and other off Ducati events, if we can do that thre's a bigger chance we'll make the effort to meet up on our bikes :) I'll look into how we can add a contact field for phone numbers for texting and whether there is a system of sending bulk texts to small groups as i think that might be a good option.

I'll get on with organising once a month meet on mid week evening covering a bigger area when i get home at the end of next week.

MartinH
10.03.2006, 12:26 AM
Hi Michael, nothing to do with what you are discussing but I just thought I would let you know I shall by driving what you told me was your favourite road in a few hours! I will be taking my passport if that gives you a clue!?

Gizmo
10.03.2006, 12:33 AM
Hi Michael, nothing to do with what you are discussing but I just thought I would let you know I shall by driving what you told me was your favourite road in a few hours! I will be taking my passport if that gives you a clue!?

Thanks for winding me up Martin ;), I'm about to start another long day here with no chance of being on a bike for at least a week :(

enjoy the trip, I'm jealous :D

MartinH
10.03.2006, 12:40 AM
Just hope there is not too much snow at the top! The ring on Monday and Tuesday and may get a passenger lap in a Lambo!

Ray
21.03.2006, 01:22 PM
Interesting stuff, It really does puzzle me sometimes what people get for their cash clubwise but I can't really see a way of finding out about what I would see as the "invisibles".

Stuff like take up of discounts on stuff, freebies, whether or not the club mag goes straight in the bin etc

It's very easy to see how many turn up for a meet/run but trying to get any feedback from those peeps you never see is very difficult, surveys in my experience are generally met with little or no response, talking to peeps and they tell you what they think you want to hear, hell, if someone thought a rideout was run at a pace that would have yer granny nodding off or Rossi crapping himself (I wish!!) I'd want to know.

Having said all that maybe it's just back to that old Cliche "you can't please all of the people all of the time"

'Spose ultimately it depends of whether overall Club memebrship is static, falling or growing.

Anyone remember HUKRC??

Ray

dseered
21.03.2006, 01:38 PM
Well, all I can say Ray, is that Gizmo and the crew must have hit the nail firmly on the head with this site with regard to what people want, you only have to look at the pictures from the Mad March Mini Mega Meet and consider that nearly half of those Ducati's present on the top of Hartside in freezing conditions had travelled from another country !

OK Scotland, however some had come obscene distances for a brew and a natter, my hat goes off to them, roll on the warm weather !

SS_al
21.03.2006, 04:33 PM
Well, all I can say Ray, is that Gizmo and the crew must have hit the nail firmly on the head with this site with regard to what people want, you only have to look at the pictures from the Mad March Mini Mega Meet and consider that nearly half of those Ducati's present on the top of Hartside in freezing conditions had travelled from another country !

OK Scotland, however some had come obscene distances for a brew and a natter, my hat goes off to them, roll on the warm weather !

Ian 320 miles aint bad - you should try going to Applecross and back in a day just for a spot of lunch - 550 miles!!!!

dseered
21.03.2006, 04:40 PM
I suppose another thing that Ray mentions is the Question of discounts, I am sure we all haggle at shops when we buy, myself I would rather spend my money with the supporters of this site. Ducati Leeds and Ducati Glasgow, they both offer fantastic customer service.

Fantastic customer service, in my opinion is worth a damn site more than 10% discount off a sprocket !!!

I feel we have everything we need right here, its a breath of fresh air !

Scottch
21.03.2006, 06:50 PM
I suppose another thing that Ray mentions is the Question of discounts, I am sure we all haggle at shops when we buy, myself I would rather spend my money with the supporters of this site. Ducati Leeds and Ducati Glasgow, they both offer fantastic customer service.

Fantastic customer service, in my opinion is worth a damn site more than 10% discount off a sprocket !!!

I feel we have everything we need right here, its a breath of fresh air !

Ian - you're absolutely right mate, and I'm sure you're not alone in feeling this way either.

I believe, once you've established your relationship with either of these dealers (certainly from Ducati Glasgow at least) you would already benefit from some sort of informal discounting without any club membership.

For now (for me at least), the only thing missing from DuN is some kind of Factory Affiliation. I'm not sure how this could be achieved either, but I think Mikey had already applied for this.

Cheers!

Gizmo
21.03.2006, 07:57 PM
Interesting stuff, It really does puzzle me sometimes what people get for their cash clubwise but I can't really see a way of finding out about what I would see as the "invisibles".

Stuff like take up of discounts on stuff, freebies, whether or not the club mag goes straight in the bin etc

It's very easy to see how many turn up for a meet/run but trying to get any feedback from those peeps you never see is very difficult, surveys in my experience are generally met with little or no response, talking to peeps and they tell you what they think you want to hear, hell, if someone thought a rideout was run at a pace that would have yer granny nodding off or Rossi crapping himself (I wish!!) I'd want to know.

Having said all that maybe it's just back to that old Cliche "you can't please all of the people all of the time"

'Spose ultimately it depends of whether overall Club memebrship is static, falling or growing.

Anyone remember HUKRC??

Ray

I'd agree Ray, it is impossible to please all the people all the time which is why so many clubs exist, even within clubs there'll always be arguments over what does and doesn't get done and inevitably some members feel thy get nothing back. I'm not sure the stuff like magazines and discounts is so important and as has been said if you are loyal to a good dealer they look after you and personally I don't see a club as a form of buying group who should negotiate on my behalf but I know others want that. maybe its a question for a poll?

I'm now even more convinced that existing clubs have a tough job to survive in their current forms , UKMOC, Multistrada.net etc are all non paying websites which offer fantastic benefits to their users and the reasons for joining the old school clubs reduce each year as they fail to adapt to a changing market place but thats an inherent problem of volunteer based systems. I'd hoped this thread might generate feedback on what people would expect and pay for if they were a club member.

The steps i've taken here i hope help to get people involved, some of it is simple stuff like adding the map, calendars, vbgarage or just posting photos same day all of which I hope make people feel like part of the upnorth community and it amazes me that no other club can do the same. I'd hope ( and as Sunday demonstrated) that by feeling like part of a community people are more tempted to get out and meet up even if it is only for an hour in a cafe. Sunday and Monday generated the most new members in a 2 day period for Upnorth and I'm certain part of that was down to other riders seeing what was going on as per RXS's comments. Maybe the clubs need to focus on how they get that member involvement which can then be converted into well attended rideouts?

Suppose it ain't really important what i think though, I'm interested in what people do want and hopefully this thread can be used to get that feedback.

AndySPS
21.03.2006, 08:15 PM
As a newbie I personally think the site, the people and the atmosphere here are great. Enjoyed the day out on Sunday and looking forward to the Lakes in the future. For me itís the relaxed approach that brings me back to the group/site.

Relax Mike, your doing a great job, let the summer come and I think that the requirements of the group/site will naturally become apparent.

Cheers Andy

(Good to meet you all / apologies to the Glasgow group I had to leave just as you arrived)

rockjock620
21.03.2006, 09:20 PM
Well said, Gizmo, clubs need to look internally to be successful. Listen to the members.

Ray
22.03.2006, 01:32 PM
Meets/rideouts are one activity in the many, as some know on here Ducati only trackdays, meals/meet/greet with races, liability insurance, organised trips abroad, freebies like consumables, race series, technical help, remanufacturing parts, loans of factory tools, manufacturer recogintion, and so on are all part of the mix.

How does this happen in any community without some sort of infrastructure and too a lesser extent finance? Maybe it happens naturally down to the efforts of individuals within that community, maybe not.

Fine when things are just a few like minded individuals getting together in a limited ranges of activities but with growth comes all the attendant baggage, that as we know can cause all sorts of sh1t fights. Sure those taking part in any community buy into its ethos but as a community ages the original reason for being gets lost and all sorts of other crap comes along.

Anyway, enough of this hot air and philosophy time to be out riding. DuN has got off to a very good start.

Ray

Gizmo
22.03.2006, 02:15 PM
Meets/rideouts are one activity in the many, as some know on here Ducati only trackdays, meals/meet/greet with races, liability insurance, organised trips abroad, freebies like consumables, race series, technical help, remanufacturing parts, loans of factory tools, manufacturer recogintion, and so on are all part of the mix.

How does this happen in any community without some sort of infrastructure and too a lesser extent finance? Maybe it happens naturally down to the efforts of individuals within that community, maybe not.

Fine when things are just a few like minded individuals getting together in a limited ranges of activities but with growth comes all the attendant baggage, that as we know can cause all sorts of sh1t fights. Sure those taking part in any community buy into its ethos but as a community ages the original reason for being gets lost and all sorts of other crap comes along.

Anyway, enough of this hot air and philosophy time to be out riding. DuN has got off to a very good start.

Ray

the finance and how one provides some of the things needed is a big problem without membership. So far I've been lucky to be able to make stickers and blag favours for other services but as Ray points out once the initial impetus wanes it gets that bit harder. How we move forward and provide whatever users want is one of the reasons I was interested in the feedback this thread generates. I'd like to make sure upnorth doesn't stagnate and am always looking for new ideas which is why I added the feedback forum, I've always accepted that it will change and maybe thats the problem with some clubs where sections don't accept that change so it causes rifts?

Luckily its winter so I've had time to do all this but once the sun appears ( if it ever does) I know my enthusiasm for site updates and chat here will reduce :)

AndySPS
23.03.2006, 12:42 PM
the finance and how one provides some of the things needed is a big problem without membership. So far I've been lucky to be able to make stickers and blag favours for other services but as Ray points out once the initial impetus wanes it gets that bit harder. How we move forward and provide whatever users want is one of the reasons I was interested in the feedback this thread generates. I'd like to make sure upnorth doesn't stagnate and am always looking for new ideas which is why I added the feedback forum, I've always accepted that it will change and maybe thats the problem with some clubs where sections don't accept that change so it causes rifts?

Luckily its winter so I've had time to do all this but once the sun appears ( if it ever does) I know my enthusiasm for site updates and chat here will reduce :)

Funds are something "we" can help with. May I suggest that everyone donates the equivillent cost of 1 tank of fuel for there bike at the start of the financil year (April). For this site its a bargain.

Re Summer ..........thats fine.......the message boards will probarbly self compensate with extra meets, routes, rides, tech help and adventures from members as people will get out riding.

Anyway check your paypal.:thumbs:

Regards
Andy
Andy

rockjock620
23.03.2006, 01:57 PM
Funds are something "we" can help with. May I suggest that everyone donates the equivillent cost of 1 tank of fuel for there bike at the start of the financil year (April). For this site its a bargain.

Re Summer ..........thats fine.......the message boards will probarbly self compensate with extra meets, routes, rides, tech help and adventures from members as people will get out riding.

Anyway check your paypal.:thumbs:

Regards
Andy
Andy

That would seem eminently fair and I would be more than willing to pay. Michael would have to do the sums but it must help. Maybe a tiny levy of say £2 for every event attended too, paid on the day. Not an onerous sum and would add up over the course of a few months.

Gizmo
23.03.2006, 02:40 PM
I'd rather not get into fees and money, it brings too many problems, accounting, responsibility etc and I don't think its needed and personally, I don't want any of the crap it brings. Upnorth can survive on the donations I'm receiving ( thanks Andy) and help I get from dealers if you want a club structure then there are choices which provide all the benefits Ray describes. i don't think we need to charge for rideouts or events but if people want memorabilia from them then we'll need to look at how that works but i think it'll have to be payment up front and no risk or we'll end up as yet another club. I've got some ideas on this which will be unveiled at RTL. Things like CD's of photos shouldn't be expensive and provided we get SAE's or the dealers help distribute them it'll work just fine.

I'm happy to keep upnorth going as is and will always look at ways of improving it but that's part of what my day time job involves anyway. the internet gives us a lot of freedom to do stuff and its important we utilise what it offers rather than get into complicated committees duplicating existing clubs and expensive projects. Plus I wanna ride my bike not spend weekends in committee meetings :)

if I keep getting the help i am from everyone it'll work just fine but still doesn't solve Ray's quandary of what people want from a club like the DSC and what he needs to do as an RO.....

Screwy
23.03.2006, 06:36 PM
Just stick a donations button at the top of the homepage , I have a simple philosophy when I see one , Do I post regularly on said forum ? Do I find the advice,banter etc etc usefull/enjoyable ? If so I donate or in the case of the DSC and DOC forums I join the club :) Thank god I dont own a Monster and a Multistrada I would be totally skint :D

As for the main question , Theres no easy answer in all honesty . I personaly do not fancy doing a trackday , Group rides don't appeal either. Social gatherings of any kind I tend to avoid (Yes I do hate christmas :p ) That said I will make the effort where possible to make up the numbers , I,m usually the guy wandering round in the background with nothing to say , does'nt mean I,m not enjoying myself though, It just means I'm an ignorant tw*t :D

dseered
23.03.2006, 06:59 PM
Just stick a donations button at the top of the homepage , I have a simple philosophy when I see one , Do I post regularly on said forum ? Do I find the advice,banter etc etc usefull/enjoyable ? If so I donate or in the case of the DSC and DOC forums I join the club :) Thank god I dont own a Monster and a Multistrada I would be totally skint :D

As for the main question , Theres no easy answer in all honesty . I personaly do not fancy doing a trackday , Group rides don't appeal either. Social gatherings of any kind I tend to avoid (Yes I do hate christmas :p ) That said I will make the effort where possible to make up the numbers , I,m usually the guy wandering round in the background with nothing to say , does'nt mean I,m not enjoying myself though, It just means I'm an ignorant tw*t :D

There is one on the homepage, are you going to join us at RTL'06 ??

Gizmo
23.03.2006, 07:14 PM

Hmm, that sounds familiar :) :) i'm not a fan of group rides but enjoy having a purpose to going out riding so don't mind meets.

there is a link on the main site about page, i felt that if someone was enjoying the forums and site they would find it eventually :) i don't want to put it on here as there is no obligation to help and i don't want anyone to think there is.

borderduc
23.03.2006, 11:10 PM
Some good points made here, although mostly coming from guys like me who are already converted to the great concept of DUN. Let things run through this first season and I reckon there will be plenty more commentary on what people like about it. I think the great thing is that people don't need to commit to anything or join in if they don't want to, but they're offered a lot on the menu to choose from. Could even be a selling point for people thinking about buying their first Ducati, who might be encouraged by a welcoming community of Ducatisti on their doorstep without having to part with cash to join in. Buying the Ducati should be a lifetime subscription to a unique biking world.

The factory affiliation is interesting. Those of us who have been to the factory and been welcomed in as part of a big family will know what a unique community you are in as a Ducati owner. Just try rolling up at the gates of the Honda factory and ask to have a look around - wouldn't be quite the same. It would be good therefore if the factory recognised DUN as a valid community of riders in the same way as the formal clubs. Sure, there'd be nobody to take up the annual junket of the Presidents' week but that's for the high and mighty in the national clubs. God help us if we ever got into a squabble about who got to go and who didn't. Ducati would just have to look at this website to see it's real and thrumming along and would surely would link us in.

Full marks to DUN so far and the season's barely started !

Martyn748
25.03.2006, 04:40 PM
I have a bit of a view from the other side, I arrange as many rideouts as I can, I like the short notice rideouts, I even text people from the local branch, paid up members, none members and their friends, it is difficult to get lots out at the same time. I try to organise different things also, to keep people together, nights out, rides then nights out, etc.etc you do get back what you put in. The people on here, Gizmo and DC !! are all doers, a lot of club members just wait for stuff to happen. Clubs need people like the people on here, whether it is an unofficial web community, you have organised more on here than I have seen in a long time, there was no DOC Christmas party I organised one in 2004 in Bolton, got 35 people, booked the lot on a credit card and hoped people turned up, we had Giancarlo Fallappa at the last one I organised Dec. 2005. Whatever I organise I will invite enybody and everybody on this site. There will be another in 2006, I am already organising it, dont know why I do, I just like seeing lots of Ducati bikes and people together, if you need any help dooing, give me a yell.........;)

Martyn748
25.03.2006, 04:58 PM
Couple more points !!!!!

As branch reps, RO's whatever all we can do is arrange things, it is so nice when someone else arranges something and all I have to do is turn up, again people on here do that.

Now then, I was copied in on a letter from a club member which began,

It is with a heavy heart that I again go to the Bristol Classic Bike Show alone, I own an 851 Corse and have been waiting for the club to organise somehing for these rare bikes.

Now the letter came in the post as the person did not own a pc !!! without technology I would look forward to my Up North letter arriving to advise me of a rideout, if I could not make I would of course reply !!!!! Technology has moved, club culture has to move or die. All I want to do is ride it and meet someone who rides one, was out today and met up with another 4, two did not know about Up North, they do now. Lets hope for good weather without which, nobody turns up !!!!:thumbs:

Gizmo
25.03.2006, 05:15 PM
couldn't agree more on the changing ways we communicate Martyn, internet, text, mobile phones can all be used for quick and easy meets, me and Martin H do this all the time. there's a lot of "doers" out there but sometimes its hard to get the message out there which is why i started upnorth, i have the knowledge and skill to build a website and now others like yourself, RJ, BoderDuc, Ray etc can utilise it to try and get folk along. I think most "clubs" miss the importance of the communication bit which is why RO's have a tough job. Using post or a club mag is doomed to failure, costs of post, print and time involved in a society which is used to immediate communication make it so. A lot of people will help if its something they feel comfortable doing but its not important if they don't, we all have other pressures on our time and it means we can't always apply our energy where we'd like :(

Just got back from a 270 mile round trip to meet the yorks bunch, grand day out, good bit of craic and a brew and i headed home, Ray had done the hard bit tempting people to go and quite a few turned out. After last weeks success it was reassuring to see. If everyone involved here has the same attitude as I've seen over the last 2 weeks we are in for a good year and that Xmas do is going to be a big one :)

rockjock620
25.03.2006, 07:32 PM
It seems like we are all on much the same wavelength and the season should ultimately pan out to be good, with lots going on. Even to the extent of the double booking for next week between us here and Ducati Leeds, which I'm sure we can sort out. More is good, generally, so long as they can dovetail together. I know I will do what I can to get our lot involved, me personally too. Saturdays are largely out for me. Hence no show at Squire's today, sounds to have been productive.

rockjock620
27.03.2006, 09:59 AM
I think we should try and make more of an effort to encourage people to consult the calendar and set things off around that. The scrolling reminders should work well if it's importance can be maintained in everybody's mind.