PDA

View Full Version : Spray Tint for screen?

Derek
15.03.2006, 02:41 PM
Last year I managed to crack the rear corner of the screen on my bike. Not as much that most people would notice but it bugs me. I picked up a replacement off eBay for 20 and then realized that the OEM screen on the ST is a light smoke and the one I'd just bought is clear. :doh:
However I've just had a brainwave :idea: You can but spray cans of tint for car rear lights. Do you think this would work sprayed on the inside of the screen to give it a smoked appearance.

weeian
15.03.2006, 03:02 PM
try and do a test run on something else derek, that should give you an idea if it will work or not.

/ian

Derek
15.03.2006, 03:18 PM
try and do a test run on something else derek, that should give you an idea if it will work or not.

/ian
That's a sensible idea Ian, I'll try that. :thumbs: I've got plenty bits of old perspex to play with.

SS_al
15.03.2006, 03:44 PM
That's a sensible idea Ian, I'll try that. :thumbs: I've got plenty bits of old perspex to play with.

If the spray option fails you could try using a tinted adhesive film.

rockjock620
15.03.2006, 04:41 PM
the film may not work too well on a double curve screen though, most are quite thick material I believe.

Spud Raver
15.03.2006, 04:46 PM
Give these guys at Defendall a call, they do tinted windows as well. They'll set you straight.

weeian
15.03.2006, 07:34 PM
let us know how u get on derek.

/ian

Derek
15.03.2006, 07:58 PM
Give these guys at Defendall a call, they do tinted windows as well. They'll set you straight.
I could buy another screen for 50, I just thought this might be a cheap option and I doubt if a film could be applied to the inside of a double curvature.
Anyway, I'll let you all know the outcome. Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Derek
18.03.2006, 03:36 PM
Success. :thumbs:
I went out and bought a can of black tinting spray, it cost me 12 in a local car accessory shop. I gave the screen a good wash with hot water and detergent, then rinsed and dried it. When I started spraying it looked like it was going to be translucent which wouldn't have looked good but as the coating built up it flattened out and became transparent. I sprayed it from about 18" to get an even coating and then left it for 5 minutes intending to give it another coat but it didn't need it. There are a few small specks on it but they are on the inside and not seen and there is one tiny blemish where there must have been a greasy spot so the tint is thinner there but it's barely noticeable and I can live with it.
Chuffed. :) :) :)

SS_al
20.03.2006, 08:32 AM
I went out and bought a can of black tinting spray, it cost me 12 in a local car accessory shop. I gave the screen a good wash with hot water and detergent, then rinsed and dried it. When I started spraying it looked like it was going to be translucent which wouldn't have looked good but as the coating built up it flattened out and became transparent. I sprayed it from about 18" to get an even coating and then left it for 5 minutes intending to give it another coat but it didn't need it. There are a few small specks on it but they are on the inside and not seen and there is one tiny blemish where there must have been a greasy spot so the tint is thinner there but it's barely noticeable and I can live with it.

Nice one Derek - look forward to see the results on the next ride-out:thumbs:

weeian
20.03.2006, 01:37 PM

nice 1 derek, good to hear it worked !

Will be good to see how it looks

/ian

SS_al
20.03.2006, 11:04 PM

Might have to follow in your footsteps derek - I've been waiting ages for a smoked screen to get delivered.....