PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Meet - Lakes/Lancs/N Yorks

Gizmo
22.03.2006, 10:01 PM
Following on from the earlier thread discussing this how about we set a time and place for a regular once a month evening meet?

My suggestion - a Wednesday night, say the 3rd wednesday of the month venue - Whoop Hall Inn near Devils. Should I add it to the calendar??

Edited - 2nd Tuesday of the month, starts 11 April

dseered
22.03.2006, 10:07 PM
Aye, I'll be there, obviously hard for the Scottish contingent, but even if its me and thee we can have a brew and bar meal !

DSC are recruiting for a Lancs and Lakes rep aswell, we will have to invite them along when they have hired !

Gizmo
22.03.2006, 10:09 PM
DSC are recruiting for a Lancs and Lakes rep aswell, we will have to invite them along when they have hired !

that could be interesting I'm the only Lakes member now I think?? I'll invite myself :D :D

dseered
22.03.2006, 10:18 PM
Think there is Adrian and Marion, maybe Posiden, ummmm and you !

Freak
23.03.2006, 10:35 AM
If it was a weekend I'm sure you'd get a better turn out.... just a thought

rockjock620
23.03.2006, 01:53 PM
A vote for Tuesdays please - that's when I have my North Yorks weekly ride out anyway! Could bring along many potential members......

and I'm pedalling every Wednesday.......lung power not horse power.

Ray
23.03.2006, 03:00 PM
Wednesday's seem to be "bike night" in Yorkshire so given a clear run it should be possible to get across to lancs and back without too much running in the dark a few times in summer, might stop me just trundling down to Squires.

Maybe you could lure a few over this side of the country once or twice on a Wednesday night, Squires is a BIG regular wednesday night haunt, but not everyones cup of tea as it were? A good evening/night sees a good few hundred bikes there, be good to get a few more Ducatis there. Quite often see the Ducati Leeds staff/demo bikes there.

There's even some reasonable MTB tracks in the area so maybe the peddlars could call in?? quite possible to be "off road" for a good few miles.

Ray.

Real Mccoy
23.03.2006, 04:48 PM
Theres also the Sun Inn, near Otley :D ....West yorkshire is still "up North" innit ;)

rockjock620
23.03.2006, 04:51 PM
Hate Squires on Wed evenings - too full of everything - people, bikes, idiots, traffic jams, queues. A much better run is up to Leyburn or Helmsley way, even Brid or Scarborough. Bigger choice of food stops, more room to breath, nicer scenery. Sorry, just a personal thing I guess. It's also a bit of a hike for the more westerly members.

rockjock620
23.03.2006, 04:57 PM
Sorry McCoy, just seen your post, yes Sun Inn is a good stop but it doesn't get any sun after about five in the evening, thanks to those effing trees opposite. Anyone got a spare gallon of gas when the weather dries up?

Seriously it does get darker earlier there by about 40 minutes in the summer, then it can get a cool breeze up and/or the midgies get out. Plus the filth get out regularly on Wed nights anyway - they know it as well as we do.

And it's only 10 minutes from my front door so not worth going as a venue for me. Come and join up with our Tuesday rides to see a little more of what's on offer. First on ecoming up soon.

rockjock620
23.03.2006, 04:59 PM
Sorry Gizmo, just actually read your post and notice, belatedly, that you are suggesting monthly. Doh! Yes could take one evening off from pedalling and Whoop Hall would be a good run.

rockjock620
23.03.2006, 05:00 PM
I do seem to be hogging this thread at the moment, sorry! I'm off now.

Gizmo
23.03.2006, 05:13 PM
Either Tuesday or Wednesday is ok with me, maybe better Tuesday if the Wednesday night Squires meet attracts folk from north Yorkshire. Have to say it was more a personal thing picking Devils area, there's very little for those north of there like Kendal/Penrith/Carlisle etc and Devils is not more than about 50 or 60 miles from Lancaster, Leeds, Penrith so fairly central for the middle part of upnorth. West Yorks already has meets for DSC and UKMOC and DOC whereas Cumbria, north yorks and lancs don't :(

MartinH
23.03.2006, 05:31 PM
Anyday suits me, Whoop Hall is ok and only 40 mins or so for me. You could always alternate the venue? One month at Whoop Hall and the next maybe a little further East. I think wherever its held some people are gonna be riding home as its going dark.

posiden
23.03.2006, 06:44 PM
sorry but wednesday nights are when i fall into Wast Water and try to drown novice divers - but dont let that you stop you as i wont get down that much any way - im a member of the DSC as well though (west cumbria branch)

dseered
23.03.2006, 06:57 PM
Wast Water sounds like a ride out plan one night in Summer, Fire the BBQ up Pete and chuck us some fish, while your down there !

Gizmo
23.03.2006, 07:07 PM
Lets make it a Tuesday then, i'll add it to the calendar.....

dseered
23.03.2006, 07:13 PM
I'm easy, yeah that sounds good to me, lets just see what happens !

Ray
24.03.2006, 10:46 AM
West Yorks already has meets for DSC and UKMOC and DOC whereas Cumbria, north yorks and lancs don't :(

DSC West Yorks:confused:

Not aware there's been a carve up of the DSC Yorkshire region. We're a united republic, :thumbs:

Ray.

Gizmo
24.03.2006, 11:03 AM
DSC West Yorks:confused:

Not aware there's been a carve up of the DSC Yorkshire region. We're a united republic, :thumbs:

Ray.

Sorry Ray, it weren't intentional, the reference wasn't just to DSC as some of the other clubs do have split Yorkshire sections cos of the area it encompasses.

rockjock620
24.03.2006, 11:34 AM
There are lots of alternatives within easy reach of us all - Hawes, Leyburn, Skipton, Scotch Corner, Helmsley (?), Richmond, Settle, so we could rotate if we wanted. Could be a right laugh.

Ray
24.03.2006, 11:52 AM
No probs, very keen to make sure that the DSC Yorks region is always seen as one as it were, if there were enough demand AND willing ROs to divvy Yorkshire up I'd be very happy.

This is fifth year for DSC Yorks and there seems to be a good few new members out in addition to some regulars, certainly getting more feedback.

Ray.

Gizmo
24.03.2006, 02:16 PM
No probs, very keen to make sure that the DSC Yorks region is always seen as one as it were, if there were enough demand AND willing ROs to divvy Yorkshire up I'd be very happy.

This is fifth year for DSC Yorks and there seems to be a good few new members out in addition to some regulars, certainly getting more feedback.

Ray.

Hopefully we can help get more people out in all the regions Ray, it would be good to get to a point where it did need more regional organisers. So far this year it seems good, 20 out last Sunday inc a few DSC'ers and if a few of us from north west can make the Squires meet Saturday it might help, lets keep cross promoting events and see what happens. UKMOC have new Yorkshire RO (Lee/NC35) and he's working hard to do stuff as well.

Martyn748
24.03.2006, 07:34 PM
Tuesday sounds good, North Lancs and Cumbria DOC should start to kick off their meetings again and that is on Wednesday.

I will bring some South Lancs. Manchester DOC people up, you are also welcome down here, even though it is quite a trek as the pub is off junction 3 M61, who wants to ride down a motorway. Anyway it is always last Wednesday of the month and always happens.....;)

Gizmo
24.03.2006, 08:27 PM
Tuesday sounds good, North Lancs and Cumbria DOC should start to kick off their meetings again and that is on Wednesday.

I will bring some South Lancs. Manchester DOC people up, you are also welcome down here, even though it is quite a trek as the pub is off junction 3 M61, who wants to ride down a motorway. Anyway it is always last Wednesday of the month and always happens.....;)

I tried to avoid clashes with other meets, its a good location from most of the northern area, never more than about 60 - 70 miles away from the main areas ( except North east :()

I have to say riding m way to a meet really puts me off but I'm spoilt with the roads up here ;)

Martyn748
24.03.2006, 10:41 PM
Devils is a good place and a reet gradely ride from South Lancs. Another good meet would be to watch MotoGP, WSB/BSB somewhere, Fylde would have been ideal, Leeds could be a goer, I really want to get to Glasgee as well. So little time, I am also taking 6 very lucky people to Mugello but that is another tale !!!!

dseered
24.03.2006, 11:45 PM
I did talk to James's mum about maybe getting a venue in summer to hire a big screen and show a couple of Moto GP rounds, outdoor 'drive-in' stylee, one of the long haul rounds and attract peepes in the middle of the night with pic-nics and beers etc.

Bit of a non-starter at the moment as far as she was concerned, If he does OK this season it is something I will persue next year though !

I reckon you could get a bit of a festival atmosphere going, especially if consulted with ES in the riders home town etc !

Martyn748
25.03.2006, 09:37 AM
This sounds like a plan, I was planning to do a coast to coast June/July time, have an idea but not the full mechanics of it. Start Morecamb finish on t'uther coast, out on the town. maybe Whitley Bay guest house then home the day after, another little jaunt we could go from morecambe to other coast via Glasgow and pick people up on the way. mmmmmm I love it when a plan comes together..............;)

Jasper
06.04.2006, 07:44 PM
I'm not up and running yet(bike nearly back together-needs pc111 and dyno on 18th) and my arm sorting,but tuesdays are good.Be nice to vary it from west to east to north.

rockjock620
10.04.2006, 04:32 PM
get out when you can Jasper, join us in Harrogate when you are able. Frankie (Aircooled) is York too and he rides with us a lot.