PDA

View Full Version : Just bought this little Morini for the 2010 Giro

Wassy
12.05.2008, 05:58 PM
1956 175

http://i32.tinypic.com/2qvsbi9.jpg

weeveetwin
12.05.2008, 06:09 PM
That's a beauty. (Older than me, and in better condition!)

239desmo
12.05.2008, 06:26 PM
Lovely!;) :) Super clean!
Tantalising glimpse of a bevel perhaps poking it's nose into the frame.
Darmah maybe?

Wassy
12.05.2008, 06:36 PM
SS !

http://i27.tinypic.com/245h7bo.jpg

And here's his twin brother ( this one runs on 32's )

http://i31.tinypic.com/w6whhj.jpg

239desmo
12.05.2008, 06:46 PM
Hmmm....likey......likey very much (twice!!!);) :D
Can choose if you want to go out on your own or have company!
Like your style!:)
Keep changing my mind if the black/gold or blue/silver is my favourite......right now black/gold!;)

mbg
12.05.2008, 06:57 PM
Beautiful bikes and immaculate, a joy to see. :D

My friend had an SS, it was blue and silver, and we used to take turns to kick start it - with a large scarf wrapped round our leg as it tended to kick back in a rather severe manner!:eek:

I envied her the looks of her bike but she envied me the electric start on my Laverda.:)

Hope you have a great time on the Morini.:D

Wassy
12.05.2008, 07:10 PM
To be honest the bike running the 32's is nicer to ride. The bike has a modified clutch arm which makes it nice and light ( yes really ) it's a South African import with one owner from new.
The other bike's clutch is really heavy. I'm going to make another longer clutch arm and see if it improves.
Personally i prefer the blue / silver bikes but they seem to be at a premium price wise.
Don't ask how I ended up with two but alcohol had a part in it :)
Hope to put some miles on the bikes this year, it seems a shame to keep them locked away.

Wassy
12.05.2008, 07:16 PM
Just out of interest the little Morini was bought on here [link removed] for 1300.
I was looking for a Duke or Parilla but they are silly money.

mbg
12.05.2008, 07:16 PM
You say you prefer the blue/silver, my friend always wanted the black/gold. I had a black/gold Laverda but always fancied an orange one.:confused:

I think your bikes are gorgeous just as they are and I do remember just how heavy the clutch was. Don't think I'd manage it nowadays.(I'm even older than the Morini).:eek: :D ;)

239desmo
12.05.2008, 10:41 PM
Just out of interest the little Morini was bought on here http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/index.htm for 1300.
I was looking for a Duke or Parilla but they are silly money.

The 860GT advertised there looks quite tidy and is probably as cheap a way into a bevel as is possible nowadays unless you are very lucky.
The good news I guess is that as values increase it makes restoration of basket cases worthwhile again and puts more back onto the road.
I was talking to someone at the weekend who has the chance to buy an SS (he thinks) which a friend has had languishing in a shed for years and wondered if it was worthwhile. Answer now is probably yes if it is complete as values have probably doubled in last couple of years.
If you want a real fright have a look at Bonhams results at Stafford in April and in particular the 750SS. I would like one but don't know if I could justify buying one now even if I had the money.
Modified clutch arm is worth it especially if you are doing any town work.
Blue/silver?.........pick up/make tank/seat/fairing etc and paint it and you can chop and change as the mood takes you!:D

239desmo
12.05.2008, 10:51 PM
we used to take turns to kick start it - with a large scarf wrapped round our leg as it tended to kick back in a rather severe manner!:eek:

I now kick the bike over wearing heavy boots. Kicked back on me twice in quick succession before timing was spot on and second time a scarf would have been handy to shove in my mouth to stem the profanities which were flowing!:o
Took 9 months for the foot/ankle to heal!:(
Friend who witnessed this burst out laughing at the time.........a year later he bought a bevel and had the same experience and his foot and ankle turned various shades of blue, black and yellow.......I reciprocated his sympathy by laughing equally loudly.:) That's what mates are for.;)

mbg
12.05.2008, 11:13 PM
I now kick the bike over wearing heavy boots. Kicked back on me twice in quick succession before timing was spot on and second time a scarf would have been handy to shove in my mouth to stem the profanities which were flowing!:o
Took 9 months for the foot/ankle to heal!:(
Friend who witnessed this burst out laughing at the time.........a year later he bought a bevel and had the same experience and his foot and ankle turned various shades of blue, black and yellow.......I reciprocated his sympathy by laughing equally loudly.:) That's what mates are for.;)

These youngsters who have never known the joys of kick starting an SS on a cold winter morning when your running late and have no other means of transport don't know what they're missing! :eek:

Lucky people!:D ;) :D

Wassy
14.05.2008, 03:36 PM
Check out the posts by Mr R on the DSC site.
His party trick was to start his Bevel by hand :eek:

239desmo
14.05.2008, 05:32 PM

Wondering what the compression was like on his bike or was he just a big lad?:eek:

Wassy
14.05.2008, 08:39 PM
I think he was a Ducati mechanic and his train of thought was that a well set up Bevel should take little effort to start.
Me, I'll stick to a hefty kick and a strong boot :)

mbg
14.05.2008, 09:55 PM

The very thought of it is sending pain through my arm.:eek:

What was his other party trick - pulling a lorry with his nasal hair!:D :rolleyes: :D

mbg
08.06.2008, 08:18 PM
I was at the Ayr Classic Bike Show today on the Breast Way Round stand and there it was on the stand next to us, my friend's blue and silver 900ss.:D

I thought I recognised the number and, following a chat with the guy realised that it was indeed the same bike beautifully restored.:D

Made my day. Then it got better - he wants to join the Scottish Ducati Club.:D :D