+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Better Riding Up North : No Pain, All Gain

  1. #1
    Join Date
    18.12.2005
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Ducati models
    MTS1100s, 450RT, MHR900
    Other bikes
    Benelli Tornado 900 Tre
    Posts
    2,347

    Wink Better Riding Up North : No Pain, All Gain

    Arenít biking and sex remarkably similar in many ways ?. In both cases you grab a helmet, get a leg over and ride off into the sunset as fast as you care to go, hoping youíll enjoy a great performance, that what should remain upright remains upright and that itíll not end in tears.!. A bit crude, perhaps, but thereís a serious point to be made that what sets out to be a pleasure can end up in pain. Ouch !. Serious pain, too. Yes, we all have stories to tell about times when the tarmac bit back and it suddenly wasnít fun any more. Trouble is, you can accept this as all part of biking and hope your number doesnít come up on the next run. Or you could do something about it. Just thinkÖ

    You play golf, so you work on your swing.
    You play football, so you practice kickabouts.
    You run marathons, so you put in the mileage each day.
    You swim, so you work on your technique.
    You ride a Ducati on the road, so what ?

    Well, youíve invested a decent amount of cash in this mechanical work of art, so you donít want it bent. And youíre part of this Ducati Up North community, which doesnít want to see you injured or worse when you should be out having fun with us, so this Better Riding Up North forum is where we can exchange ideas on how to improve our riding performance. Riding in groups or riding on our own. Riding in the wet or riding in the dry. How to reach the point of feeling in total control of your machine in any road condition, so you NEVER experience an out of control moment. In other words, no pain, all gain !.

    In the Ducati Up North community we are lucky to have a wealth of experienced and knowledgeable riders who are keen to pass on tips and advice for those who might be fairly new to biking and need a bit more confidence. Nobody needs to be shy about asking for advice about anything about better and safer biking. It could be a lack of confidence in the wet. Maybe you find cornering tricky. Worried about holding the group up because you canít keep up ?. Canít understand why you nearly lost it on that bend ?. Had one of those Volvo moments ?

    This is the place to get it sorted out. As well as an open forum where you can ask ANYTHING you think you need to know to make you a more controlled rider, youíll see mention of key topics likeÖ

    - riding in groups
    - getting in the right frame of mind for riding
    - reading the road
    - where I can go for training courses in advanced riding ?
    - really getting to know your machine
    - how can we practice this but still have FUN ?

    So, as with safe sex, lets practice safe biking so as to avoid any of those unintended painful consequences. Oh, and letís show these Southerners weíre Better Riding Up North !.
    DB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    31.12.2005
    Location
    harrogate
    Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Posts
    6,866
    'sfunny that, it was only this morning as I was driving out to collect some stuff for work that I was thinking on similar lines. Having done no more than a mile from home I had seen: 4x4 reversing out of narrow, blind lane into main stream traffic; two women drivers falling over themselves to let each other go first, holding up everyone else; white van parked (consulting map) obscuring junction signs; car cutting corner at T junction to get a better line (just where a bike would be parked when turning right), there were more in the remainder of the journey, too long a list for here, now.

    My conclusion, thinking if I were to be asked what the single most dangerous hazard to bikes on the road would be - JUNCTIONS. Bends, corners, straights, bridges, road surface all pale into insignificance relative to junctions. The aforementioned "hazards" are all under the rider's direct control - they are benign. Junctions have the interface with other road users and others can screw it up for us.

    So, OBSERVE to PRESERVE at junctions would be my mantra to help others. Always be prepared for the worst and always check the eyes of the opposition directly.
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    31.12.2005
    Location
    harrogate
    Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Posts
    6,866
    Then we get onto groups - Ian, where is that thread you posted the other day? BIKESAFE was it?
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    31.12.2005
    Location
    harrogate
    Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Posts
    6,866
    and why have it gone all blue on me?
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    09.01.2006
    Location
    edinburgh area
    Ducati models
    st2, scrambler classic
    Other bikes
    lambretta Serveta Jet 200.Lambretta li silver special 186, Vespa Px210 Nsu Prima 150
    Posts
    5,417
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock620
    Then we get onto groups - Ian, where is that thread you posted the other day? BIKESAFE was it?
    an easy way to sharpen up your observational skills is to give yourself a running commentary.say out loud exactly what you see as you drive along.it makes you even more aware of whats going on around you .....
    a rare sensible moment from me there
    the meaning of life, its about finding the silver lining in every situation

  6. #6
    Join Date
    16.12.2005
    Location
    The Fife Riviera
    Ducati models
    D16RR, 1299S
    Posts
    8,063
    Quote Originally Posted by gordj65
    an easy way to sharpen up your observational skills is to give yourself a running commentary.say out loud exactly what you see as you drive along.it makes you even more aware of whats going on around you .....
    a rare sensible moment from me there
    You do this on the IAM car course - it's mental when you do it to start off with, but you just say out loud everything that you see.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    18.12.2005
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Ducati models
    MTS1100s, 450RT, MHR900
    Other bikes
    Benelli Tornado 900 Tre
    Posts
    2,347
    I did the advanced riding course with Edinburgh District Advanced Motorcycle Club quite a few years ago. It was the best £40 I ever spent. It covered about 10 weeks of riding with an observer, with a couple of classroom theory sessions too.

    At first I wondered whether it was a waste of time, with lots of theory and plenty of discussion - perhaps just the sort of thing we go biking to escape from - but I stuck with it and towards the end of the course it all started making sense. Going out on group runs with these guys was a lesson in control and smoothness - it was still fun ! - and these guys certainly knew how to "make progress" . None of this racing up to corners, misjudging speed and position, fidgetting to settle the bike and gassing it hard out of the corners. I was truly surprised how quick and smooth these guys were, always looking in control. Forget the notion of fluorescent-belted jessies pussy-footing around on bikes !.

    The other thing I found was that at first the observation seemed like 000s of bits of road information coming at you, which they teach you to assess and deal with. It's a bit frightening in some ways when you force yourself to think of everything that's going on around your bike, but a course like this teaches you to deal with it in a second-nature way - a bit like counter-steering, which you do without thinking too hard about it.

    I'd definitely encourage an IAM course to anyone who's not done one.
    DB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    31.12.2005
    Location
    harrogate
    Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Posts
    6,866
    that's the sort of thing I was meaning - I did the IAM too, it works. It's still blue though!
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    16.12.2005
    Location
    Penrith, Cumbria
    Ducati models
    none
    Other bikes
    none
    Posts
    6,135
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock620
    that's the sort of thing I was meaning - I did the IAM too, it works. It's still blue though!
    First lesson of safe riding Pete, observation...............

    try reading the stickies at the start of the forum

  10. #10
    Join Date
    19.12.2005
    Location
    Forfar, Angus
    Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Posts
    8,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottch
    You do this on the IAM car course - it's mental when you do it to start off with, but you just say out loud everything that you see.
    Yes. I did a police driving course about 20 years ago and had to do commentary driving. I still do it every now and again to keep my attention to what's going on around me up. When I did that course the copper training me remarked that generally motorcyclists were far more aware of what was going on around them than car drivers -not surprising really, it's a skill you need to survive as a biker.
    Why is this thread Sports Classic Blue?? I tried to change it and said "Invalid thread link"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    31.12.2005
    Location
    harrogate
    Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo
    First lesson of safe riding Pete, observation...............

    try reading the stickies at the start of the forum

    you @@@@@@@ - shouldn't you be in Fort Bill?
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    20.03.2006
    Location
    Morpeth, Northumberland
    Ducati models
    Monster S4
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock620
    'sfunny that, it was only this morning as I was driving out to collect some stuff for work that I was thinking on similar lines. Having done no more than a mile from home I had seen: 4x4 reversing out of narrow, blind lane into main stream traffic; two women drivers falling over themselves to let each other go first, holding up everyone else; white van parked (consulting map) obscuring junction signs; car cutting corner at T junction to get a better line (just where a bike would be parked when turning right), there were more in the remainder of the journey, too long a list for here, now.

    My conclusion, thinking if I were to be asked what the single most dangerous hazard to bikes on the road would be - JUNCTIONS. Bends, corners, straights, bridges, road surface all pale into insignificance relative to junctions. The aforementioned "hazards" are all under the rider's direct control - they are benign. Junctions have the interface with other road users and others can screw it up for us.

    So, OBSERVE to PRESERVE at junctions would be my mantra to help others. Always be prepared for the worst and always check the eyes of the opposition directly.
    Your ladies reversing is nothing Pete.
    Try passing a frisky horse with rider - and loose dog - uphill blind bend, lots of gravel and running water on narrow road and a car coming the other way! Oh yes, in the rain.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    03.01.2006
    Location
    Bradford,West Yorkshire
    Ducati models
    851 Monoposto
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimue
    Your ladies reversing is nothing Pete.
    Try passing a frisky horse with rider
    I can safely say that Ducati,s and horses do not mix , Ive come very close to a sound horse whipping on quite a few occasions trying to get past a horse on various Dukes

  14. #14
    Join Date
    31.12.2005
    Location
    harrogate
    Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Posts
    6,866
    I get the horse whipping when I fly past on the mountain bike. It hurts, my it hurts, lovely it hurts - why do I keep doing it?
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    16.12.2005
    Location
    Penrith, Cumbria
    Ducati models
    none
    Other bikes
    none
    Posts
    6,135
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock620
    you @@@@@@@ - shouldn't you be in Fort Bill?
    I am, sat in media tent sheltering from p'ssing rain
    The truth about life - is it found in the beginning, middle or end?

    Interested in Sport Classic's? Clicky here

  16. #16
    Join Date
    27.02.2006
    Location
    here
    Ducati models
    st4s,cbr954rr3,vfr750fv
    Posts
    53
    increase your fitness levels, improve your balance skills, develope muscle groups, get out on a pushbike. you can even have a few beers if you stay off the roads.

    if you can go a couple of hours on a pushbike, it will make any motorbike feel like an armchair!

    this link has a few nice ideas

    http://www.roadracers.co.uk/pace.htm

    The number-one survival skill, after mastering emergency braking, is setting your corner-entrance speed early

    The Pace emphasises intelligent, rational riding techniques that ignore racetrack heroics without sacrificing fun.
    Last edited by ST4s-duc-996; 09.07.2006 at 09:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts