+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recent outages

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)

Default Recent outages

Well, another day... another outage!

I'm sure that some of you will have noticed that DuN has been down more than once in the last few weeks and for fairly lengthy periods of time.

I haven't been changing the site configuration in any way; the problem lies squarely with the hosting company and their infrastructure. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do when it goes down - beyond notifying the hosting company that it IS down.

The problem appears to be that the original company we signed up with (Global Gold) were consumed by a bigger competitor (IOMart group) last year. Since the takeover the server that DuN is hosted on was moved from the original location to IOMarts datacentre and the evidence is leading me to believe it's not all that great.

Ironically, at the time of the server move, one of the selling points was 100% uptime. Now, I'm no statistician, but even I can work out we're not getting that, more like 95% at best in the last month, which is rather poor in this day and age.

What I'm going to do about this is put the hosting company on notice - basically, one more outage like the ones we've had and I'll look for another host. It's a pain in the bum for me to move hosting company, but it appears that like much of the commercial sector in the UK, they operate on inertia selling and the only thing they understand is having the cash taken away from their grubby mitts so it is the only option.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to miloVanMultistrada For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    748S
    Other bikes
    1050 speed Triple, Suzuki GT750, 1968 Tiger 100
    Cheers for the heads up and thanks

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)
    Another outage tonight for 30mins... looks like it's time to find a new hosting company.

Ducati models
    Monster
    What are you going to be looking for in a new host?

Do you need special packages for vBulletin?

Does the forum "need" to be in vBulletin or are there other options ?

Sorry, just curious as the company I'm with have been good for me - but my sites don't get anywhere near the same volume of traffic as DuN.

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)
    Quote Originally Posted by monster_998 View Post
    What are you going to be looking for in a new host?

Do you need special packages for vBulletin?

Does the forum "need" to be in vBulletin or are there other options ?

Sorry, just curious as the company I'm with have been good for me - but my sites don't get anywhere near the same volume of traffic as DuN.
    To migrate the forum from vBulletin to some other forum software now would be difficult. There aren't any special requirements for vBulletin hosting, any LAMP server will be able to do it, it just needs decent bandwidth and a server that can handle the load. Some vBulletin support is nice though, as is the ability to scale up when there is a sudden high load (like Masher booking time!)

I think I've found somewhere after my "contingency" searching last night.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to miloVanMultistrada For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread