+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can anyone recommend an Advanced riding course ???

Ducati models
    748S
    Other bikes
    Banshee Custom Builds

Default Can anyone recommend an Advanced riding course ???

Just got my 748S thanks to this forum, and was looking to arrange an advanced riding course in or around Glasgow to sharpen up the rusty skills.

If you know of anyone, can recommend anyone it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Mac

Ducati models
    08 848, 04 749s
    There is a couple of iam groups in glasgow, i know 1 is in the southside that does runs on a wed night, if thats any help

3. The Following User Says Thank You to colz For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    748S
    Other bikes
    Banshee Custom Builds
    I contacted a couple of guys in IAM, and one kindly offered to take me out on a weekend to put me right on a few things.

However, I am prepared to pay the cost of Advanced riding course with one of the reputable companies. Bikerite etc.

Will have to see what this guy says, as I felt bad as he was doing it for free.

I am not around regularly to undertake a series of meetings. Just want a course or something.

Thanks colz

Ducati models
    Scrambler Classic, ST4
    Other bikes
    XL1200T , Street 750
    Advanced riding with school is usually done by same guys who do the IAM but is a lot pricier. Have you thought about one of the on track days I think the IAM do them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Burns For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    916 RIP, 996 BP
    Try i2i Motorcycle Training Academy who show you why and how a bike balances, turns and stops. Just reviewed in Ride Mag (p75, August 2012 issue). http://www.i2imca.com

I did IAM bike and car training and both are excellent but, as you say, you have to commit to regular weekly ride-outs. Choose you observer to match your riding style.

Ducati models
    748 ducati bp
    Other bikes
    R6 zxr400
    look up your local ROSPA group...well worth it course and an advanced test at the end of your course

Ducati models
    SC1000, 748, HyperS, SCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee4 View Post
    I contacted a couple of guys in IAM, and one kindly offered to take me out on a weekend to put me right on a few things.

However, I am prepared to pay the cost of Advanced riding course with one of the reputable companies. Bikerite etc.

Will have to see what this guy says, as I felt bad as he was doing it for free.

I am not around regularly to undertake a series of meetings. Just want a course or something.

Thanks colz
    Many IAM groups are run by volunteers, you pay only for their fuel, admin fees and the test. This does not mean the training is any less - they are dedicated and highly skilled in observation and have to pass a test to prove they have the appropriate training skills.

Just because you pay for training does not necessarily mean it's better!

R

Ducati models
    Old and older.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarinel View Post
    Just because you pay for training does not necessarily mean it's better!
    Same as sex then?
    Never argue with an idiot..onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Ducati models
    1200 GStrada
    Other bikes
    Besides the 1200 'GStrada', I have an 1150 'GStrada' a 1100 RS in 'Bololgna Blue' and a little RVF 400
    You might get a very good tutor from RoSPA or IAM, and you might not. RoSPA tutors have to pass a test at 'Gold' standard then do an in house course on how to identify faults in a candidates riding and advise how to remedy them. I suspect the IAM is similar. What exactly do you think you have a problem with if you don't mind me asking ?

Ducati models
    748S
    Other bikes
    Banshee Custom Builds
    It's not that I feel that I have a problem. I just know, that I can be a better rider all round utilising experience from people who have more miles under their belt.

You always find experience, and it is very useful to be able to tap into that, to assist you in being safer / smoother / faster / better road positioning / better hazard detection / better accident prevention.
    My main aim in my riding my bike is to have as much fun as I can on the bike, as safe as I can do, within my limits, without riding like a granny.

I would like to have the chance to have any weaknesses identified by a professional (or qualified individual) that I can work on to become better at what I love to do.

+ Reply to Thread