+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from oilman @ Opie Oils - New club discounts

Ducati models
    None

Default Hi from oilman @ Opie Oils - New club discounts

Ducati UpNorth has recently enrolled into the club discount scheme at Opie Oils, so we thought we'd say hello and tell you a bit about us.

Opie Oils are the UK's leading "online" independent oil and lubricants retailer. We can offer you a really extensive range of oils and lubricants from 11 major oil manufacturers at prices much lower than the high street and main dealers. Our brands include, Silkolene, Fuchs, Gulf, Castrol, Motul, Mobil, Millers Oils, Shell, Valvoline, Amsoil and Redline.

We stock oils and fluids that meet pretty much all manufacturers and international specifications and can deliver throughout the UK.

We also sell UFI filters & Mahle
    K&N Filters
    NGK Spark Plugs
    Denso spark plugs (iridium and iridium tough)

If you would like any oil advice or a recommendation for your car or bike please feel free to ask and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

The good news is, now the Club is a member of our club discount scheme you can discounts of at least 10% across our entire range.

To redeem your 10% club discount simply use the following club discount code at the checkout.

DUCATIUN

Once the code is added at the checkout you will then receive your extra 10% club discount. However this discount code cannot be used in conjunction with other offer codes, BUT the code can be used in conjunction with any of our offers on this page HERE that do not require offer codes.

Any questions please ask here or contact us via email at [email protected]

Finally, if there are any products we don't stock and you have difficulty getting hold of elsewhere, let us know and we'll see if we can stock them.

We look forward to being of help!

Cheers
    Guy, Opie Oils
    Use the code DUCATIUN and get 10% Club Discount
    W: www.opieoils.co.uk
    P: 01209 215164 opt 2

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)
    Guy, many thanks for this and welcome to the forum!

Also, thanks to Frank (iconic944ss) who tipped me the wink about the Opie club discount

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco + GP800
    Well worth keeping an eye on the Competitions Opie run on their website!

I won an AGV helmet on there in the past, in a name the bike competition - crackin.

A pint of 10/40 does not sound quite right somehow?

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iconic944ss For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    1098s
    Other bikes
    CBR 1000rr4
    Just been on your website and your considerably cheaper for motul oil (excluding discount) than where I buy from currently.

Will certainly use you in the future.

Ducati models
    S4 Monsta / 900 SS
    It's so tempting to ask if your oil works on a molecular level , but not sure ' I'm worth it ' ~:?
    I have the tools, I have the talent, I can break anything

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Old and older.....
    Had a look at the website and with 10% discount prices are good.

However the old thorny question of delivery charges to postcodes north of Glasgow raises it's head again.

Website makes it clear that these are charges made by the courier. I refuse to buy anything from anyone where this extra charge apples. Cornwall doesn't get charged so why the hell should the other end of the country?
    We are on the mainland and buying from firms where these charges apply simply condones this practice and encourages them to continue the practice.
    With the extra costs incurred it means the oil is no cheaper than my local bike dealer who will order in what I want and when I need it.
    Sorry Oilman......close but no cigar!
    Never argue with an idiot..onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 239desmo For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Multistrada 1200S
    Other bikes
    Triumph Street Scrambler
    Here are shipping charges from a well known spares and accessories company based in Swansea. Note that it is more expensive to send to Inverness than to Ireland(Republic) Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, France.

Shipping Charges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Small Packet Post - low value lightweight items suitable for jiffy bag
    (Including Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands and Islands)
    7-10 Working Day Delivery 2.99

UK Parcel Post (Excluding Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands and Islands)
    7-10 Working Day Delivery 5.50

Other Destinations (Up tp 25kg). We deliver to most destinations worldwide. Please see below carriage
    costs for deliveries up to 25kg. If the country is not listed please email [email protected] for
    confirmation of costs.

Northern Ireland 8.75

Scottish Highlands & Islands 10.50

Ireland(Republic) 10.00

Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, France 10.00

Channel Islands, Isle of Man/Scilly, Luxemburg 12.00

Corsica, Monaco, Germany, 12.50
    Bruidhinn Eadailtis le Blas Albannach

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cateran View Post
    UK Small Packet Post - low value lightweight items suitable for jiffy bag
    (Including Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands and Islands)
    7-10 Working Day Delivery 2.99
    These additional costs for delivery are surely being charged by the delivery company. As you can see in the case of the Royal Mail who aren't charging more for the small packets (they just charge everyone in the UK the higher rate )

The question is, is there a courier / parcel company that doesn't charge more to deliver to the Highlands?

Ducati models
    Old and older.....
    Whilst likes of Opie is simply passing on the charges they incur it does not make this a fair practice.
    Trading Standards and Citizens Advice have been actively involved in this for over a year and a report has been submitted to government to stamp out this abuse.
    Since their involvement many Ebay sellers have changed their stance and likes of Amazon and Royal Mail charge one rate for anywhere on the mainland.
    I have had some dialogue with Oilman on this and one of his points was that if the couriers don't charge "extra" for Grampian & Highlands then the rest of the country is subsiding those areas.
    I don't consider that a valid argument as unless every single mile travelled is charged for every package then someone is subsidising someone in the chain.
    Every product sold in different parts of the country or world has element of "subsidising" somewhere.
    Oilman's local competitors could rightly claim that because they are not buying in same bulk as Opie they are then they are subsidising Oilman's products.
    If people continue to use firms who charge unfairly they are simply condoning the practice and it will continue.
    If the "extra" charges were levied on all London postcodes the practice would stop overnight!

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)
    Quote Originally Posted by 239desmo View Post
    Whilst likes of Opie is simply passing on the charges they incur it does not make this a fair practice.
    Trading Standards and Citizens Advice have been actively involved in this for over a year and a report has been submitted to government to stamp out this abuse.
    If the courier firms are private companies surely it's up to them what they charge? Only if they advertise a single rate for the whole of the UK and then don't supply it) would they be in breach of any rules.

TBH, you can expect the RM to go the same way when they are fully privatised so you should probably enjoy that while you can!

Ducati models
    900SL, 900SS x2
    Other bikes
    A varied bunch..
    Quote Originally Posted by miloVanMultistrada View Post
    you can expect the RM to go the same way when they are fully privatised so you should probably enjoy that while you can!
    Discuss;

http://caledonianmercury.com/2012/04...rative/0031925

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pict For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Would be easier to become independent first and then create a Scottish Mail. Leave the pension liabilities outside the door at Westminster.

No need for it to be Royal either...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miloVanMultistrada For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Old and older.....
    Nothing like a bit of discrimination to get my juices flowing!

In course of sussing out who charged extra and who didn't I found the following.
    Shell Advance Ultra 4T 10-40 4 litres as an example .
    Opie 40.94 ( including 10% discount) PLUS delivery charge.
    Smith & Allan on bay of doom 28.95 with FREE delivery ANYWHERE IN THE UK!
    My local dealer is actually cheaper selling the Classic Oil range than Opie BEFORE I add any delivery charges irrespective of postcodes.

So in answer to the question is there someone who doesn't charge extra for delivery to the North it would appear to be "yes" and secondly given my limited market research it might be worth checking with your local dealer/bike shop before you buy at a distance.

Think I'm turning into Gord at this rate????

Ducati models
    Quote Originally Posted by 239desmo View Post
    Had a look at the website and with 10% discount prices are good.

However the old thorny question of delivery charges to postcodes north of Glasgow raises it's head again.

Website makes it clear that these are charges made by the courier. I refuse to buy anything from anyone where this extra charge apples. Cornwall doesn't get charged so why the hell should the other end of the country?
    We are on the mainland and buying from firms where these charges apply simply condones this practice and encourages them to continue the practice.
    With the extra costs incurred it means the oil is no cheaper than my local bike dealer who will order in what I want and when I need it.
    Sorry Oilman......close but no cigar!
    100% with you on this one, it's a huge bugbear of mine and my wife, (who runs a business and daily mails out three mails sacks of online goods orders), she uses Royal Mail, the cost UK wide is the same.
    Some of her suppliers have in the past changed from RM to couriers which has meant she had to stop using them, the real annoyance is that the packages STILL get delivered to us by RM, why?
    Because the couriers travel as far as Inverness, they then pass on the package for highland delivery which can be someone like AJG or Skye express etc, most often however it's RM, the courier excuse is, they're passing the handover cost to the retailer, the retailer passes it to the customer, in most cases the 'extra cost' is exhorbitant and does not accurately reflect the 'true cost' (as said, my wife deals with RM exclusively and knows of their charges for businesses).
    So, someone, somewhere is ripping off the end user, us, it's not RM, so that leaves the courier or the trader!
    Like 239, I will not use companies that will not use RM on both cost and principal unless I absolutely have no other choice, this is rare.
    DG for example have sent me several goods incl heavy oil, well boxed and packaged, at a very reasonable cost and the truth of the matter is, there is no reason any trader cannot use RM, several, I know, refuse to do so, (presumably they have contracts and deals with their chosen courier?)
    Shame overall as the oil prices are pretty good.

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)

Just a quick thread bump for any members who aren't aware of the 10% discount at Opie Oils.

See the first post in this thread; TLDR: Use the code "DUCATIUN" at the checkout to get 10% off (you can't combine with other discounts).

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miloVanMultistrada For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    SP4, 851 Tric, Mhr, Ncr r
    Other bikes
    Panigale Anniversary, Millie R, Tuono, K1600, Multistrada dvt,
    Got yea, just in time. Thanks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RWG For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Bevel 900SS x 2, 900GTS
    Other bikes
    On One 29er Scandal
    Thanks for the code, just bought 20L of Silkolene Comp 4 20W-50 for 156.60 from Opie Oils.

As an AMSOil fan, I find any extra risk of another rebuild rather scary, however DUN reports on Silkolene are good and I trust Lacey too. I also intend to change oil/filters every 1,000 miles so the oil doesn't have time to degrade (much).

AMSOil are just so bl**dy expensive, they don't do 4 litre containers and don't have any offers that affect me. As I like to bulk buy, they are a PITA however good is their product.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Vacant Possession For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    I've moved this thread and made it a sticky in the Technical section so that it is more accessible. It was buried in the New Members section and very hard to find.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    --
    Other bikes
    1973 Guzzi V7 Sport, 1979 Guzzi T3 Cali, 2015 Triumph Tiger 800
    I always source my oil from Opie. As an added benefit they stock UFI oil filter for Bevel twins and at a much cheaper price than the usual sources.

+ Reply to Thread