+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: dunfermline motorcycles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    27.01.2013
    Location
    lanark
    Ducati models
    916
    Posts
    5

    Default dunfermline motorcycles

    Went back to my home town a few weeks ago and the bike shop in dunfermline has closed, so has county motors and old wullie pitbladdows shop is now new houses.

    I did a bit of digging and it seems wullie passes away with cancer, anybody know when, I saw him last in the early 70s, and was the dunfermline bike shop called another name, I cant remember now, when did it close and any idea why.

    If anybody has any photos please stick them on.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    15.07.2006
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Ducati models
    2000 ST4 1997 ST2 900GTS
    Other bikes
    2001 monster metallic 900ie 1957 650 Triton
    Posts
    1,823
    Hi and welcome to the forum
    I think Willy Pit has been dead about 10 years
    Cambells was in Dunfermline with Peggy working in spares section and she knew her stuff

  3. #3
    Join Date
    27.01.2013
    Location
    lanark
    Ducati models
    916
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cp14bob View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum
    I think Willy Pit has been dead about 10 years
    Cambells was in Dunfermline with Peggy working in spares section and she knew her stuff
    Thanks for that information, I had to stick a bike model in the registration bit to register but I dont own a Ducati. I have a blackbird which I use most of the time, a cb1000 (big one) "not a nice bike to ride" an sp1 another horrible bike to ride, but close to a ducati I guess, and two cb750s from the 70s. Always wanted a ducati but reliability was always a cause for concern for me. However I might add one to my collection and I peruse the adds regularly teasing myself, but I would hate to purchase on looks and find it looked great but with handling issues like the honda sp1.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    13.03.2012
    Location
    Cleckheaton, England
    Ducati models
    '78 Darmah SD
    Other bikes
    XS1100 trike, Klein Attitude,Schwinn Big Yella
    Posts
    500
    Hello, it's good to remember old shops. I am intrigued by your reference to 'handling problems' with an SP1. I rode both SP1 and SP2 when they were knew and they were both fine, once you learned to trust the typically Honda vague front end. Much of that was down to tyres and set-up. The jerky fuelling on the SP1 could be unsettling, especially when leaned over but nowhere near as 'exciting' as early ZX12Rs. Both SP's are very adjustable so, once you've sorted any basic errors like loose bearings or a bent frame a session with someone who knows how to set a bike up to suit you might be a revelation. it may be as simple as the spring being wrong for your weight or a small ride-height change.
    I have to say that I was never a truly fast rider (middle group at a track day) so it might just be that you are exploring areas of the performance envelope that I daren't! Lots of folk I met were taken-in by magazine-speak and imagined that their TL1000S, for example, was a killer, where more 'traditional' riders like myself were perhaps more used to the '70s bikes that were always trying to kill you (when the blind drivers weren't).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    09.10.2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Ducati models
    748s
    Posts
    7
    I have an SP2, finest bike I have ever ridden! I hear a lot from people they are difficult to ride etc. Mine is a 2006, I dont know what the suspension settings are, whether its been setup by someone else, what I can tell you is its rock hard and its doesn't move when I sit on it. I just ride it!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    13.04.2008
    Location
    Falkirk
    Ducati models
    749bp
    Posts
    5,745
    aboard mate...
    you got a round in yet?
    http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/...rs-Virtual-Bar

    Anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin999 View Post
    . Always wanted a ducati but reliability was always a cause for concern for me. However I might add one to my collection and I peruse the adds regularly teasing myself, but I would hate to purchase on looks and find it looked great but with handling issues like the honda sp1.
    Reliability issues are a thing of the distant past....all sorted now.
    And handling issues? With a Ducati? Far from it mate...they handle like a dream!!!!

    go on...you know you want to..
    A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    04.02.2009
    Location
    Allandale
    Ducati models
    998s, 998s mono
    Other bikes
    vfr 800 vtech
    Posts
    3,247
    Excellent, the first post on a ducati forum and saying the honda is better than the duc, tut tut

    Wecolme to the forum, man, plenty of stuff on here for you.. Large Jura for me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    20.05.2009
    Location
    Near Morpeth
    Ducati models
    Monster 1100S
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by molenz View Post
    Excellent, the first post on a ducati forum and saying the honda is better than the duc, tut tut

    Wecolme to the forum, man, plenty of stuff on here for you.. Large Jura for me.
    +1 dissing Ducati in yer post, get yersel away to the SP1 forum..........Next Please!
    King Size Voodoo Traveller.....check it out on facebook dudes

  9. #9
    Join Date
    27.01.2013
    Location
    lanark
    Ducati models
    916
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
    Hello, it's good to remember old shops. I am intrigued by your reference to 'handling problems' with an SP1. I rode both SP1 and SP2 when they were knew and they were both fine, once you learned to trust the typically Honda vague front end. Much of that was down to tyres and set-up. The jerky fuelling on the SP1 could be unsettling, especially when leaned over but nowhere near as 'exciting' as early ZX12Rs. Both SP's are very adjustable so, once you've sorted any basic errors like loose bearings or a bent frame a session with someone who knows how to set a bike up to suit you might be a revelation. it may be as simple as the spring being wrong for your weight or a small ride-height change.
    I have to say that I was never a truly fast rider (middle group at a track day) so it might just be that you are exploring areas of the performance envelope that I daren't! Lots of folk I met were taken-in by magazine-speak and imagined that their TL1000S, for example, was a killer, where more 'traditional' riders like myself were perhaps more used to the '70s bikes that were always trying to kill you (when the blind drivers weren't).
    The sp1 is a strange bike to be honest, uncomfortable, keep slidding forward onto the tank and cant get it around corners with feel, as mentioned vague, the blackbird is everything and more than the sp can provide apart from looks. Difference between an f1 and an aston martin.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    27.01.2013
    Location
    lanark
    Ducati models
    916
    Posts
    5
    Sorry if it seems disrespectful I love ducati bikes just have not got to purchasing one since I got back to riding again two years ago. I bought a naked cb1000, big mistake, bought the blackbird, great bike but not a looker, bought the sp1 as an investment but its shit to ride and the two cb750s are my restoration project, one done and one to go, retired these days.

    Been looking at ducati bikes on and off for the past year but reliability issues keep putting me off, if I could get a decent good looking fast good handling red 1000cc model within my budget I would.

    Point me in the right direction if you dont mind, I would appreciate your advice.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    31.12.2005
    Location
    harrogate
    Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Posts
    6,866
    MartinW - you from around Cleckheaton a long time? Remember Ballantyne Gow's on Tong Street?
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    14.09.2009
    Location
    Angus (Scotland's Birthplace)
    Ducati models
    900SL, 900SS x2
    Other bikes
    A varied bunch..
    Posts
    3,521
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin999 View Post
    Sorry if it seems disrespectful.
    They are just taking the pi55! Welcome aboard.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    27.01.2013
    Location
    lanark
    Ducati models
    916
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    They are just taking the pi55! Welcome aboard.
    I'm a biker skin like a gator.

    Everybody has to own a ducati, just not got to it just yet. A guy a few doors from me has one and aint using it but wont sell it and its a bit small, want a 900 or 1000.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    13.04.2008
    Location
    Falkirk
    Ducati models
    749bp
    Posts
    5,745
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin999 View Post
    reliability issues keep putting me off,.
    BUT IT SHOULDNT........
    therefore the problem seems to be in your heid!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    09.10.2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Ducati models
    748s
    Posts
    7
    Not really dissing Ducati, I have a 748s that I bought from a forum member, lovely bike although currently having the cush drives replaced which had started to M/C the hub.

    Only reason I mentioned the SP2 is its amazing how many bad reviews it gets. I sometimes wonder if people know what they are buying!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    07.09.2010
    Location
    Easter Ross
    Ducati models
    Multistrada 1200S
    Other bikes
    Triumph Street Scrambler
    Posts
    1,245
    Ducatis are brilliant, but some of my best memories are from some of the worst bikes I owned (One was called the Morris Marina of 'bikes!).

    As Lance Arnstrong would say "It's not about the bike" (It's about the drugs you took)
    Bruidhinn Eadailtis le Blas Albannach

  17. #17
    Join Date
    31.12.2005
    Location
    harrogate
    Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin999 View Post
    I'm a biker skin like a gator.

    Everybody has to own a ducati, just not got to it just yet. A guy a few doors from me has one and aint using it but wont sell it and its a bit small, want a 900 or 1000.
    900 what? I have a refurb project on the go.
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

  18. #18
    Join Date
    05.07.2006
    Location
    Way Upnorth
    Ducati models
    Old and older.....
    Posts
    6,679
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
    BUT IT SHOULDNT........
    therefore the problem seems to be in your heid!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The problem is a lot of people SAY they want a Ducati but in truth don't and find excuses not to buy one.
    They have read or heard from a friend of a friend about problems and like many things in life if you keep saying it it may come true one day.
    Comment about parts for a 748S above ( I know it wasn't maybe intended as a put down) are a good example.
    That bike must be about 10 years old give or take and some rubber part is perishing. How many 10 year old cars need rubber parts replacing by then?
    Someone reads this and next thing is the cush drives are a huge problem and fail constantly by the time they tell their mates.
    No-one buys a Ducati because they want a 100% reliable commuting machine to use 365 days a year.
    They buy it because they want one and if they want one they will buy one.
    I just wish more folk who don't buy one would at least be honest with themselves.
    And on that rant has "Graham" bought a bike yet or is he still stuck in the loo?
    Never argue with an idiot..onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 239desmo For This Useful Post:


  20. #19
    Join Date
    20.05.2009
    Location
    Near Morpeth
    Ducati models
    Monster 1100S
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin999 View Post
    Sorry if it seems disrespectful I love ducati bikes just have not got to purchasing one since I got back to riding again two years ago. I bought a naked cb1000, big mistake, bought the blackbird, great bike but not a looker, bought the sp1 as an investment but its shit to ride and the two cb750s are my restoration project, one done and one to go, retired these days.

    Been looking at ducati bikes on and off for the past year but reliability issues keep puttinag me off, if I could get a decent good looking fast good handling red 1000cc model within my budget I would.

    Point me in the right direction if you dont mind, I would appreciate your advice.
    Merlin old chap, was only joking mate!!!!
    Buy a Ducati and your biking world will change......I'm 56 yo and regret not getting into the marque earlier, have been on ducati last 12 years and have not had one breakdown, honest not one!! No electrical probs, nowt!! A 1000cc ducati in red, you are spoilt for choice......what you will get with a ducati is great handling, engine/power delivery, brakes etc and also the camraderie of fellow ducatisti via the Scottish Ducati Club which is very active on your patch.......go on sell a couple of hondas and treat yersel........
    King Size Voodoo Traveller.....check it out on facebook dudes

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceCampbell For This Useful Post:


  22. #20
    Join Date
    09.10.2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Ducati models
    748s
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by 239desmo View Post
    The problem is a lot of people SAY they want a Ducati but in truth don't and find excuses not to buy one.
    They have read or heard from a friend of a friend about problems and like many things in life if you keep saying it it may come true one day.
    Comment about parts for a 748S above ( I know it wasn't maybe intended as a put down) are a good example.
    That bike must be about 10 years old give or take and some rubber part is perishing. How many 10 year old cars need rubber parts replacing by then?
    Someone reads this and next thing is the cush drives are a huge problem and fail constantly by the time they tell their mates.
    No-one buys a Ducati because they want a 100% reliable commuting machine to use 365 days a year.
    They buy it because they want one and if they want one they will buy one.
    I just wish more folk who don't buy one would at least be honest with themselves.
    And on that rant has "Graham" bought a bike yet or is he still stuck in the loo?
    Good point well made, its 12 yrs old!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Motorcycles signals.
    By Trish in forum "Craic"
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03.08.2012, 02:16 PM
  2. 1998 Ducati 748 Biposto For Sale - Dunfermline
    By chickenboy in forum For Sale/Wanted
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22.08.2009, 04:49 PM
  3. Ducati Servicing Dunfermline Fife
    By 851+ in forum I need a?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05.03.2009, 09:11 PM
  4. New Ducati Service Centre in Dunfermline
    By Admin in forum Ducati News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03.11.2008, 07:06 PM
  5. ERS Racing Dunfermline
    By Fergie in forum Ducati Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27.01.2008, 01:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts