+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More clutch woe's

Ducati models
    848 Evo

Default More clutch woe's

So tonight, I left work and walked up to my drenched bike. Did that thing where you try and swipe off the water from the seat but it doesnt make any difference at all. Did the usual prayer to the various engine gods, turned the key and hit the starter. It started.

While it was happily idling away I got the last of my gear all in place and hopped on. Clutch in, dropped it into first and the bike tries to pull away and dies. My first thought was 'f*ck me you just got a Oberon slave, what the sh*t?' Pulled the clutch lever in a few times keeping an eye on the open clutch and sure enough its moving as it always does. I swiftly got the bike back into neutral (its a gift i've developed with months of practice) and started the bike. The clutch sounded fine, going from its obnoxious 'ching-ching-ching' to its dulled variation when the levers pulled. I dropped it into first, this time with some revs and the bike tried to pull away as if I was just on the biting point.

Faced with the thought of pushing the bike into the workshop, having to walk ages in the rain to wait in a dreary bus stop for the over priced bus. I decided to take my chances and aimed the bike for a test lap around the carpark. Which had 3-5 cars tops as everyone had left; its all the OT I have to put in to keep this menace running

So dropped into first and off I go and letting the clutch out it feels like a knackard clutch. It bit suddenly like a switch if that makes sense. Off then straight on. I had to do a few laps before I could stop the bike and changing down was impossible. I could of probably stood on the lever with the clutch pulled in and nothing would of happened!

After the bike starts to warm up it begins to behave as normal. Which is good cause traffic was bad tonight. By the time I got home all seems well.

Anyone experienced something like this?

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    It sounds like there is still some air in the line. The Oberon slave gives a little less lift in return for less effort and is more affected by air in the line. With a bit of rag under it to catch any spillage, try bleeding it at the master cylinder banjo.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    999 Mono/1198S
    Is the push rod a straight swap when putting the Oberon on? Or is a spacer required to allow for the shorter throw?

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    If it's an older bike with a single phase alternator then it needs a spacer. There should be one supplied with the Oberon slave, it's a roller about 8mm long x 8mm dia and goes in the end of the slave.

The older bike has an alternator cover like this with the timing window set back;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	19714d1229533980-wtb-alternator-cover-996-sps-dsc04371.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	9141

Later 3-phase bikes have a cover like this one with the window further out;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternator%20Cover%20Removal%20Tool.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	9142

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    848 Evo
    Cheers for the advice!

Gave the bike a few tilts each way before hand while working the clutch to see if I could any air to reach the highest point in the clutch system.

All is well.

I cant help out on the Oberon question im afraid.

What I can say about the Oberon is it didnt make that much of a difference when it came to taking away the brutal force required to pull the clutch in. I hear they're bullet proof so there is that for a plus over the factory slave.

I hear there is a spring kit for the clutch that takes away more strain which im looking into getting as I get bad pain in my arm after about fifteen minutes of town riding. I used to use two fingers for the clutch on my CBR but now its like grabbing a fist full of ass with every change. That and the general discomfort of the bike are big negatives for the 748. Everything else is great though

Really wish this existed for city riding.

Ducati models
    848 Evo
    It happened again this morning!

Got on the bike this morning after a rain heavy night. Fired it up and when it came time to leave. The bike lurches forward when I dropped it into first.

I believe water is getting into or behind the dry clutch and causing havoc for the first few minutes of operation.

Will look into it.

Ducati models
    748s
    Aye your'e right, it's the water getting into the clutch,i'm assuming you've got an open cover,mine is exactly the same,and is almost unrideable when it happens.I've resorted to a cover at work,just to keep the rain out.

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Have you tried new clutch friction plates?
    We have moved premises to 6 Mossland Drive, Hillington Park, Glasgow G52 4FA. Take Junction 26 off M8 towards Arnold Clark, double back at the roundabout and take first left. Approximately 7 minutes drive from the old store at Great Western Road - We'd love to see you

Ducati models
    848 Evo
    Mystery solved!

Yes it is open, sorry I should of mentioned that.

It sure is exciting when you're coming up to a junction and the bike refuses to change down

My next concern is if its causing any corrosion and what damage it may be causing by riding it when in this state. As its my commuter I may revert back to a closed cover for a few reasons.

First off being the water ingress issue. Second being the noise! That 'ching-ching-ching' noise hurts my ears while standing next to the bike without my helmet. Also the 'mate that doesnt sound healthy, what is that clanking noise?' response when someone who doesnt know what a dry clutch sounds like while hearing it for the first time.

Ducati models
    mk3 900SL. 888 Strada
    Other bikes
    Xt1200z, GSX-R750G Slabside
    Open clutch cover in the Rain could lead to the drive and friction plates sticking together.
    Made the mistake of putting mine away wet and leaving it for a while before using and could not get it to release the clutch plates. Had to strip down the clutch /clean the drive plates and after that all was fine. Best way to avoid it if riding/parking up in the wet is to fit a closed clutch cover or perhaps covert to an alloy clutch drum and drive plates (as the steel ones may be more likely to corrode).
    Ps don't think the open cover will cause damage due to water apart from the sticking plates already mentioned.

Ducati models
    916-SPS
    That happens to my bike when i give it a good wash, or if it has been standing under the heavy rain, the clutch wont work properly for the first few minutes, what i usually do, with the engine on, pull the clutch lever in and out a few times, that helps the clutch get back to normal quicker
    Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946

Ducati models
    Multistrada DS
    Other bikes
    Suzuki and Others
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Preid View Post
    Mystery solved!

Yes it is open, sorry I should of mentioned that.

It sure is exciting when you're coming up to a junction and the bike refuses to change down

My next concern is if its causing any corrosion and what damage it may be causing by riding it when in this state. As its my commuter I may revert back to a closed cover for a few reasons.

First off being the water ingress issue. Second being the noise! That 'ching-ching-ching' noise hurts my ears while standing next to the bike without my helmet. Also the 'mate that doesnt sound healthy, what is that clanking noise?' response when someone who doesnt know what a dry clutch sounds like while hearing it for the first time.

Ducati models
    M900 ('93)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia RSVR, Le Mans II, 650 Single
    Some helpful advice on clutch's from Ducati John at: http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/slave-c...ch-springs.htm

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DrD For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread