+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diavel Neutral Woes!

Ducati models
    Diavel Red Corse Stripe
    Other bikes
    Ducati ST3s ABS. Yamaha MT01. Honda CBF600ABS. Yamaha RD250LC. Yamaha RS100.

Angry Diavel Neutral Woes!

With a total of 180 running-in miles on the clock and finding that Neutral is still impossible.
    Oh yeah, it'll find it with the engine stopped and it'll find a false one between 5th and 6th (which btw makes you look a right c**t during an overtake) but, will it kick into neutral at the traffic lights? Will it feck as like!
    Up-Down-Up-Down, clutch out a bit, up-down-up-down, ah bawz, might as well sit here holding the lever ... Cold/warm no matter.
    Adjusting the lever - no effect. This Diavel is taking the @@@@; I'm getting a scooter!

Not happy.

-LaZ-

Ducati models
    Troy Bayliss 1098 & 900SL
    Other bikes
    Suzuki GS1000S
    I used to find that on the bayliss but after a few false neutrals i got used to it. the bloody green light on the console is crap as it comes on way to late.
    Scott C

Ducati models
    Diavel Red Corse Stripe
    Other bikes
    Ducati ST3s ABS. Yamaha MT01. Honda CBF600ABS. Yamaha RD250LC. Yamaha RS100.
    I could handle a light coming on late, or a slight delay in the lcd indicating 'N' but, mine is like a feckin' marching band: 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 etc etc until traffic lights change or I switch off the friggin' engine, find 'N' and start it again ..

-LaZ-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lazarus For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Troy Bayliss 1098 & 900SL
    Other bikes
    Suzuki GS1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    I could handle a light coming on late, or a slight delay in the lcd indicating 'N' but, mine is like a feckin' marching band: 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 etc etc until traffic lights change or I switch off the friggin' engine, find 'N' and start it again ..

-LaZ-
    That's what i was doing with the bayliss. took ages to get it tapped into neutral . Looked a right plum at the lights until i got it sorted out with a gentle tap of the lever.
    Scott C

Ducati models
    848 Evo
    Not that I've driven a Diavel but I know your pain! You'll be glad to hear it comes with practice. I dont know what the newer Ducati's gearboxes are like but I have to firm with mine or else I'll get a false neutral.

My neutral light on my 748 is pretty accurate. In my months of riding the bike daily its only got it wrong a handful of times. One light I cannot trust though is the low fuel light, mind-of-its-own.

Have a read of this, I got a laugh reading it.

10-things-a-non-Ducati-owner-should-know-before-buying-a-Duke-superbike

Ducati models
    749 stealth,
    Other bikes
    lambretta s1 :150 @ s3 :125: and a francis barnett
    i'll do a swop with one off mine if you want
    feel the pull of the dark side ,,,,,,,,,,,,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambrettaboy For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Numptystrada 1200S (T)
    Doesn't sound right - the Diavel has the same engine as the MTS1200 and I can't recall having any problems getting neutral at a standstill with the engine running when the bike was new.

I did have a few problems when the clutch fluid was old and I was riding in warm temperatures, but it should be OK with 180 miles on the clock.

Ducati models
    M900 project
    Other bikes
    Sprint 1050 ST
    I always try to get it into neutral before I stop... generally easy to get when moving rather than stationary.
    There are only 10 types of people... those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ducati models
    Monster S2R 1000 & M1100S
    My Multi had a problem with the 'gear selector drum'. It would drop out of 2nd when under hard acceleration. Maybe you have something of a similar nature going on in there. It was in the shop for about 4/5 weeks as it was an engine out job.
    All i've ever wanted to do is just ride !!

Ducati models
    Diavel..... nae ST4s :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    mine is like a feckin' marching band: 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 etc etc until traffic lights change or I switch off the friggin' engine, find 'N' and start it again ..

-LaZ-

Its not just yours Laz mine is the same and has been since i got it, you sit there clicl click click then once in a blue moon on comes the green light and you punch the air with delight only to realise the lights have changed and everybody else is moving off again
    I also hate when im pulling away snick it up the gears open throttle and go nowhere as feckin thing has gone into a false neutral
    If im at roadworks and know it will be a long wait i switch off engine put it in neutral and start up again ,not handy but heyho thats life with the quirky Diavel....................it aint called The Devil for nothing ya know .

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    998s, 998s mono
    Other bikes
    vfr 800 vtech
    Good to hear you on the forum again Trish,

i'm no expert but i never fancied the supercouch duc. I'm sure Audi will sort it out now that ducati are a German company, oh sometimes its called market testing

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Difficulty in selecting neutral is nearly always down to clutch drag. i.e. the plates aren't lifting far enough to separate properly when the lever is pulled fully in. The Diavel and the Multi both have hydraulic clutches. I'd suggest bleeding the clutch line to make sure there is no air in it, paying particular attention to the master cylinder banjo. As the highest point of the system that's where any trapped air is likely to end up.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

+ Reply to Thread