The Forum is moving to Facebook on 1st October 2020. Please Read.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MHR 900R 1984 Oil Leak Help!!

Ducati models
    Ducati MHR900R

Default MHR 900R 1984 Oil Leak Help!!

Hi,
    Having finally got my electric start bevel Mike Hailwood rep back on the road and covered some 300 miles on blasts up to North Yorks in the past week there is a gradually worsening leak coming out of a small cut out in the bottom of the left hand clutch / starter cover. I am presuming it is a crankshaft oil seal sitting behind the clutch.

Is this an easy prize out and push fit replacement once the cover and clutch is removed or am I going to be faced with complications.

Is there a comprehensive workshop manual out there for such jobs as the one I have is very generalised and lacks detail of 'how to' and recommended torque settings etc.

Thank for any assistance

Ducati models
    900S2
    Just to clarify - your bike is a dry clutch model? If so it is almost certain to be the large seal behind the clutch.
    Last edited by duccout; 06.09.2015 at 06:20 PM.

Ducati models
    Ducati MHR900R

Default Mhr 900r 1984

Yes dry clutch just wondering what the job will look like behind it and if it is easy to pull out and refit a new seal.
    Is there any truth that running on synthetic wrecks these seals and if so what oil do you guys use in an bevel? a good quality V twin 20/60 mineral multigrade or a straight 40/50?
    Thanks for the reply.

Ducati models
    900S2
    Looking at the parts book. it looks like a straight-forward job, but not owning a dry clutch model I can't comment from first-hand experience. BTW, there is a rubber 'o' ring in the end of the mainshaft at the clutch end, which could allow oil through the pushrod, so maybe changing that would be a good idea.

Running synthetic will not wreck the seals, but asking oil questions risks an explosion of opinions. FWIW, Nigel Lacey recommends a synthetic type of oil for bevels, Silkolene 20/50 Comp 4, and I've been using this for the last few years. Any 15/50 or 20/50 synthetic will be good, but beware if you have been running on a low-detergent oil, because changing to a high detergent oil will free all the muck that will have collected in the sump. Do you know what oil is in yours? There is nothing wrong with monograde 40 or 50 in the right conditions ie hot weather, but it does take longer to reach the valve gear and puts a strain on the electric starter, and in winter is a no-no.

Ducati models
    Ducati MHR900R
    Many thanks for the info. I have ordered a clutch removal ring and will commence surgery later this week with a view to finishing it for the weekend. Well that's the plan anyway.
    I changed the oil when I bought it and ran it a couple of hundred miles before stripping off the bodywork and sorting the carbs out etc and used Rock Oil 20/60 TRM, which according to the spec seemed to suit. Not sure what the previous owner used other than it was a multigrade so probably contained detergent.
    Have read somewhere that fully synthetic oil can ruin seals and mineral is better for withstanding the pounding in a roller bearing V twin.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Ducati models
    Bevel 900SS x 2, 900GTS
    Other bikes
    On One 29er Scandal
    If you have a dry clutch then it is likely you have a late cartridge type full flow oil filter.

The problem with using modern oils for an unmodified early bevel engine is as you pointed out, it will pick up & recirculate all the bad stuff lurking in the sediment.

If you are lucky enough that your engine has a nice cartridge like this...

then your engine filters it all anyway, to all intents and purposes it is filtered like a modern engine so you can use a modern oil. You don't even have to worry about wet clutch compatibility! I would suggest using the best filter you can lay your hands on.

Ducati were recommending Agip Sint 2000 for my 1980 SS (it's in my owners manual) and something more modern would probably work a treat with your engine. One can't go too far wrong following Nigel Lacey's advice - I have on the GTS, I bought 20 litres of Silkolene 20/50 Comp 4 and it is running on its first fill now.

I haven't decided yet on whether to stay with the ultra expensive AMSOil for the SS or move to Silkolene.

Ducati models
    900S2
    The Rock Oil is fine, as Vacant Possession says, you can use any synthetic with good results. If you look at Nigel Lacey's site, there is a section there that details how he came upon Silkolene Comp 4 and why he uses it in his race engines. I figured that if it is good enough for racing then it's good enough for me.

Some modern oils (usually the ultra-thin car ones) have very low ash content, to avoid damaging catalytic converters, but these cause wear on the rocker gear, so they are best avoided.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duccout For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Ducati MHR900R
    What a fabulously prepped engine. Yes mine does have the later cartridge type oil filter although I am told most of the oil circulation by passes it.
    Maybe another myth.
    I have also spotted some 20 60 Shell Advance Racing 4t on e bay for virtually half price so will try some of that as synthetic or not the oil will be changed regularly.
    I will post how I go on with the seal surgery unless it has been talked about before.

Thanks for all the help.

Ducati models
    1984 Mike Hailwood Replic
    Other bikes
    1974 Laverda 1000 3c

Default MHR oil leak at clutch

Hello, I am new to this stuff, so bear with me.
    I have a1984 MHR 900 with the oil seal gone at the clutch. I have removed the oil seal but cannot find a replacement. Iy is 65-85-10 triple lip. Can I use a double lip in its place?
    I am in Canada,so I might have to get one from the UK.
    Cheers

Ducati models
    900S2
    I think that the only course of action here is to try it; you have obviously searched for the seal on line and if it was a Ducati only part then they are going to be pretty rare. One possibility is Ian Gowanloch in Australia, who bought up all of the factory's stock; try a search using 'The Happy Farm' and see if you can find him. Japan is a possibility as a lot of MHRs went there and there are some good parts suppliers there, although language is a problem!

Ducati models
    1984 Mike Hailwood Replic
    Other bikes
    1974 Laverda 1000 3c
    Thanks very much for the info. Tried a double lip but it leaked. Wondering if it was old stock and therefore hard? Tried Ian Gowanloch site but so far no joy. Does anyone over there have any link as to where i might find one.
    Cheers

Ducati models
    900S2
    Have you tried emailing Old Racing Spare Parts in Italy? They are the world's biggest producers of Ducati parts and may have new ones.

Ducati models
    900S2
    You might be in luck! https://www.oldracingspareparts.com/900-1000-mhr/Look at part no: 6X00028 which looks to contain the seal that you require.

Ducati models
    900S2

Ducati models
    81 MHR
    Hi Albert: Where in Canada are you? I'm in Gibsons, BC with my 81 MHR.

Back to Classics (expensive) have the little seal (part 35): https://www.ducaticlassics.com/parts...box-and-clutch and the big one (part 14): https://www.ducaticlassics.com/parts...on-and-starter

Good luck,

Rick

+ Reply to Thread