+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which is worst petrol station for bikers

Ducati models
    848 Dark

Default Which is worst petrol station for bikers

Its about time we had a poll for the worse petrol stations around.

I decided to use the bike today for work, first time this year, but it needed fuel. So I called into Morrison's at Boroughbridge. North Yorks.

I pulled up at pump, tried to fill up after I had put my debit card details into the 'pay at pump' machine. I had ear plugs in, so I didn't hear the woman shouting over the tannoy at me to take my helmet off. By the time a lady at next pump told me, the kiosk woman was getting more and more irate, I was blissfully unaware. For Fecks sake I had already put my card in, paid and it said that max fuel allowed was 99. But woman insisted I take my helmet off before she would authorise the pump to work. The fella on a Multistrada opposite to me was laughing his head off, he said to me 'happens every time mate, must be worst petrol station in the world here'.

That's what got me thinking - unless you know better.

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    cbr600rr
    Morrisons on Gilmerton road Edinburgh, never any bother, don't even have to get off the bike using the pay at pump.

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    BSA 441 VICTOR,Ducati 250 scrambler Triumph 5ta, Tribsa,Montessa Cota, Gilera
    The coop has the same policy, I asked at the local station what was the reason for this the attendant could not answer, I then asked would you ask a lady to remove her Burka only to receive a blank stare.
    Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sam For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    ST3s, 848 Evo Corse SE
    Other bikes
    SV650, Previous Life: Suzi 850G and Katana 1000
    The Shell in Berwick has a sign on the door that says "No Helmets" but the one time I took mine off they told me not to bother as theyu know me (or rather the bikes)

Good thread to start
    In Theory, Practice and Theory are the same. In Practice they are different.

Ducati models
    D16RR, 1299S
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuke View Post
    Its about time we had a poll for the worse petrol stations around.
    Them all, surely ;-)

Ducati models
    I use Morrisons at Boroughbridge all the time, live in Milby, never been told to take my helmet off. Guess it depends on who's on the till....
    aint never not made it yet.....

Ducati models
    998s, 998s mono
    Other bikes
    vfr 800 vtech
    Right you lot, cut the crap. The reason behind the helmet sketch is nothing to do with us bikers going out for a nice time, so point yer fingers at the N.I. Terrorists who caused this sketch, correct ? , forget tills , staff etc. Go to the root cause, and wake up. Done

Ducati models
    998s, 998s mono
    Other bikes
    vfr 800 vtech
    Right you lot, cut the crap. The reason behind the helmet sketch is nothing to do with us bikers going out for a nice time, so point yer fingers at the N.I. Terrorists who caused this sketch, correct ? , forget tills , staff etc. Go to the root cause, and wake up. Done

Ducati models
    749bp
    Quote Originally Posted by molenz View Post
    Its nothing to do with the NI terrorists...its all about the fear of fuel theft and not being able to identify you.

Petrol stations have 2 fears and both of them result in their strange policies.

Fear 1- Motorcyclists might steal fuel and if wearing helmet cant be identified (face) as bike may also be stolen.
    Policy= make all motorcyclists remove helmets.
    Fact- most fuel thefts (by far) are done in cars, not bikes. This policy also discriminates against bikers covering their head/face but allows others to do so.

Fear 2- Mobile phones cause fires at petrol stations
    Policy= ban use of phones on forecourt.
    Fact- yet to see any evidence of any fire at a petrol station linked to a mobile phone (despite many scientific experiments trying VERY hard to replicate and cause one). Most likely cause due to drivers wearing electrostatic clothing resulting in a spark when refueling and touching the metal car.

I witnessed discrimination on this scale at a petrol station in edinburgh where the attendant wouldnt let me start fuelling until my passenger in the car stopped talking on their phone and put it away. about 2 meters away from me on the main road next to the petrol station was a bus stop with people sitting smoking cigarettes with a bin attached to a pole with a cigarette extinguishing area and section attached to the pole...but in on the petrol station forecourt side not the public path.
    I challenged the attendant who reeled off a load of safety stuff about how many fires had been caused by mobiles at the recent traingin she had been on...I asked her why they werent in the news etc...she looked a bit stumped....
    A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieT For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Streetfighter 848
    Other bikes
    Cube Acid 29er
    The staff in the petrol stations for 99.9% of them will simply be doing as they have been told and trained to do whilst trying to get as many minimum wage shifts in as possible so don't blame the staff. If you expect them to make an exception for you then is that exception worth you causing them to lose their job on a gross misconduct charge if anything does happen.

Not getting off your bike to refill - i do that all the time, but if i slipped and the bike went over with the top open then the forecourt gets closed while they clean it up worst case scenario i have a hot engine or it sparks and woof - yeah the dog gets it as well.

All of these types of rules are lowest common denominator to 'protect' the masses from the idiots or the one in a million type of accidents - but there are a few billion peope on the planet so one in a million occurrences happen all the time.

These are lifes minor inconveniences
    I'll love you with all the madness in my soul

Ducati models
    916/1098 hybrid
    I don't have an issue removing my helmet for them, I do have an issue when there is no place provided to put it.

You used to be able to put it about waist height on the pump but that space is now filled with those silly triangle advertising boards the last time I raised the issue I was told I should put it on the floor they had no answer when asked if they would put an expensive item of there own on a floor where fuel is regularly spilt and oil is dropped etc.

+ Reply to Thread