+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MHR on ebay

Ducati models
    1989 851SP 1976 450 MK3

Default MHR on ebay

Well, there's one on there...a doer upper, I quite fancy buying it at 10000.
    But. I rang the dealer. He says he hasn't tried to start it so condition of the engine is unknown. He reckons if he puts fresh petrol in and a Battery on and starts it the price will go up!
    Now the ? Is.....who would have such a bike and not try and start it? Does that seem strange to you?
    I'm in a dilemma. It could be ok or he might've had it started, it was knocking its brains out and turned it off quick before a rod popped through the side! Who knows?
    Anyways, at 10k is it a risk worth taking??
    Have a look on eBay.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by colin916; 13.05.2017 at 04:26 PM.

Ducati models
    900S2
    I would never trust someone who can't be bothered to buy a battery and get a bike started. It may have gearbox problems or as you say a knackered big end. Steer clear I say.

Ducati models
    749bp
    cant find it on ebay....whats the dealer???

in the meantime there is this on on here from one of our sponsers.
    http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/...909#post254909

A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

Ducati models
    1989 851SP 1976 450 MK3
    Yeh, I saw that one If I remember it`s 19000!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MIK...wAAOSw7GRZEaup is the one I refer to.
    The advice above to "steer clear" is good advice but....I`m so tempted at the price. Even if there`s work to do.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    This the MHR that the OP is referring too. It is almost identical to the one in Aberdeen which I brought up in this thread, which is now sold.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    1989 851SP 1976 450 MK3
    Deffo going to see it this week. Will post the results.....
    Derek, do you know how much that Aberdeen bike sold for? Just wondering if 10k is about right.
    Last edited by colin916; 14.05.2017 at 09:12 PM.

Ducati models
    900S2
    You must be kidding! 10000 for that heap of rubbish. It needs a complete cosmetic refurb - exhaust system, new brake lines, repainted wheels, tyres, not to mention a possible engine rebuild including a new ignition system. It would make more sense to spend 15000 on a bike that is in much better shape.

There are some quite incredible adverts for bevel Ducatis on eBay these days, mainly from importers of classics that seem to think that if it's a bevel Ducati then someone will be willing to pay a fortune for a piece of rusty scrap, with no thought of how much the rebuild will cost. A bunch of sharks is my opinion.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by colin916 View Post
    Deffo going to see it this week. Will post the results.....
    Derek, do you know how much that Aberdeen bike sold for? Just wondering if 10k is about right.
    Since I was personally involved in the sale I'd rather not discuss it on the forum. I will PM you.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    1989 851SP 1976 450 MK3
    Thanks Derek. I was unable to answer your PM. So....many thanks!
    Duccout, a bit harsh calling it a heap of rubbish! Until I see it I don`t know...you could be right. But looking at the photos it looks all there and in not too bad a condition. I`m looking for a project after rebuilding an old T series MG. Returning to what I prefer, Bikes, Ducatis in particular. I certainly don`t expect it to just purr back into life first kick and win a rossette. I`m not too bothered about what it needs, I`ll do it, it`s just how much to pay. I hear what you`re saying about the Ebay adverts though, there`s some shockers in the smaller bevel stuff 160`s ect.

Ducati models
    900S2
    Well, to me an old bike that has been laid up for years, where everything is corroded and paint is flaking, which is a non-runner and the owner can't even be bothered to get the engine started, seems to be a hell of a long way over priced at 10000! For comparison, many very desirable brand-new bikes are a lot cheaper than that, and I'm speaking as a totally committed bevel fan.

Ducati models
    --
    Other bikes
    1973 Guzzi V7 Sport, 1979 Guzzi T3 Cali, 2015 Triumph Tiger 800
    Having rebuilt a bevel twin I now understand the old adage "there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Ducati". I reckon you'd spend 10k on refurbishing that properly - but then there's always someone ready to jump in at a high price. I would suggest before buy it that you just have a run through the Mdina Italia parts list http://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/cgi-bin...i?display=home to get an idea of refurbishment costs.
    I'd buy the bike you are going for but not for that price. Maybe 6.5k tops. However, I bid a similar amount for the Scottish one and didn't get it so what do I know!
    Maybe better to pay more for a good runner. Anyway good luck - and do post a restoration blog on here if you do buy it!
    Cheers,
    Derek

Ducati models
    900S2
    Good words there Derek. The trouble is that the heart rules the head when it comes to motorcycles and we often don't think clearly. The rebuild costs are frightening and often it is the small things that add up to a massive bill - 10 here and 20 there - it's best not to keep a detailed record or one can feel sick when the reality hits. then there's the hassles along the way - the 'experts' who have a good reputation, often self-publicised, who promise to do a great job, but in reality are just con artists.

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    BSA 441 VICTOR,Ducati 250 scrambler Triumph 5ta, Tribsa,Montessa Cota, Gilera
    Quote Originally Posted by duccout View Post
    Good words there Derek. The trouble is that the heart rules the head when it comes to motorcycles and we often don't think clearly. The rebuild costs are frightening and often it is the small things that add up to a massive bill - 10 here and 20 there - it's best not to keep a detailed record or one can feel sick when the reality hits. then there's the hassles along the way - the 'experts' who have a good reputation, often self-publicised, who promise to do a great job, but in reality are just con artists.
    I find it best to keep every reciept, that way it is easier to get a proper value on the bike and an agreed value with the insurance company. A lot of folk out there especially on fleabay browse to see what bikes are going for and think mine is worth that even although it is a pile of effluent. There are a lot of dreamers out there , but there again its worth what the buyer is willing to pay !
    Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Ducati models
    1989 851SP 1976 450 MK3
    I bought it for 9250.
    Very similar story to Derek`s scottish one, the guy fell off it and parked it up. Divorce. Storage. ect. Its got 9000 miles on the clock and when I did a DVLA check the road tax was due 1st March 1985! So all checks out. Every nut and bolt although corroded is totally undamaged i.e. not rounded off. Crankcase seal still in place. Only damage is scrape on fairing, slight scrape on silencer and brake lever and screen.
    I got it home and changed the oil, cleaned out the carbs and fuel tank which were disgusting! put 2 new plugs in and she fired up with a push. I`d had WD40 down the holes overnight and I wore myself out kicking! Anyways, yes it was a chancey thing to do but she runs sweet as a nut. So, I`ll send the chrome bits away and sort the rest out.
    I have it in my mind at the moment to tidy it up strip the brakes ect replace fork seals....usual stuff, but leave the paintwork alone (including the scraped fairing) and see what it looks like when its all together.
    I`m thinking these things are only original once. It could be a shame to restore it too much. If it just looks bleedin` messy then I`ll paint it and powder coat the frame, but for the moment this is what I`m planning. After all if money was no object you could go out and buy a dozen restored ones today, but there`s not many left with the scars of the years.
    All in all, I`m very happy with it. A nice project to tinker about with.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to colin916 For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    900S2
    Well done! You are happy and that is what counts. You will have hours of fun with it, one way or another.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to duccout For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    1989 851SP 1976 450 MK3
    Yep, having fun!
    Decided to do the whole thing. I`ve got it stripped down to the frame which I`ll get powder coated along with the swing arm and stand next week.
    The chrome parts will be sent away at the weekend + fork stanchions need hard chroming. Its all come apart ok and is obviously a not-messed-about-with bike. I won`t do any painting until I get it rolling again though.

Colin

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colin916 For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    --
    Other bikes
    1973 Guzzi V7 Sport, 1979 Guzzi T3 Cali, 2015 Triumph Tiger 800
    Good luck Colin! Why not start a blog in the "projects" section of the forum? I like a nice rebuild blog where we all get to chip in our two 'pennorth of "expert" advice. Your best friend for this project will be Paddy Barratt www.ducatipaddy.com - sometimes visiting this forum.
    Cheers,
    Derek

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Glawster For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    1989 851SP 1976 450 MK3
    Not sure about a blog Derek, I don't even know how to upload a photo onto a post! I was going to put one up of progress so far, but I'm blowed if I can see how to do it. Anyway, it's coming back together ok. The powder coatings done, engine in, fork stachions have just arrived back, and I've found a chrome plating man in Leeds who has given me a two week turnaround time!. I've set up a zinc plating bath for some of the fasteners ect which I prefer to shiney ones, which also saves money!

Ducati models
    1989 851SP 1976 450 MK3
    Quick update.....all done! M.O.T on Friday. I`ll try and get a photo up when I get time.

Ducati models
    900S2
    That was quick! Fast work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast