Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New bike

Ducati models
    MTS1200 ABS, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    No room in the shed for the shovels - it's too full of bikes
    And I've spent all my cash on the bike, nothing left for carbon
    I'm not really a great bling person anyway. I prefer to spend my cash on more practical things but a set of CNC reach-adjustable levers will be first on the list.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    M695
    Beautiful bike! Love it

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco
    Some light reading for you Derek....

https://ducatistbike.wordpress.com/2...haust-valve-3/

I guess warranty infringement might be different in France?

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

Ducati models
    MTS1200 ABS, 907ie
    Other bikes
    A nice wee read Frank, the owner is obviously quite taken by his Supersport. He didn't say how he got round the ECU flagging up a warning light when he removed the exh. valve motor though, although I believe you can purchase an electronic gubbins to plug in in place of the motor to prevent this.

Ducati models
    1978 900GTS 1997 ST2
    Other bikes
    2001 monster metallic 900ie 1957 650 Triton

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cp14bob For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    MTS1200 ABS, 907ie
    Other bikes
    That's the one I was thinking about Bob.

Ducati models
    m800
    Other bikes
    1965 BSA A65 Lightning Clubman Moto Guzzi Bellagio
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    About the only thing I've noticed so far is that the mirrors are crap. They are a couple of inches too close together so you get a good view of your elbows but can't see what's directly behind you.
    Derek, I've been saving my pennies in case I got the urge to get a new bike, and now I'm starting to 'urge' and really like the look of the Supersport so I intend riding over to Ducati Glasgow in the next few days to have a look at it. You mentioned the mirrors are crap and I also noticed, while doing a bit of reading up on 'tinternet that they suffer from vibration, have you found this to be the case?
    Any general thoughts on the bike so far?

Thanks

Ducati models
    1978 900GTS 1997 ST2
    Other bikes
    2001 monster metallic 900ie 1957 650 Triton
    DG will be at the Ignition Show at the SECC

if your a SDC member i can get you a free ticket
    I need what day your real name & email

Ducati models
    MTS1200 ABS, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rbt1548 View Post
    Derek, I've been saving my pennies in case I got the urge to get a new bike, and now I'm starting to 'urge' and really like the look of the Supersport so I intend riding over to Ducati Glasgow in the next few days to have a look at it. You mentioned the mirrors are crap and I also noticed, while doing a bit of reading up on 'tinternet that they suffer from vibration, have you found this to be the case?
    Any general thoughts on the bike so far?

Thanks
    Yes, the mirrors do tend to vibrate. It seems that some are worse than others. Mine aren't too bad in that I can make out what's behind me but I can't make out any significant detail. They are worse than the Scrambler and the Multi which both have good mirrors but no worse than many other bikes. In the long term I was thinking about having a look to see if they could be dismantled then I could play around with different weights inside them to see if I could alter their resonant frequency.
    Other than that the bike is really brilliant. The clutch drags a little when the engine is cold making neutral selection difficult but once it has done a couple of miles it is fine. I can live with that and it will probably improve with a few more miles on it.
    Get a demo while you are at DG. You will be impressed.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco
    I'm pretty sure Ducati Glasgow have a SuperSport demonstrator of their own, but....

If you ride it, you will want one!

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

Ducati models
    m800
    Other bikes
    I took the Supersport out for a test ride today, lovely machine. I had it out for about an hour and did both motorway and back roads, quite an easy bike to ride. I found the mirrors not too bad either vibration-wise or field of vision, certainly no worse than some bikes I have ridden in the past. The screen in the upper position certainly makes a difference, you may not think it would with the difference not being huge but I put it in the down position on the way back and there was a lot more wind blast. I found a fair bit of heat from the bike round my nether regions at times and on full lock my thumbs were against the tank.
    I did really like the bike though, nice engine and feel to it. I have a plate in my left arm, from my wrist to my elbow, and was feeling it a bit leaning onto the bars.
    Am I going to buy one?, I am at home thinking about this just now, especially will it effect my arm?, I know I'd happy to get on it BUT, will I be quite glad to get off it? Ok, I appreciate it's not an out and out sports bike but it was still giving me a wee bit of grief on the ride. If I am going to spend that amount of money on a bike I want to make sure I am going to be completely happy with it, riding and ownership. I said I would phone in the morning once I have done a bit of soul searching.
    Ducati Glasgow, once again, were great in arranging the test-ride, full of knowledge and made sure I knew what I needed to know about the bike, it's now thinking time.

Ducati models
    None any more
    Other bikes
    Triumph Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rbt1548 View Post
    I took the Supersport out for a test ride today, lovely machine. I had it out for about an hour and did both motorway and back roads, quite an easy bike to ride. I found the mirrors not too bad either vibration-wise or field of vision, certainly no worse than some bikes I have ridden in the past. The screen in the upper position certainly makes a difference, you may not think it would with the difference not being huge but I put it in the down position on the way back and there was a lot more wind blast. I found a fair bit of heat from the bike round my nether regions at times and on full lock my thumbs were against the tank.
    I did really like the bike though, nice engine and feel to it. I have a plate in my left arm, from my wrist to my elbow, and was feeling it a bit leaning onto the bars.
    Am I going to buy one?, I am at home thinking about this just now, especially will it effect my arm?, I know I'd happy to get on it BUT, will I be quite glad to get off it? Ok, I appreciate it's not an out and out sports bike but it was still giving me a wee bit of grief on the ride. If I am going to spend that amount of money on a bike I want to make sure I am going to be completely happy with it, riding and ownership. I said I would phone in the morning once I have done a bit of soul searching.
    Ducati Glasgow, once again, were great in arranging the test-ride, full of knowledge and made sure I knew what I needed to know about the bike, it's now thinking time.
    I had a test ride the other week on one and really enjoyed it. It has plenty of power in the right places although I stayed mostly in the standard mode, economy far too low powered and the high performance mode not a big difference from the standard. It also wasn't easy to change modes but that would probably come in time.
    Similar to yourself I really wanted to see if the 'sports touring ' position worked for me. The verdict is I'm not really sure, it works great when whizzing along but any traffic slowing the progress up or town work shows that the bars and my kneck angle are not quite right ! But that is an individual thing and will work ok for others. It sounded great on the standard pipes although I don't like the look of those silencers !
    I would want heated grips and probably the panniers. I saw a picture of the fitting rails and they looked odd when no panniers on and quite like I had just welded them together in the garage !
    I did enjoy the ride, handling and the mirrors were ok. If you have owned and ridden Ducatis you won't notice it too much.

Ducati models
    916 RIP, 996 BP
    I have been in 2 minds between M821 and a used Multi. Ideally, I would want a M821 for scratching but with a full fairing for some decent touring mileage to Italy and Spain once a year. On test rides, the Monster is more engaging with a comfortable lean to the bars but a bit drafty at 80+. The Multi is fast in a line, great for long distances but a bit of a barge. Is it worth looking at the Supersport?

Ducati models
    M 1200R M S4RS 999S
    Other bikes
    strimmer, lawnmower & leafblower
    No harm in trying one, wouldn't mind a shot on one myself...hint hint Derek the next time you happen to be up this way.

Ducati models
    MTS1200 ABS, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    I have been in 2 minds between M821 and a used Multi. Ideally, I would want a M821 for scratching but with a full fairing for some decent touring mileage to Italy and Spain once a year. On test rides, the Monster is more engaging with a comfortable lean to the bars but a bit drafty at 80+. The Multi is fast in a line, great for long distances but a bit of a barge. Is it worth looking at the Supersport?
    I moved from an MTS1200 to the Supersport. I was thinking of replacing the MTS with something newer and tried the MTS950 and the SS939 - there was no comparison. The 950 is just as big and heavy as the 1200 and I really wanted something smaller and lighter which the Supersport certainly is.
    As I do a fair bit of travelling on the bike, both here and abroad, the Monsters were ruled out - no weather protection and no luggage capability. The Supersport has panniers as an option so I chose the base model rather than the 'S' and spent the difference on the panniers and heated grips.
    So I'm intending to use it as a proper sports tourer which is something that hasn't been available from Ducati since the demise of the ST range.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    MTS1200 ABS, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by t-ripple-ate View Post
    No harm in trying one, wouldn't mind a shot on one myself...hint hint Derek the next time you happen to be up this way.
    ...or if you're down this way

Ducati models
    M 1200R M S4RS 999S
    Other bikes
    strimmer, lawnmower & leafblower
    Excellent, might be next biking season but will get down to you sometime.

Ducati models
    Ducati 900 Supersport
    Other bikes
    KaTooM 990 Adventure
    I've seen one with the twin Akrapovic exhausts like the Panigale and thought it looked brilliant. I remember Robbie posting a picture way back and thought oh no, it looks like a Honda ! It's actually one of my favourites in the range at the moment.
    Derek, some of the KTM guys have filled their bars with silicone and apparently it stops any vibes buzzing the mirrors and giving you tingly digits. Personally I don't notice it and haven't done it but I am curious and might do it anyway before we head to Italy in September.
    Last edited by BeePee; 14.08.2017 at 10:28 PM.
    you can run............ but I'd rather be on my Monster

Ducati models
    m800
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    Is it worth looking at the Supersport?
    Most definitely!, I decided in the end not to go for it due to the reasons I mentioned in my post, BUT, I am having some second thoughts especially as I found that some manufacturers are making risers for the bars which should help. As Derek mentioned, it's smaller and lighter than a Multi, should manoeuvrability be an issue. Try a test ride, definitely a good bike.

Ducati models
    MTS1200 ABS, 907ie
    Other bikes
    I saw these bar risers but at 80 they are a bit pricey for what they are. I made a similar pair when I had the ST4s so I might make a pair for the SS myself.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast