+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Internal view of 1098 engine running

Default Internal view of 1098 engine running

Found some large fragments ie 5pence size of aluminium in the mesh filter of 1098.
    Hoping itís fragments left after machining but its covered over 51000 miles so not sure. Itís the first time Iíve serviced myself. Anyway does anyone know of a video showing the internal operation of internal crank and gears rotating in real time ? I can then compare with my own engine. Donít want to split crankcase if nothing wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2812C58D-B783-4CB0-9F6B-F72FE6642DC3.jpg‎
Views:	44
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	11850  

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco
    Hi Geoff,

My initial thought was sprag bearing but, with that amount missing starting would surely be very hard/erratic.

Good luck!

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by iconic944ss View Post
    Hi Geoff,

My initial thought was sprag bearing but, with that amount missing starting would surely be very hard/erratic.

Good luck!
    Just missed you on Saturday. Never mind heard you enjoyed Milan with Norrie.
    Can’t be sprag as nothing aluminium incorporated into sprag as far as I know. Have plenty of time now so not that bothered if I need to drop engine and split cases. All part of the learning curve. Have just ordered a wireless endoscope for internal viewing and will make a oil drain feedthrough complete with seal for insertion of scope. Will show gear movement, selection and crank rotation in real time complete with oil splattering around. Should look amazing.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    I doubt if they are anything to worry about Geoff, especially being alloy. Big end material shows up as bronze, rocker plating as chrome, gear fragments as slivers of silvery steel, sprag clutch as darker steel fragments which will wreck the main and gearing bearings if not caught very quickly.
    A 1098 that I had dealings with had a gudgeon pin circlip come out with the oil strainer. The owner stripped the top end and found nothing wrong with it. It must have been there since assembly at the factory.
    The next owner found a piece of the gear index roller return spring at an oil change. He then stripped the clutch side expecting to find a broken spring - there was nothing wrong with it, although it may have been broken in the past and then replaced with the broken part lost inside the engine.
    Generally, small bits of things end up in the oil strainer without causing any damage. Having said that, when the gearchange return spring broke on my Scrambler the broken off part got carried round with the flywheel and lodged in the starter intermediate gear jamming the starter.

I bought one of these wireless borescopes that was supposed to work on an Android phone - it didn't work

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    BSA 441 VICTOR,Ducati 250 scrambler Triumph 5ta, Tribsa,Montessa Cota, Gilera
    These look moe like shavings from possibly a gear rotating and rubbing up against a casing to me.

Sam
    Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Pretty sure it’s from the casing as several have stated and the parts look like they’ve sequenced through the gears. Several days ago after leaving the house I’m sure I could hear a periodic noise which appreared to come from the gearbox area. I stopped several times but after a few hundred yards dissappeared and I’ve covered in excess of 300 miles since without a problem. Now have a remote manipulating end type of endoscope with an eye viewer which allows you to rotate and move the head around inside the engine with a very short focal length so possible to view parts in detail. The endoscope end is illuminated externally by a light source that’s missing. Have ordered ultra bright LED used in BMW cars and will integrate into scope. Should provide enough light to view all internal parts. It has a microscope end piece with a very short focal distance for viewing with the eye. It’s my intention to place my iPad camera against the lense and record. Hoping to post video and would appreciate any feedback once viewed.
    Derek
    I’ve have ordered a borescope 5mm diameter complete with 2.7inch HD display. It supports wireless connectivity and will link to my iPad. Has a viewing angle of 50 degrees and is water resistant. Looking at pictures of the internals on the internet the best place for complete viewing of rotating internals is through the drain plug. I will manufacture my own plug complete with sealed o ring for passing camera into engine. Will video a dry run ie no oil but rotating crank and gear selection by rotating rear wheel. Once filled with engine oil an actual running real time video. Only problem the oil will probably obscure vision. I’ve found videos of people filming the combustion process which is amazing but not what happens down below ? Obviously will make sure camera doesn’t get anywhere near rotating parts.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    This will be interesting. I look forward to seeing the results.

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco
    Cant recommend the Android rubbish that I bought but, it helped when I wanted an interior view...

https://youtu.be/oQKIxJH1AlA

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iconic944ss For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Very entertaining Frank I see that's your ST4s engine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    888 SP5
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    The next owner found a piece of the gear index roller return spring at an oil change. He then stripped the clutch side expecting to find a broken spring - there was nothing wrong with it, although it may have been broken in the past and then replaced with the broken part lost inside the engine.:
    That rings a bell Derek - I can't recall the detail, but I think the first owner did have something happen there at one point early in the life of the machine.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    That would explain it Mike. The bike continued to run well and has now passed on to another owner.

Default Message curvuit

Thanks for that Frank. Iíve ordered a 5.5mm diameter camera from ebay with a 2.7 inch HD screen with wireless connectivity to iPad. This one Iíll stick through a copy of the oil drain plug complete with o ring seal and positioned above the oil level. Video the movement of crank shaft with crank turning tool and plugs removed. Engage gears and rotate rear wheel by hand to engage all six gears. If all goes well Iíll insert plugs and fire up engine. This is for novelty value.
    Iíve borrowed a surplus to requirement medical style endoscope which allows you to remotely orientate head and allow you to look around in engine and check for any problems. This I will insert through the mesh filter hole which is relatively large. Surplus because it was missing itís bright light source. Iíve purchased an ultra high intensity white LED 5mm SMT in a square package with a flat 5mm diameter source which matches the dimensions of the scope. For novelty value Iím hoping to build a simple circuit again SMT technology which is polarity insensitive utilising a bridge rectifier. Iíve been reading up on CANBUS and it turns out it uses twisted pair with a characteristic impedance of 120 ohms. To minimise reflections on the line all loads should match this. So all going well some readers might find it a useful circuit for upgrading side lights to high intensity LED, polarity insensitive and be CANBUS error free. Think itís possible with four diodes, and a couple of resistors so very cheap. Need it for my endoscope so may be of interest to some guys on this forum.

+ Reply to Thread