The Ducati Change Your Password Is NOT a Scam

Its OK to click and change

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    No, it's a marketing ploy.
    From another source;
    If I click on the link to change my profile it's already pre-filled with some personal information, some of which is mis-typed, but also wants me to complete other personal details such as date of birth (surprised they haven't already got that), height, education, family status, occupation, make of smartphone, make of tablet, how many cars I own, mobile number (which is blank), alternative telephone number (which has my mobile number).

Last but no means least there is the privacy section which is dated 2003 and make specific to Italian privacy laws which assume that you've allow your data to be shared with a single box tick - which A. is not a current law and is superseded by EU GDPR laws, and B. they're not allowed to make the assumption that you're happy for your data to be shared unless it's a separate "opt in" and they also have to be VERY specific about who they are sharing it with. Just using the term "third parties" is not enough.

There is a couple of tick boxes at the bottom - you tick one if you give consent to data processing and you tick the other is you do not consent to data processing. If you tick the box which says that you do not consent, hit the save button, and then go straight back into that page then that setting is no longer set, which suggests that it's a field that they disregard and do nothing with. Once you hit the save button (there is no option to cancel it) you are taken straight back to the first page and your "Sales questionnaire" link has a little red arrow beside it which the key on the page indicates as meaning "To be filled".

This website appears to have absolutely no value to the owner and only serves to bolster Ducati's customer profile data Ducati has no legitimate reason to hold the data that they are requesting you to complete and I would advise that anyone with access to this page not supply any additional personally identifiable information as the content and structure is unlawful under EU GDPR. I would not correct any errors either. This information has obviously been supplied by the dealer in good faith, and in accordance with the requirement to process the data for warranty purposes, etc, but appears to be being abused purely for marketing purposes.
    You can make up your own minds, I think I'll keep my data to myself

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Like Derek, I am extremely precious about who stores and who uses my information.

However, Ducati are using this information to be able to cleanse their data and send out special DOC rate invites for WDW 2018 (like the one I have just received)

If you choose not to be contactable, you won't hear about events (track days, WDW etc) special offers, bike launches, racing news and all that kind of stuff from both Ducati UK and Ducati in Italy. If you're inclined to be a Ducatisti, the factory having your basic details isn't a bad thing IMHO. You can always OPT out at any time.

I'm not here to fight for the factory cause and there's no pressure at all on anyone to tick any of this and i'm sure Ducati will sort their stuff out to comply with GDPR in due course. However, there's only one way to hear about things from the factory and that's to allow them to contact you.

Mart
    We have moved premises to 6 Mossland Drive, Hillington Park, Glasgow G52 4FA. Take Junction 26 off M8 towards Arnold Clark, double back at the roundabout and take first left. Approximately 7 minutes drive from the old store at Great Western Road - We'd love to see you

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Ducati Glasgow For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    749bp
    That would be correct if it wasnt for the fact that Ducati already have the SDC/DOC member contact details (updated recently in the recent reaffiliation) which they can contact us on.
    A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieT For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Exactly Robbie. It's a marketing ploy, probably aimed at everyone who has ever bought a bike from them. Why would they need to know your height, education, family status, occupation, make of smartphone, make of tablet, how many cars you own, mobile number and alternative telephone number? And there is no option to not share your data.

Ducati models
    749bp
    Saying that, some members occasionally choose to pay the renewal fee then either just don't or forget to fill in the form that updates their info (email address and postal address).

Makes for interesting discussion when months later the president gets emails asking why the member hasnt received any of the club monthly email newsletters nor the member welcome pack ........although they have changed email address and postal address recently but didnt update their details...oooops

A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco + GP800
    Worst of all.

No other bikes selectable other than those in current production...

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

Ducati models
    2000 ST4 1997 ST2 900GTS
    Other bikes
    2001 monster metallic 900ie 1957 650 Triton
    No WDW Tickets with discount code unless you sign up

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    C'mon Bob get a grip. Thanks not legal. If you really want to take that position you shouldn't be president, should be representing the members not Ducati,

Ducati models
    749bp
    Am pretty sure he means sign up to the club, not register with the website.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    I hope so.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    WDW Discounted Prices for Members

If you got a Ducati email asking you to update your password
    You need to update it
    Or sign up to Ducati.com at
    https://my.ducati.com/uk/en/register/ducati
    Then you will get sent a code and link to get DOC ticket discount
    Or get through Dealership
    Or pay full price
    FFS! So Ducati want you to provide them with personal data for marketing purposes which you can't opt out of and don't know who they will share it with before they will send you a link to get a DOC discount.

Good job I'm not going.

You should have said that in first place Bob.

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
    That would be correct if it wasnt for the fact that Ducati already have the SDC/DOC member contact details (updated recently in the recent reaffiliation) which they can contact us on.
    Actually Robbie, I didn't fill this in as any kind of SDC/DOC member, this was because I have filled out the relevant part of the Ducati.com site as a consumer and Ducati rider, same as everybody else. I'm not acting as a dealer here, I have filled in the info for my own benefit.
    We have moved premises to 6 Mossland Drive, Hillington Park, Glasgow G52 4FA. Take Junction 26 off M8 towards Arnold Clark, double back at the roundabout and take first left. Approximately 7 minutes drive from the old store at Great Western Road - We'd love to see you

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Exactly Robbie. It's a marketing ploy, probably aimed at everyone who has ever bought a bike from them. Why would they need to know your height, education, family status, occupation, make of smartphone, make of tablet, how many cars you own, mobile number and alternative telephone number? And there is no option to not share your data.
    I dunno if I would call it a marketing ploy, but if you want to use that kind of approach, I would more specifically describe it as a profiling ploy!

Now I realise Derek that you've got very strong views on this but let me offer a few words from an insiders points of view; from someone who sees how a lot of how this information is used.

If I had a pound for everytime someone said to me "I wish Ducati would listen and do this........". Establishing profiles on your customers helps tailor everything you go about, from manufacturing to retail. Answering the questions on the Ducati.com site give insight as to what type of person you are, what you may be interested in and what your purchasing habits are. When the statisticians get hold of this information, they can tell the factory loads about the next range of products we will probably like so they should produce them PLUS a steer on how they should be advertised to us.

Let's look at the questions (and i'll quote your post above): -
    1) What is your height? - Hugely relevant to bike design is seat height. Ducati will have an average height across thousands of their customers, you can be sure this has relevance when bikes are on the drawing board.
    2) Education? - What type of demographic should they advertise to? What kind of advert should we produce? Should it be MTV or Dad's Army?
    3) Family Status? - Should they create children's clothes, safey gear, toys, school bags etc etc etc
    4) Occupation? - This helps create a picture on what type of person they try to appeal to, in what line of work and an average salary range. Of course this will help establish something critical to all of us - PRICE!!
    5) How many cars? - Helps to create a further picture about you. Eg do you drive a Volvo or an Alfa Romeo, this says a lot about someone and their purchasing habits.
    6) Make of smartphone? - Should they make more or less phone covers / ipad covers etc? What type of software interface are more of their customers used to using? I expect this will be used for not only manufacturing but how dashboards are accessed etc
    7) Mobile phone number and alternative number? - Mobile phone so they can contact you by text and other number in case your mobile number changes (which happens a lot). You could be asked to answer a survey, informed of new stuff, asked on your opinion on the products and more.

I'm sure over and above my thoughts on the matter, there are loads of other reasons Ducati and other large manufacturers use this info. But i've been in meetings where a lot of the above has been mentioned.

You might think this is a load of tosh and you're just not interested in giving them info, I respect everyones decision to do that. But I filled out my details as a consumer because I want them to know what I like, in the hope that when new products are released, they are perhaps, tailored towards me.

Also remember, if Ducati are not producing stuff you may like (like the new ST you yourself were hoping for, for some time) and you don't give them any kind of idea to what you are into. Well that doesn't help.

So as I said above, i'm not here to fight for the factory on this point, you and everyone else can do what you want, if you want. I'm keeping my details up to date for my own gain. But, sharing data and profiling isn't always a bad thing.

Mart
    Last edited by Martin Ducati Glasgow; 28.03.2018 at 03:05 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Ducati Glasgow For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    S4 Monster Challenge
    Other bikes
    1985 GPz 750, ZXR750J2
    Next thing they'll be wanting to know your inside leg measurement..........hang on, that might be quite useful

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    BSA 441 VICTOR,Ducati 250 scrambler Triumph 5ta, Tribsa,Montessa Cota, Gilera
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ducati Glasgow View Post
    I dunno if I would call it a marketing ploy, but if you want to use that kind of approach, I would more specifically describe it as a profiling ploy!

Now I realise Derek that you've got very strong views on this but let me offer a few words from an insiders points of view; from someone who sees how a lot of how this information is used.

If I had a pound for everytime someone said to me "I wish Ducati would listen and do this........". Establishing profiles on your customers helps tailor everything you go about, from manufacturing to retail. Answering the questions on the Ducati.com site give insight as to what type of person you are, what you may be interested in and what your purchasing habits are. When the statisticians get hold of this information, they can tell the factory loads about the next range of products we will probably like so they should produce them PLUS a steer on how they should be advertised to us.

Let's look at the questions (and i'll quote your post above): -
    1) What is your height? - Hugely relevant to bike design is seat height. Ducati will have an average height across thousands of their customers, you can be sure this has relevance when bikes are on the drawing board.
    2) Education? - What type of demographic should they advertise to? What kind of advert should we produce? Should it be MTV or Dad's Army?
    3) Family Status? - Should they create children's clothes, safey gear, toys, school bags etc etc etc
    4) Occupation? - This helps create a picture on what type of person they try to appeal to, in what line of work and an average salary range. Of course this will help establish something critical to all of us - PRICE!!
    5) How many cars? - Helps to create a further picture about you. Eg do you drive a Volvo or an Alfa Romeo, this says a lot about someone and their purchasing habits.
    6) Make of smartphone? - Should they make more or less phone covers / ipad covers etc? What type of software interface are more of their customers used to using? I expect this will be used for not only manufacturing but how dashboards are accessed etc
    7) Mobile phone number and alternative number? - Mobile phone so they can contact you by text and other number in case your mobile number changes (which happens a lot). You could be asked to answer a survey, informed of new stuff, asked on your opinion on the products and more.

I'm sure over and above my thoughts on the matter, there are loads of other reasons Ducati and other large manufacturers use this info. But i've been in meetings where a lot of the above has been mentioned.

You might think this is a load of tosh and you're just not interested in giving them info, I respect everyones decision to do that. But I filled out my details as a consumer because I want them to know what I like, in the hope that when new products are released, they are perhaps, tailored towards me.

Also remember, if Ducati are not producing stuff you may like (like the new ST you yourself were hoping for, for some time) and you don't give them any kind of idea to what you are into. Well that doesn't help.

So as I said above, i'm not here to fight for the factory on this point, you and everyone else can do what you want, if you want. I'm keeping my details up to date for my own gain. But, sharing data and profiling isn't always a bad thing.

Mart
    Sounds as if they are heading in a similar direction as Harley-Davidson ...what next branded loo roll?
    Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Out of curiosity I changed my password as requested, determined not to provide any more information than I thought appropriate. At the bottom of the page I checked the 2 boxes which said I did not wish to share my information and clicked the save button. A pop up said "Saved" and the page remained and went no further. I have no idea if the password changed or if anything happened at all. In their previous owner profile page If you did not check the boxes to share your information it simply didn't proceed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    749bp
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ducati Glasgow View Post
    Actually Robbie, I didn't fill this in as any kind of SDC/DOC member, this was because I have filled out the relevant part of the Ducati.com site as a consumer and Ducati rider, same as everybody else. I'm not acting as a dealer here, I have filled in the info for my own benefit.
    Hi Martin.
    thanks for taking the time to respond to these.
    I didnt necessarily mean this (my comment) about you.

what I meant was the club have lots and lots of members who have a lot of details stored about them already in the membership system (DCO) which Bob & the committee and also Ducati Italy have access to.

The problem is when these members havent (or what maybe seems now also have) ticked the marketing box when they joined, or the person who manually enrolled them (the president at that time) has or hasnt. they seem now also to be required to sign up the the online personal profile at Ducati.com in order to get wdw tickets. Once the members have signed up to the SDC they cant go into their membership and change the tick box.

This was never mentioned in the first place. It was just 'if you are a member' you get discounted wdw tickets. Now its if you are a DOC member, have ticked the opt into marketing, and also registered on Ducati.com you can get discounted tickets.

The only reason to fill in the form for my benefit would be to get the wdw tickets as far as I am concerned...which I should already get as advertised by Ducati as a DOC member

Not having to fill out a(nother) form and tick certain boxes that are already ticked elsewhere.

Thats very donkey carrot and stick.

Also doesnt help that Ducati screwed up this year in an effort to simplify the reaffiliation procedure for clubs automatically re-enrolled all members on the system they had....regardless of if they were actually fully paid up and re-enrolled members.

meaning they have more members in the system for the clubs than in reality, and also that now it seems a lot of non-renewing members will be able to access the discounted tickets when that goes against the whole advertising ploy of being a member is that its the only way to get the fully discounted tickets- not this year it isnt!!!

Plus when the former president of a club cant get the email to get the discount code it says a lot about the approach Ducati have taken what luck do members have when they have a problem? (and when an email to the Ducati club organiser staff takes over 5 weeks to respond to = unacceptable).

I know it's different departments we have dealt with in the past but am sure you can appreciate how frustrating it can be trying to communicate with them at times.
    Or getting clear information.
    Last edited by RobbieT; 29.03.2018 at 06:37 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieT For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    2000 ST4 1997 ST2 900GTS
    Other bikes
    2001 monster metallic 900ie 1957 650 Triton
    Quote Originally Posted by cp14bob View Post
    The Ducati Change Your Password Is NOT a Scam

Its OK to click and change
    You only got this email if you were ALREADY signed-up to IT

+ Reply to Thread