+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insurance - should a bike claim affect your car insurance?

Ducati models
    M696
    Other bikes
    Vespa P, Guzzi V50

Default Insurance - should a bike claim affect your car insurance?

might seem fairly straight forward question but i claimed on my bike insurance last year and although my bike insurance renewal has only increased marginally (protected no claims) my car insurance has increased considerably more.

is this normal? pretty annoying as i then have to declare on every both household cars plus bikes.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Unfortunately, yes that is normal. They will use every opportunity to screw more money out of you

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    SC1000, 748, HyperS, SCR
    I had the same issue. Yet when I had a car claim my bike insurer said it’s not relevant and made no difference to cost!

Ducati models
    748SPS, 748SP, MTS,
    Other bikes
    S1000XR, Honda NSR250R, MV Agusta F4 750
    Insurance companies' criteria are weird. I have two cars, one runabout and a nice one. The nice one has the full (many years) NCB, the runabout I only got a couple of years ago. I understood that my NCB could only be claimed on one car, the other would have to build up its own. Yet my insurance company now say that I have full NCB on both cars! So I now have two policies, both with max NCB, despite one only having built up over fewer years! I wish it would apply to my bikes.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    If the cars (or bikes) are on separate policies then I believe each policy can build up a NCB but if you have, like most people, a multi bike policy, only one bike earns the NCB.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    748SPS, 748SP, MTS,
    Other bikes
    S1000XR, Honda NSR250R, MV Agusta F4 750
    That's what I thought, @derek, but after only a couple of years on the runabout, I queried LV, the insurance company, who confirmed that, because I had nine-plus years on my XF, they credited me with the same NCD on the little car, despite these being on separate policies (although with the same company). I've since changed the runabout for a bloody great 4.6 V8 Range Rover, and transferred that 9-plus years onto it!
    Annoyingly, although I have, I believe, over 15 years NCD, many companies only give 9 years as their max.

Ducati models
    Streetfighter S
    Other bikes
    Xt660z tenere
    I use LV for the car and bikes and when i went to insure the landrover this year they had sent me out two renewal notices with separate policy numbers and two separate premiums one 20 more than the other.
    When I queried this the guy told me they had accidentally automatically renewed the previous years policy even though I had cancelled it.
    Up shop of this was they had billed me twice.
    He was very apologetic, gave me a full refund and I then took out the cheaper policy which was already paid for by the refund I had just got !

+ Reply to Thread