+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clutches

Ducati models
    888 SP5,916 Strada,DB2SR

Default Clutches

Canvassing for opinions - my 888SP5 has been in storage for a few years, and I've decided that it's about time that I recommission and have a bit of use out of it. One of the jobs that I need to do is to replace the clutch basket and plates, which are somewhat notched (usable, but not pleasant).

As I see it - I have four options:
    1) Stick with original - the SP steel clutch basket appears to still be available to order;
    2) Upgrade to a more recent 12-tooth OEM alloy basket and plates;
    3) Upgrade to a third party 12-tooth alloy basket and plates;
    4) Upgrade to a third party 48-tooth alloy basket and plates;

From memory - I think all the Ducs I've ever owned, have always had OEM clutches, so I've got no experience of aftermarket units. I've had slipper clutches in a few of my previous bikes, and while it appeals, it's not a priority for me on this bike.

I'd be interested to hear experiences out there..

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by hindsight; 09.05.2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: can't count.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    For me I would fit either an OEM of 3rd party 12 tooth alloy basket and plates. The alloy is quieter and lasts better than steel against steel. If you do the quiet clutch mod at the same time it will last probably the life of the bike. I had 38,000 miles out of the clutch on the ST4s after doing the quiet clutch mode early in it's life.
    The aftermarket 48 tooth basket and plates will certainly be quieter and last longer than OEM but are more expensive and ties you into a proprietary solution.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    888 SP5,916 Strada,DB2SR
    Thanks Derek - I've been distractedly mulling it over this afternoon (much to the frustration of anyone wanting to get anything productive out of me...). The conclusion that I came to is that one of the nice things about this particular bike is the originality of it, from the way it looks, the way it rides and the noises it makes, including the bag-of-spanners racket of a steel dry clutch. The longevity of the clutch isn't particularly important to me, because I don't tend to do a lot of miles on it.

While it's still available - the original steel basket is where I want to go for now, and that should last at least another 25 years, at which point, perhaps one of these new-fangled alloy units might be the only choice :-)

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Personally my mechanical sympathies don't like the noise of the steel basket and plates smashing themselves to bits. Hence my preference for the alloy clutch and quiet clutch mod.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

+ Reply to Thread