+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oil use

Ducati models
    Multistrada 1200 DVT

Question oil use

Not a great start to my Ducati experience. Returned from a 2800 mile euro trip on my, new to me, 2016 Multistrada 1200 DVT which performed well apart from drinking oil. It used 800ml during the trip. John Clark Mottorrad Dundee, who sold me the bike, have agreed to take it in and have it looked at, but I just wondered if anyone here has had a similar problem as any information is good to have.
    One thing I noticed, which may be normal for a Ducati, is that when I top up the oil, the level in the sight glass does not rise until you have run the engine for a bit. Is this normal?

Just to rub it in my pals KTM used no oil during the trip and my previous BMW probably used less than that in three years.

Any wisdom out there ?

cheers

John

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    My 2010 MTS1200 used negligible oil between 7500 mile oil changes. Same for my Scrambler at annual oil changes of around 3000 miles. Ditto for a previous ST4s at 6000 mile oil changes. So I'd say your bike's oil consumption is not normal but is almost certainly within what Ducati would describe as acceptable.
    It may be that the piston rings / cylinder bores have become glazed due to being run in too gently, in which case there may not be much you can do about.

When topping up the oil in the sight glass usually rises a bit then settles as it drains from the clutch side housing into the engine. Running the engine then leaving it for a few minutes to settle should give a true indication in the sight glass.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    Multistrada 1200 DVT
    Thanks Derek

There was me thinking that the fact that the previous owner, who I met after buying the bike, was careful and said he never pushed the bike.... was a good thing.

I will see what the dealer says

cheers

John

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    If all else fails you could try changing the oil to a semi-synthetic, thrash the daylights out of it for a few hundred miles, then change back to a fully synthetic. Hopefully that might deglaze the bores if that's where the problem lies.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    M 1200R M S4RS 999S
    Other bikes
    strimmer, lawnmower & leafblower
    Do what they did to my tractor, put running in oil in it & stick it on a dyno....bores deglazed!! not helpful...sorry.

Ducati models
    Multistrada 1200 DVT
    Ducati Glasgow have stated, of the record, that up to 1ltr per 1000 miles would be maximum factory limit. To get an accurate use would involve draining oil, adding weighed amount, run for 500 miles then drain and weigh oil to give weight difference use.
    Will see what John Clark Motorrad say as its under warranty before heading to local Massey Ferguson dealer. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread