+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helmet Review: AGV Carbon Sportmodular

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco

Default Helmet Review: AGV Carbon Sportmodular

All Derek's fault it has to be said

Following a post on here I started scouring the 'net on relevant reviews, the only reason I ruled out Dereks Laser was the lack of an internal (jet) visor which I find so useful for being able to ride with the helmet in the open position - I hate having my face over-heated!

I looked long and hard at the AGV-ST range but they are even heavier than my existing helmet: HJC R-PHA Max

So, I grabbed an AGV catalogue when leaving store, which was also fateful as it got a good scouring and the Carbon Sportmodular caught my eye. The lack of weight was an obvious draw at only 1340 grams and the build quality and feel is very good.

Trick parts and design abound on the models, almost every fastner in the helmet is Titanium and the liner is easily reversible for summer or winter use. Summer has a smoother Coolmax feel to it while winter a fleece type finish.

The jet visor is operated by a slider on the rim of the lid, very similar to the Schuberth system and has a notch to allow easy engagement as a sun dim, limited use.
    A double D-ring fastening is easy to use with good tab design and very deep chin curtain prevents cold drafts, which I've removed already.

Standard fitting sizes seem generous but the Medium felt a little odd as the top of my head was held nicely with lots of ear room but the cheek pads pushed heavily into my jaw, thankfully this isn't as noticeable to me now, half me getting used to it and a little more give, perhaps.

The field of vision is superb, the best I've ever ridden with. I'm sure its only margin over my HJC but it feels much wider.

Vents are very good, the front and top in particular direct flow exactly where need, the top being a little too breezy at speed

Downsides: The flip front release lever has quite a long downward stroke before releasing the latch, with thin gloves. I've gotten used to this already but the chin curtain hampers this operation a little more and heavier gloves could well be a pain.

The main visor latch is operated by a button which pushes TOWARDS the riders face. Quite a small triangular button too, which has taken even more getting used to than the point above. The good point is that this incorporates a demisting position for the visor if the pin-lock (supplied) isnt being used.

The rear spoiler cum vent is tricky to open on the move and I've not mastered that yet after a month or riding. The multi-position makes little difference and I'd have to ride on cooler days to feel if it really flows any air.

Sadly, the BIG downside: Noise!
    Never realised how quiet my HJC really is. Up to 50 mph the lid is excellent but in any turbulance, the helmet is very, very stable but the noise level ramps up so quickly. There is very little padding under the liner but I think its a function of the carbon design itself as it seem very thin. So, I'm finding ear-plugs essential for most rides.

With a start price of (Gulp) 550 its a helmet I'd be happy to recommend on everything except the wind noise. But, if you'd like to feel like a MotoGP hero, you wont be disappointed.

Ciao.

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iconic944ss For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    What is it about helmet makers that they can charge huge money for a helmet that leaves you deaf?

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    MTS 1200s DVT
    Other bikes
    GasGas EC 300.
    How does this helmet compare with yours for weight Derek?? I did look very carefully at your helmet at the back doorway when you stopped over last month and I was very very surprised at how light it was !!
    TO BE ALWAYS SURE OF HITTING THE TARGET, SHOOT FIRST, THEN CALL WHATEVER YOU HIT THE TARGET.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    The Lazer is 1350 GM's + or - 50 GM's, so about the same but much cheaper. Can be got for under 300

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport S
    I was surprised to find out that AGV are owned by Dianese.

Ducati models
    supersport 939
    Other bikes
    1965 BSA Lightning Clubman Moto Guzzi T3
    I just bought one today, the AGV Carbon Sportmodular AERO, the one with the red design.

As I needed a new helmet, I read up on a few flip fronts and wanted a lightish one, my Shoei Multitec is 1800grms + which can be a bit tiring sometimes, I thought of the Lazer Monaco Evo 2 Pure Carbon too, I was in Ducati Glasgow and they had the SportModular in stock, so I tried it on it seemed a good, comfortable helmet but time will tell, expensive? , oh yes!, I did get a bit off it mind you, then again I also came out with a new, (to me) bike!!!!!!, well you know how it is!

I bought a 67 plate Supersport which I get next week, looking forward to that.

I have taken note of what iconic944ss has said about the helmet and if I find anything to add I'll make a note.

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco
    Nice one! I dont think anyone would regret buying one.

As a follow up, I rode an unfaired KTM1290r Super Duke for some miles recently and finally the SportCarbon makes so much sense.

Ultra stable when not in turbulent air and actually quieter than behind either of my screens, if that does not seem as if it should be the opposite.

I'm much more used to the vents now but the rear is still a pain, needs setting before riding off, must be my clumsy hands!

Cheers

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

Ducati models
    supersport 939
    Other bikes
    1965 BSA Lightning Clubman Moto Guzzi T3
    I have worn the helmet for a good few miles now and totally agree with what iconic944ss said, it IS loud without earplugs! I wear earplugs anyway but thought I would try the helmet without. When I picked up the Supersport I went on the motorway and couldn't believe the noise, and, for me, it's at most speeds with no change even if I alter the screen height.
    I did have a ride out this morning which took in some motorway miles too and I wore earplugs, there is a marked difference, it's just really a dull sound nothing near the volume and pitch there is without the plugs. I will try it on the T3 and see if there is any difference on a naked bike.

+ Reply to Thread