+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ducati Glasgow (where do we start)

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    BMW Panzer 1200 GS
    they should have offered you a replacement bike until they sorted this issue out,its maybe something the SDC President should speak to Martin about as you are a SDC member and he can act as a go between

Ducati models
    Troy Bayliss 1098 & 900SL
    Other bikes
    Suzuki GS1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by Davcat View Post
    they should have offered you a replacement bike until they sorted this issue out,its maybe something the SDC President should speak to Martin about as you are a SDC member and he can act as a go between
    Bob would have no influence as still no contact from DG.
    Really shocking PR and customer service.
    I am sure Ducati UK and Ducati Italy will comment
    Scott C

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiz For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    MultiStrada 950
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiz View Post
    And Ive not stopped. Im easy going but dont f.... With me.
    Give to them, that is a despicable way to treat a customer and surely if youíre doing that much warm on a clutch youíd automatically fit new springs ?

Ducati models
    MultiStrada 950
    Totally agree, even without all these troubles there should have been a complimentary bike made available if required, and especially now as A) they have right royally cocked this all up B) it’s now interfering with you’re plans and putting out of pocket regarding a prior arrangement that they were aware of and had agreed to a specific deadline for have your bike back in working condition and on the road !
    I always get offered a bike for the day when my own is in at Ducati Leeds - even when the job only took 45 mins (fitting heated grips) I was away all round Yorkshire and the North Peak District for the day on a M/S Enduro. When in for 9k service had a M/S 1260 for the day. At that time there was a chop on the coating on and engine cover identified, image taken and sent to Ducati there and then, 10 days later I got a call saying the part was in and when asked if I could bring the bike in that week to have it fitted, the 1260 was also made available for that day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Briantheb For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    998s, 998s mono
    Other bikes
    vfr 800 vtech
    . Thatís not the point and no president of a bike club will change Audiís mind

Ducati models
    Troy Bayliss 1098 & 900SL
    Other bikes
    Suzuki GS1000S
    +++++UPDATE+++++
    Afternoon all . Martin finally tracked me down and we have had a 30 minute chat regarding the Bayliss and the issues.
    I have said to him I would post up on DUN and FB regarding our chat.
    He has put his hand up and admitted that they did fail in realising new springs were required in the Sigma clutch. It appears the 1098/1198 kit is the only one that is not supplied with them in it.
    They realised this mistake on Thursday and have been trying to chase down springs from every dealership in the UK but cannot source from anyone. He was going to get me up and running by stripping down a bike and fitting these but he has been told by Sigma that it must be new springs and if fitted with old springs or 3rd party parts the guarantee is validated
    Therefore springs have been ordered but at this moment in time he is in the hands of Ducati Italy to deliver.
    There is nothing we can do at this moment so he has put his hands up and apologised regarding failing to read the small print on the clutch info page but if he could have got me on the road he would have. I have apologised for going off on a full rant yesterday but Martin understands why I did it. It was just unfortunate that he did not get back to me yesterday or the message that was supposed to be passed to him failed to get there.
    So the bottom line is we are now friends again and we are both in the hands of Ducati parts to deliver.
    We are both not happy this incident occurred but have talked it through and agreed that everything that could be done was carried out .
    Hopefully the Bayliss will be up and running soon.
    Last edited by Chiz; 22.08.2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Scott C

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chiz For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    749S / 1260 Multi.
    Other bikes
    Harley Davidson V-Rod.
    Youíve missed out the paragraph stating that he has offered you a V4 for the weekend and a full tank of fuel to somewhat cover you for the inconvenience and frustration !

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Good to see that you and Martin are being upfront about what has been happening. It would be in the interests of customer relations however if he offered you a loan bike for the weekend, then you would get your weekend out on the bike and would feel better for it and others would see that you had been fairly treated and that DG are good dealership to deal with.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Further to what Chiz has said: -
    Sigma clutches are designed and sourced by Neil Spalding. You may remember his name as the guy that gave the technical explanations from Eurosport when Toby and Julian did MotoGP. Apart from being a helluva nice guy, he knows so much detail about Ducati and dry clutches. So much so in fact, that he designs his clutches to utilise 1098 springs. I'm told almost all come with 1098 springs, apart from the 1098 version because the assumption from Sigma was, the client would be using original springs from a new bike. When we ordered a replacement for Chiz, our guys have then assumed that the clutch would come complete with new springs as tbh it includes absolutely everything else from plates, pressure plate, basket, bearings and so on. OK, we didn't order it online,so didn't see the small print but in our defense, we spoke to someone who probably thought we know this fact but obviously we didn't. We've fitted thousands of dry clutches over the years but only half a dozen Sigma - there are certain nuances with them that makes them just a little different to the factory variant.
    It took some weeks for the clutch to arrive and after it arrived last Wednesday, we attempted to fit it on Thursday but realised the springs weren't there. We obviously had bikes we could nick springs from but we our parts guys were given express instructions from Mr Spalding that we cannot use old/worn/after market springs as this would invalidate the warranty - obviously no one wants that on a £1k item.
    We searched the UK network and no one was holding any in stock as they are not - contrary to what some may think, a regularly used service item. New Superbikes stopped using them 7 years ago on when Streetfighter was discontinued and Hypermotard went wet clutch, they started to become far less of a requirement to hold in stock - no one we contacted had any.
    We didn't sit for a month and do nothing - the rest of the stuff we were familiar with (head bearings, fork seals etc) were all installed but the last thing we needed was the clutch to arrive - obviously arriving incomplete (in our eyes) caused the predicament we have now.

Furthermore, according to our system (which records every transaction in the dealership), we cannot see the history of this part being fitted to this bike by us (Chiz was not the first owner). As I explained to Chiz, these octopus / spider / clutch diaphragm springs don't last forever (I went through 3 on my 1098R in 6000 miles) whoever fitted it, it's lasted 9 years and 7000 miles so it is not outside the realms of possibility that it's just worn out.

The technician that gave his opinion on a lacking spacer no longer works for us so I can't explore this any further however from my own fairly extensive time with dry clutches, I assured Chiz that the spider spring is more for the 'slip' side of the clutch, not the 'bite'. I have very serious doubts as to the fact this clutch was fitted incorrectly, even although there is a strong chance it wasn't fitted by us in any event.

When can we fix it? When will the springs arrive? I can't tell the answer as we aren't being supplied the answers from the factory. It's not incompetence or lack of managment or co-ordination from our side! We ordered them emergency (next day) delivery from Italy last Thursday and they're still not here! It's been the same issues we've had all summer.

So in a nutshell, we perhaps could have been more thorough to check the specific detail on this clutch compared to all the others but it's not a preposterous assumption in the first place - it's completely understandable considering our ultra limited experience with them and the fact they normally come with them. Perhaps Sigma could have reminded us during the phone call that we should get new springs when we ordered the clutch weeks ago but they didn't. We've learned a valuable lesson from this and have now insured any other Sigma clutches will have the springs ordered, (if required) at the same time, they're a brilliant product that are well worth the dosh. Plus i've asked the parts department to ensure we carry some on the shelf permanently so this doesn't happen again.

On a personal note, i'm pretty disgusted and concerned to see some of the comments on this thread. I'll ask the forum members to bear in mind that there are 40 members of staff in here that rely on their income from this job; that's 40 families - most with children. Negativity such as this on the word wide web puts their livihood at risk - especially when such as in this case, there are understandable mitigating circumstances that were not quite so apparent in the first place. You may not like me or some other member of the staff in here and you may have what you feel is justifiable reasons for that well, fair enough but have a pop at me / them directly - don't just slag off the business in which many other people work. Please respect the livelihoods of the people in here that do their best to offer a good service, speak to me directly or email me - please do not have a bitching session on the net for the world to see as can fix most things if I know about them.

Mart
    We have moved premises to 6 Mossland Drive, Hillington Park, Glasgow G52 4FA. Take Junction 26 off M8 towards Arnold Clark, double back at the roundabout and take first left. Approximately 7 minutes drive from the old store at Great Western Road - We'd love to see you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ducati Glasgow For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Bugger. I just looked out a spare set I had off the ST4s when I put fancy rustless ones on it. I have them in a bag and could have sent them this afternoon.
    If DG weren't so anal about getting all the parts from Ducati there are plenty of 3rd party suppliers who I'm sure could do a next day delivery.
    Anal? Sorry Derek but we have a responsibilty and furthermore a binding contract with our manufacturer that dictates exactly what we supply. I'm sorry you don't like it but that's the confines we have to work within as dictated by Ducati. As you'll see from my lengthy response, there are reasons why which you've clearly not been aware of whilst posting.
    We have moved premises to 6 Mossland Drive, Hillington Park, Glasgow G52 4FA. Take Junction 26 off M8 towards Arnold Clark, double back at the roundabout and take first left. Approximately 7 minutes drive from the old store at Great Western Road - We'd love to see you

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiz View Post
    Interesting update.
    I posted on the Ducati owner club UK FACEBOOK PAGE. It was accepted by the administrator and a few commented on it. Now it has been removed .
    Has someone used their influence?
    I am sure Ducati UK and Ducati Italy will be interested in a social media site being tampered with.
    As discussed with Chiz, he informs me that he was in contact with someone on this Facebook page who decided internally that they had no desire to be involved with something like this.

So for the record, nothing to do with me or Ducati Glasgow or even DucatiUK

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by mbg View Post
    Unfortunately there seem to be people who would rather support the Ducati brand and what's in it for them rather than the owners they are meant to support and represent. No wonder they were glad to see my departure. I hasten to add I always got good feedback from Bologna once I managed to contact them directly.
    Who are the "people" you are referring to Mary? Just so i'm clear.

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by 853RS View Post
    I can sympathise with you Chiz.Afriend of mine bought an 848 from them last year and has had a few niggling problems.Bike sometimes cuts out,leak from clutch m/cyl.As the bike came with Ducati warranty no problem get it fixed through that.So he took the bike up and left it.After about 4 weeks he was informed that he was not covered under the warranty and needed a new chain and cush drive rubbers.He had just fitted a chain and sprocket kit about 6 weeks previous and cush drive rubbers.Also told they could not fix the problem with the cutting out.I checked the bike and discovered it was the side stand switch that was faulty,a common problem.Myself I ordered parts in July and not in stock so ordered them and said will give you a call when they are in.No phone call and went in today and collected the parts.That didn't happen when harry was there.
    We've changed a load of staff since last year including 4 new technicans of the available 6 on site (this is more than we've ever had), furthermore there are 2 new service advisors and a two new parts guys - the after sales organisation has a radically different look to it with complete overhauls of every system. We have a new Aftersales Manager who is sorting out a load of problems caused by the poor parts supply and Ian Murray torching his business.

It was a real loss when Harry left but he had his reasons - we're still friends but I can't ever see him coming back although that door will always be open to him - i've told him that.

However, there is no pool of Ducati trained people in this country. Harry was the only Ducati parts guy in the whole of Scotland. We've replaced him with a great fella called Iain that used to work at Infinity. He's got years of parts supply experience in various places and is spending his time familiarising himself with the Ducati product but with the best will in the world he's only been with us a few months, it'll take a couple of years and more to learn all the intricacies of the dozens of models in our history - however, I have every faith in his abilities but he's only just getting his foot in the door.

On my behalf, please ask you friend to try us again.

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
    We went to the launch of the 1100 Scrambler day in May.

This was a bike I was considering adding to my garage, my mate went out on a Hypermotard which broke down, the dash went completely blank and it cut out.
    I checked over a few things and we got it going again but no proper read out on the dash.

I've been told it still hasn't been fixed !!!!!

Now that's a bit worrying, are they THAT busy or do they need more properly trained staff or even do a bit of O.T. to catch up like we've all done over the years to get our toys ?

I was looking to have 2 new tyres for my new bike and they quoted end of August/September !!

Victor Devines had them done in 2 days. I've since had another set installed on my project wheels because they were such a good deal, details to follow, I hope it works out
    Brian, we haven't fixed the Hypermotard (albeit coincidentally it will be fixed this week) because we are prioritising our customers bikes first - it's that simple and tbh I think that is commendable.

And yes we are that busy and yes we are doing O.T and furthermore we are hiring more people BUT it is not our fault the parts warehouse in Italy moved and we can't get parts when we need them. When we get a delivery, we blast through it until the work is done - I doubt Victor is Having these problems right now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ducati Glasgow For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    We have courtesy bikes available but we are limited to this supply by Ducati - Chiz, just the same as every one of our customers would be welcome to one albeit I don't know if one is available.

Anyone simply needs to ask if our service advisors don't offer the option - please tell them I said so.

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by David848 View Post
    You’ve missed out the paragraph stating that he has offered you a V4 for the weekend and a full tank of fuel to somewhat cover you for the inconvenience and frustration !
    If only that were possible - I would gladly offer it!

Ducati models
    Panigale V4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Briantheb View Post
    Totally agree, even without all these troubles there should have been a complimentary bike made available if required, and especially now as A) they have right royally cocked this all up B) it’s now interfering with you’re plans and putting out of pocket regarding a prior arrangement that they were aware of and had agreed to a specific deadline for have your bike back in working condition and on the road !
    I always get offered a bike for the day when my own is in at Ducati Leeds - even when the job only took 45 mins (fitting heated grips) I was away all round Yorkshire and the North Peak District for the day on a M/S Enduro. When in for 9k service had a M/S 1260 for the day. At that time there was a chop on the coating on and engine cover identified, image taken and sent to Ducati there and then, 10 days later I got a call saying the part was in and when asked if I could bring the bike in that week to have it fitted, the 1260 was also made available for that day.
    But as you'll now see, we haven't royally cocked up. As i've said already, there are multiple courtesy bikes available for our customers to use - if they're not booked out, everyone is welcome to them.

But to you and everyone else reading this - every Ducati dealer (I think) has a courtesy bike paid for by that dealer,(we have three at our disposal) they are not supplied by Ducati and have a depreciating value. Furthermore, it is not part of the conditions of being a Ducati dealer that we have to supply courtesy or replacement bike for broken down bikes, whether new or used. For the avoidance of doubt, it is not a legal requirement either - not yet anyway.

Please don't think i'm trying to be argumentative or confrontational - i'm just stating the bare facts of courtesy / loan vehicles, please bare it in mind.

Therefore the ones we are able to provide are indeed a courtesy and should not be considered automatic. That being said, we will always, where humanly possible provide assitance with a bike if we have the ability, especially considering the geography of our country.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Ducati Glasgow For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ducati Glasgow View Post
    Anal? Sorry Derek but we have a responsibilty and furthermore a binding contract with our manufacturer that dictates exactly what we supply. I'm sorry you don't like it but that's the confines we have to work within as dictated by Ducati. As you'll see from my lengthy response, there are reasons why which you've clearly not been aware of whilst posting.
    OK, I accept that. I wasn't aware that there was a warranty issue involved, I was only trying to help Chiz get back on on the road.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    M 1200R M S4RS 999S
    Other bikes
    strimmer, lawnmower & leafblower
    Slightly off topic....to the two new members that joined up here in Inverness on Saturday & are having their first week on the forum can I just say that it's not usually this confrontational.please don't think this happens all the time...ok, ding ding, round 2.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t-ripple-ate For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Ducati 900 Supersport
    Other bikes
    Ducati S2r Monster KTM 990 Adventure
    I'm not even reading all of the replies here at the moment, I've skipped to the end on a whim, I'm even going to say I'm correct in doing this !

Martin, the fact that you have even come on here to explain day to day business that really isn't anyone else's concern except yours, your partners and employees is OUTSTANDING customer service.

I know it all too well when there is a knock on effect with internal issues when other suppliers disrupt your own plans.
    These issues are what make assumptions to how any business operates OPINION only.

One of the main reasons I left the manufacturer and started my own company was this in itself and said company still have a negative influence due to parts supply.
    I now inform my customers that I'll book their job in once I actually have the parts, a personal privilege I am still able to do ! Not everyone is in this situation.

Again Martin, having taken the time to inform people of the tasks that you've had to deal with is testament in itself to the passion for Ducati and their customers.
    I had issue with a member of your staff, Some know, some don't.
    It's all in the past and was a personal sale and not DG, this was the reason it took a long while for me to return regularly to the store and the brand.

This year I have probably visited more to DG than the last 3 years put together with a serious interest in a purchase that no other brand could fulfill, I've gotten to know new staff and old again and finally relaxed a bit more, any store like this can be overwhelming on entry.

All the best Brian
    you can run............ but I'd rather be on my Monster

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeePee For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast