+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it just me that doesn't get on with Mutlistradas/ what Duc next?

Ducati models
    916 RIP, 996 BP

Default Is it just me that doesn't get on with Mutlistradas/ what Duc next?

Having parted with a large amount of cash for a low mileage 1200S, the niggles started when I had to push the lump around the car into the garage. Then there is the awkward postion of the clutch cover pushing your right foot out and the angle to depress the back brake means you have to be a Yogi to use it.

Next, even at 6ft, an adverse camber entry to a roundabout meant imposing into a car driver's personal space when I put my foot down at stationary as the bike leant over and over. Strenuous workout of leg muscles to keep 45o bike off adjacent car. Even though it went like a train, sold after just 500 miles at £break even.

Suggestions please for a Duc for 200/300 mile days (as 996 just hit 30k) and a week or so of touring abroad. Supersport S looks the part but used ones are still £10K at 2/3 years old? Thought about a Monster 821 Stripe but has anyone got any experience of touring on one? Accessories required?

Ducati models
    Panigale 1199R
    Have a look at a hyperstrada. Really enjoyed mine. Comes with a tall screen and panniers as standard, and a punchy 821cc engine. Panniers easily clip off for a Sunday blast, and they handle superbly.
    2013 to 2015 models for 4k to 6k ish.

Ducati models
    749bp
    Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    Having parted with a large amount of cash for a low mileage 1200S, the niggles started when I had to push the lump around the car into the garage. Then there is the awkward postion of the clutch cover pushing your right foot out and the angle to depress the back brake means you have to be a Yogi to use it.

Next, even at 6ft, an adverse camber entry to a roundabout meant imposing into a car driver's personal space when I put my foot down at stationary as the bike leant over and over. Strenuous workout of leg muscles to keep 45o bike off adjacent car. Even though it went like a train, sold after just 500 miles at £break even.

Suggestions please for a Duc for 200/300 mile days (as 996 just hit 30k) and a week or so of touring abroad. Supersport S looks the part but used ones are still £10K at 2/3 years old? Thought about a Monster 821 Stripe but has anyone got any experience of touring on one? Accessories required?
    My Diavel is up for sale.
    Perfect for regular use and touring.
    Even has the panniers.
    Also low miles and less than £10k.
    Would you be interested?

Ducati models
    749bp
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
    My Diavel is up for sale.
    Perfect for regular use and touring.
    Even has the panniers.
    Also low miles and less than £10k.
    Would you be interested?
    And I've done tours of Italy on monsters and Diavels and would take the Diavel every time

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    I know what you mean about the 1200 Multi Adi. I had mine for nearly 5 years and over 30,000 miles on it including several European trips and although it was brilliant out on the road I always found the height a liability. I'm only 5'9" with short 29" legs so probably in worse position than you. In the first weeks I had the bike I stopped at traffic lights in Glasgow and put my foot down right into a 2" deep pothole I was very close to dropping it and not for the last time.
    A year past June I sold it and bought a new Supersport. What a relief to have a bike that is light, comfortable, with a low seat and easy to maneuver around when taking it out of the garage and with the panniers it makes a great sports tourer.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    1098 s, MTS 1200s.
    Other bikes
    Aprilia RSVR.

Default In defence

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I know what you mean about the 1200 Multi Adi. I had mine for nearly 5 years and over 30,000 miles on it including several European trips and although it was brilliant out on the road I always found the height a liability. I'm only 5'9" with short 29" legs so probably in worse position than you. In the first weeks I had the bike I stopped at traffic lights in Glasgow and put my foot down right into a 2" deep pothole I was very close to dropping it and not for the last time.
    A year past June I sold it and bought a new Supersport. What a relief to have a bike that is light, comfortable, with a low seat and easy to maneuver around when taking it out of the garage and with the panniers it makes a great sports tourer.
    IN DEFENCE OF THE MULTI 1200s, THIS IS THE BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER RIDDEN. LOTS OF POWER ONE UP, AND VERY COMFORTABLE EVEN WITH A SMALL SCREEN. I TOO HAVE A 29"- 30" LEG WHICH IS ON THE LIMIT FOR ME. REMEMBER THE 2018 MODEL IS SUPERB WITH QUICK/DOWN SHIFTER, LOWERED SEAT WHICH I COULD GET MY FEET FLAT WITH AND A CORNERING ABS UPGRADED SYSTEM. I WILL BE UPGRADING MY 1200s TO THE 1260 IN A COUPLE OF YEARS, CANT WAIT.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ray wynn For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    MTS 1200s DVT
    Other bikes
    GasGas EC 300.
    I'm with Ray on this. I've a 16 plate. The 3rd multi I've owned. Believe me when I say the mk3 & mk4 "DVT" multistrada are nothing nothing like the first two generations!!! Seat night is lower than a 1299 Panigali !!!! And that's genuine official Ducati spec. The DVT also for slow town / city speeds and low seat/centre off gravity make this a bike that handles and feels like it should not and definitely looks like it would not. All leave you with this try one before you knock one you will be surprised and shocked mk3&4 really are totally different although they share the same name and similar looks

P.s. I'm 10 st, 5ft9
    TO BE ALWAYS SURE OF HITTING THE TARGET, SHOOT FIRST, THEN CALL WHATEVER YOU HIT THE TARGET.

Ducati models
    749bp
    Or just get a Diavel.
    Same engine as the multi and features.
    But Much lower seat height and centre of gravity and great handling.
    Win win all round 😂😂😂

Ducati models
    749u & MTS PP Tricolore
    I bought a 2014 Pikes Peak back in summer 2017, it is my second ducati (749 with 51k on the clock) and it'll be my last.. The only use i have for it now, is just for work and back, after clocking miles up to Scotland, Land Ends to Groats via Wales & NC500 all in one hit... local blast doesnt seem logical...

Great bike, never miss a beat... please my didnt come with the centre stand, after riding the DVT with the centre stand i found my feet was restricted from going back any further.

Ducati models
    916 RIP, 996 BP
    Test rode a 821 Monster, really lovely bike to ride without the mass. I am told there are a few small mods you can make for touring. Very Ducati, lithe, sporty without being Volvo estate-ish. Sorry but for me Multis don't have the same DNA as 851/888/916/996/998. For many that might be what attracts them to Multis? Perhaps I am wrong..............doubt it. La Bella Figura

Ducati models
    1098 s, MTS 1200s.
    Other bikes
    Aprilia RSVR.

Default Missing the point

Quote Originally Posted by adi View Post
    test rode a 821 monster, really lovely bike to ride without the mass. I am told there are a few small mods you can make for touring. Very ducati, lithe, sporty without being volvo estate-ish. Sorry but for me multis don't have the same dna as 851/888/916/996/998. For many that might be what attracts them to multis? Perhaps i am wrong..............doubt it.:d la bella figura
    i think you are missing the point. The multi-tasker is ideal for b-roads or going touring. Not on a 916. As for your dna the multi starts first time and never breaks down, unlike some of the models you just mentioned.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by ray wynn View Post
    ... the multi starts first time and never breaks down, unlike some of the models you just mentioned.
    Not according to what I read on the other forum!

Ducati models
    1098 s, MTS 1200s.
    Other bikes
    Aprilia RSVR.

Default 8 k

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    not according to what i read on the other forum!
    i did 8 thousand miles last year on the multi in very warm conditions and it never gave my any problems.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    I did over 30,000 miles with no problems but that's not to say they don't go wrong. The trouble is that when they do, because of the complex electronic onboard systems it's usually well beyond the capabilities of the average owner to fix it or even diagnose the cause of the problem.

Ducati models
    1098 s, MTS 1200s.
    Other bikes
    Aprilia RSVR.

Default Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    i did over 30,000 miles with no problems but that's not to say they don't go wrong. The trouble is that when they do, because of the complex electronic onboard systems it's usually well beyond the capabilities of the average owner to fix it or even diagnose the cause of the problem.
    cant debate the electronic side of things with you, cos your correct. But would you choose a plain old 1200 mts or a different manufacturer of touring bike.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    I would choose a Multi over other manufacturers offerings if I wanted an adventure bike - but I don't. And believe me the BMW GS has no end of issues despite their huge popularity.

Ducati models
    916 RIP, 996 BP
    It is strange that in developing the Multistrada, Ducati have sought to envelope multi-people (ignoring profit) as we are all different hence we ride bikes. In developing a one size fits all bike, does that take Ducati away from being an individual choice? Handed down history (thanks Rockjock for the memory) has it that Ducati Up North was created many years ago by 1 or 2 Ducs turning up at Hartside (or similar) and being the only ones there on a Ducati. Hondas, etc wall to wall.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Adi For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    1098 s, MTS 1200s.
    Other bikes
    Aprilia RSVR.
    Thats a bit of a riddle. Just say what you mean.

Ducati models
    MultiStrada 950
    Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post

Sorry to here you just can’t get on with your 1200s. I have the 950, part 1200, part Enduro but with the 939 engine and I love it. I have a shed load of bikes but only the 950 comes out to play now, plus have been riding for over 40 years and consider it the best bike I’ve owned. I’ve ridden all Ducati’s M/S offerings at some point and feel the 950 is the perfect option (I do however hanker after all the toys on the new 950s). If you were originally attracted to what a M/S has to offer then Perhaps your should try a 950(s) before you right off the idea of owning one all together. As for other Ducati model to try, I can’t offer any advice as although I make think their bloody gorgeous the 950 is the only I need. Good luck finding the right one for you.

+ Reply to Thread