+ Reply to Thread

Thread: valve clearance and Compression

Ducati models
    SS900

Default valve clearance and Compression

Thanks in advance for any advice on the following situation. I am rebuilding a ducati 900 air cooled engine. After a good deal of fiddling, I finally seemed to have the valve cllearances ideal. I used the info off of this website to adjust clearances. When I first tested compression, it was barely 120 psi in either cylinder. This seemed low so I fiddled some more, focusing on the getting the closers tighter (especially exhaust) and the openersrs more loose. This was due to my lack of. shims options. In the process of fiddliing, I found that very loose openers (greater than .009 in ) gave me the best compression (140-145 psi)..the openers now for both intake and exhaust are way looser than spec but gives:me much compression, which I always thought meant power.

Am I correct in that assumption? Should I go for max compression and not worry if clearances are over spec?

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    I'm not sure that your procedure for adjusting and measuring the clearances is correct. If a tighter opener clearances are reducing the compression I would suggest that the valves aren't fully seating. You should be aiming for opener clearances of 3-4 thou inlet and 4-5 thou exhaust and all closers at 0-2 thou.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    BSA 441 VICTOR,Ducati 250 scrambler Triumph 5ta, Tribsa,Montessa Cota, Gilera
    One other thing! too tight on the closing shim will result in rapid cam and closing rocker wear, as Derek suggests try lapping in the valves if the seats do not need re-cutting.
    Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

+ Reply to Thread