Closed Thread

Thread: Mid summer ride

Ducati models
    MultiStrada 950

Default Mid summer ride

Looking for details of Friday 21st June rise out, can anyone tell me what the arrangements are ?

Ducati models
    749bp

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieT For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Your guess is as good as mine Brian. Nothing on here. Nothing on the DUN calendar. I haven't been able to access the SDC website for near a fortnight but I doubt if you'll find anything there either. Communication from the SDC seems to be worse than ever.
    I'm abroad right now and won't be back until Saturday so can't make this one any but the arrangement according to the newsletter of a couple of days ago is to meet at Stirling and head for West Kilbride!

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    1299 ye ha. Cafe racer
    Sounds a good idea but will be doing dg track night.

I did think at the agm we agreed to use this forum for communication ???

Ducati models
    Troy Bayliss 1098 & 900SL
    Other bikes
    Suzuki GS1000S
    They prefer the FB page. Told the forum was old school
    Scott C

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Fuck Facebook! The SDC have become a clique

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Monster 796
    Other bikes
    1968 Bultaco Sherpa 250, Aermacchi 344GP Ala d’Oro 1972, Norton ES2 1958, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Sunbeam 250 Semi-Sports 1936, 1926 Raleigh-JAP 350 Special, 1969 Bultaco Matador 250 mk3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiz View Post
    They prefer the FB page. Told the forum was old school
    Well said Chiz, some of we members ARE “old school “!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Domenico For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    900SL, 900SS x2
    Other bikes
    A varied bunch..
    There’s a Facebook page??

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    Suzuki GS1000S
    From the FB page .This really sums it up. ... it's a f....ing joke.From the FB Page after I asked them to post on here.
    "We will attempt to but not sure if we can? Any idea how we can do that? Are you attending? " I cannot believe this. What the ....... was decided at the agm.
    Last edited by Chiz; 23.06.2019 at 08:06 PM.
    Scott C

Ducati models
    M 1200R M S4RS 999S
    Other bikes
    strimmer, lawnmower & leafblower
    Must be an age thing Derek, i am not nor have any interest in joining face book, if that makes me behind the times ( or old) then so be it, this forum should be for us old timers then i guess.. pass the horlicks someone please!

Ducati models
    M 1200R M S4RS 999S
    Other bikes
    strimmer, lawnmower & leafblower
    Chiz i am really sorry, i was at the agm but my hearing aids must have been turned down or i zoned out when face book was debated coz i don't remember much said about it, so i can't recall what was decided..bugger...senior moment...again!!

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    Suzuki GS1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by t-ripple-ate View Post
    Chiz i am really sorry, i was at the agm but my hearing aids must have been turned down or i zoned out when face book was debated coz i don't remember much said about it, so i can't recall what was decided..bugger...senior moment...again!!
    I commented a few months ago about the lack of information and was told the forum was old hat. Therefore they were going to utilise FB and Instagram I believe. But I am told nothing like that was decided at the AGM. That is why it's another year with little info.
    Then the post on FB that appears to suggest that the DUN site was not known to the person posting on FB.
    I've about had enough of it all and will be giving the SDC a wide berth.
    Scott C

Ducati models
    916-SPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Fuck Facebook! The SDC have become a clique
    Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946

Ducati models
    DS1000
    Other bikes
    Ducati ST4s
    Whatever the club is its not a clique. It remains open to all including those old school who refuse to engage with social media.
    However, it is a two way street and the fact is there are a few members who communicate by DUN only but the majority do engage with social media.

Perhaps if you were to attend a meet or two you would realise that clique is the wrong description for the club. Look forward to seeing you at the Midgie Masher in August.

Ducati models
    DS1000
    Other bikes
    Ducati ST4s
    Thanks for your post. What it sums up is that you are quick to criticise and slow to assist. As far as I was concerned it was 'NOT' my emphasis decided at the AGM that
    DUN was to be closed down and the focus put on Facebook. However, given the negativity from some members on this thread I do wonder if it is worthwhile. The club is a positive organisation,
    My response to you Chiz on Facebook was an honest assessment of my own capabilities or lack thereof when it comes to converting Facebook to DUN.

The forum remains for all by the way.

You might be interested to know that the official communication at the recent World President's meeting was by WhatsApp group which I had to join or not know what was going on. Adapt or die is a very good Darwin phrase.

I am sorry you want to leave. I wish you well in whatever your endeavours are but perhaps if you came along to an event you might change your mind.

Regards

Douglas

Ducati models
    DS1000
    Other bikes
    Ducati ST4s
    What do you want from the Club Derek? You are openly critical of whatever we do whenever we do it. You go on about SDC communication being worse than ever in your post to Brian above yet you clearly
    received the Newsletter and the information therein. I have stayed quiet for long enough. It is not appropriate for such criticism to be levelled when it is not warranted.
    Many club members commented on what they wanted for the club going forward at the Highland Fling which I know you could not attend. As an early warning next year it is back to the Bank Holiday weekend.
    I am a thick skinned individual but constant destructive criticism of the Club communication is neither justified or helpful. If you have something to say about how communication could be better please let me know.
    There are approximately four or so regular users of the forum. When we publish events or pictures on Facebook the engagement is 1,125 people forgive me therefore if the DUN forum is perhaps not the Club's major communication focal point. You may gather that I have now gained access to the forum and as such I am looking forward to more positive posts and creative criticism. I have no time for destruction. If you are coming to the Midgie Masher we can discuss further over a pint hopefully. Regards Douglas

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    Suzuki GS1000S
    Well, we have finally go a response. Cheers.
    Scott C

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by DWJ View Post
    What do you want from the Club Derek? You are openly critical of whatever we do whenever we do it. You go on about SDC communication being worse than ever in your post to Brian above yet you clearly
    received the Newsletter and the information therein. I have stayed quiet for long enough. It is not appropriate for such criticism to be levelled when it is not warranted.
    Many club members commented on what they wanted for the club going forward at the Highland Fling which I know you could not attend. As an early warning next year it is back to the Bank Holiday weekend.
    I am a thick skinned individual but constant destructive criticism of the Club communication is neither justified or helpful. If you have something to say about how communication could be better please let me know.
    There are approximately four or so regular users of the forum. When we publish events or pictures on Facebook the engagement is 1,125 people forgive me therefore if the DUN forum is perhaps not the Club's major communication focal point. You may gather that I have now gained access to the forum and as such I am looking forward to more positive posts and creative criticism. I have no time for destruction. If you are coming to the Midgie Masher we can discuss further over a pint hopefully. Regards Douglas
    Douglas, The newsletters are sporadic, information is scant and they largely have nothing much of interest to the ordinary member. The May issue gave notice of a Summer Solstice run on 21st June , which I wasn't going to be able to make, but the details of when and where weren't announced until the June newsletter of the 17th. A bit short notice and given the start and finish locations I wouldn't have been able to take part anyway. The S. Queensferry event wasn't mentioned in a Newsletter until after the event.
    I would happily come to more club events but most of them are a long way from me, and to be frank there are far less than there used to be. A couple of years ago there would be at least one social meeting every month and a run every month from April to October across the biking season. The current committee seem to look no further than the immediate few weeks ahead. The calendar on SDC website shows nothing after the Highland Fling until the Anstruther meet in November! and the page itself is a scrambled mess. How can non-Facebook users get any idea of what is going on from that?
    Surely, even if the committee do not want to be involved with DUN, it wouldn't take much effort to update the DUN calendar with planned events - then everybody would know, not just those who participate in the Facebook group.
    You tell us that that it is "a two way street" but if the club chooses to communicate only through Facebook then those who do not wish to join the Facebook group are excluded since there is no other way of communicating. This is one of the reasons why I have appeared to criticise the club on here. There are no other means open to me.
    Like you, I attended a World President's meeting a few years back and was encouraged to join Facebook as a means of communication. I needn't have bothered I'd have managed just as well without it but joining Facebook brought a deluge of emails about all sorts of people in these groups, where they were, where they'd been, what they were doing, what they were eating, etc, etc... I have no interest in that and have no wish to tell people about me. I hated it and eventually shut down all notifications so I now get no Facebook messages and have to log in to see anything in the unlikely event that I'd want to.
    Incidentally, there have been over 40 logins to DUN in the last 24 hours, the majority of which have been regulars for a long time. Facebook works with a very different structure and it will be much easier to achieve 1125 participants.

Edit : And I do intend to come to Midgie Masher and perhaps we could discuss this further.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Closed Thread