+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help !

Ducati models
    350 Sebring

Default Help !

DVLA wont allow me to register the 1966 Sebring that I have finally finished. They tell me that because there is no VIN plate (even though I know that the VIN sticker was destroyed when the frame was powder coated), they have to issue a new VIN, which makes it a new bike and has to pass a Type Approval test.

As most of the 1960s bikes used the same frame, I have wondered about sourcing a frame with a VIN, or better still, a V5 and simply transferring all the new stuff onto it.

So, does anyone have such a thing ?

Thanks if you read all this

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    The frame number should be stamped into the frame near to the headstock, the front down tube or close to the rear engine mount. It may have been covered with the powder coating but should still be there. Look very closely, you may have to scrape off some of the coating for it to be legible.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    350 Sebring
    Hi Derek, I believe that my Sebring was part of the Hannah shipment diverted from the States. These bikes apparently only had foil stickers instead of stamped numbers. I have sent DVLA lots of evidence about this, but they’re not shifting. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    The frame number should be stamped into the frame near to the headstock, the front down tube or close to the rear engine mount. It may have been covered with the powder coating but should still be there. Look very closely, you may have to scrape off some of the coating for it to be legible.

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco + GP800
    Too much of this going on with the DVLA these days IMHO.

I 'nearly' bought a nice 900ss Japanese import from eBay but lack of UK registration that the seller stated 'was easy' will make me stray away from anything like this in the future.

Back to the OP, can the factory help in any way?

Good luck

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    BSA 441 VICTOR,Ducati 250 scrambler Triumph 5ta, Tribsa,Montessa Cota, Gilera
    Check around the rear engine mounts or maybe on the frame spine at that point. I think on early models that is where a number was stamped or was on a narrow case frame I had. If you recorded the number you can get the tin badge on fleabay from the states and stamp the numbers yourself Failing that see if you can match your engine number here and gather the frame number from that unless its been a box of bits. http://www.bevelheaven.com/data-single.htm

Sam
    Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Ducati models
    888 SP5,916 Strada,DB2SR
    I went through exactly this with my '66 Monza.. full story in these two links:

https://ducatimonza.wordpress.com/20.../registration/

https://ducatimonza.wordpress.com/20...-new-identity/

Regards,
    Mike

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Good info there Mike.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    350 Sebring
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post.

It’s very interesting that you have such a similar story to my own. I have supplied DVLA with a letter from Ducati confirming date of build (in Italian but with a translation), several photocopies of extracts from books explaining the origins of the “Hannah” shipment and the fact that the bikes only had foil stickers, a dating certificate from the DOC and the Vintage Motorcycle Club but they just won’t have it. They seem hung-up on the fact that they have issued a new VIN, making it, in their eyes, a new bike.
    I’ll keep plugging away. Thanks, Dave

+ Reply to Thread