+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 860GT Resurrection ignition and charging questions

Ducati models
    860GT

Default 860GT Resurrection ignition and charging questions

Hi all, Iím currently resurrecting my old 860GT and have a few questions. Although itíll stay looking like an 860GT Iím replacing some of the old, crap bits with more modern replacements. Iíve got the switchgear, brakes and carbs sorted and now Iím on the ignition and charging. It currently has a Lucas Rita that works perfectly well but I want something more modern and less obtrusive. The choice seems to be between Sachse and Silent Hektic. Both look very similar and from what I can tell both work pretty well. Iím currently drawn to the SH because itís cheaper and comes as a full package complete with coils. I think I might have to remove the flywheel though? Bike came with electric start; I removed it and found a kickstart casing back in the day but canít remember what else I took off. The original ignition is probably still inside. Any thoughts on ignition choice?

I also want to replace the reg/rec; once again it works OK but itís 45 years old and has been in a damp garage for most of the time. Is this the sort of thing I need?

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acat...88-860GTS.html

Any help or advice gratefully received. Iím located in Belper Derbyshire btw (for now).

thanks

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    I'm not in a position to advise on any of these ignition systems but they are both highly rated. The original ignition generator should be behind the flywheel.
    The Electrex reg/rect should work fine but you won't need the white wire which I believe is for a charge warning light. If your alternator is of the 3 wire type with two yellow and one red wire, connect the 2 yellow wires to the yellow wires of the regulator and leave the red disconnected with the end insulated.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    900S2
    I can only endorse what Derek said; both those ignition systems are very good, although the Sachse is by far the more popular, possibly because it is more commonly sold outside Germany. I'd be wary about having to dispense with the flywheel though, bevels have a very different character to the belt engines and most of that is down to the weight of the flywheel on the bevels.

Ducati models
    81 MHR
    I just read the Sachse instructions for your bike and you are correct, the combo flywheel/ignition trigger is replaced with the aluminium Sachse trigger wheel. On my 81 MHR, I went with Sachse, Dynatek coils and HT leads, NGK plug caps and a Shendingen regulator. The instructions for set-up are a little different between our bikes but I can state that for my bike, it was really easy. If I recall correctly, the Sachse system has zero advance at start to make the bike easier to start and prevent back-firing so losing the inertia from the original flywheel may not be an issue.

I did not use any special tools to determine TDC, just a chopstick in the front pot plug hole. The Sachse instructions for the GT860 neglect to state that the piston you are starting with for setup is the front one.

My system has been flawless since I installed it. First kick start-up maybe 9 times out of 10, I'm sure the 1 time I kick twice is because I did not tickle long enough.

If you need any help installing the system, just ask.

Ducati models
    81 MHR
    The Sachse electric start system is different from the kick start one. If you go Sachse be very careful; how far did you go with the removal of the electric start? If you simply removed the e-start parts but still have the original flywheel then the original flywheel is modified by removing and replacing magnets and then put back in for the e-start model. The Sachse instructions are on their website for all models.

+ Reply to Thread